SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Organic Bananas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organic Bananas Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I was at the grocery store today, asked the guy who was stocking the fruit area what the difference was between the 59¢ / pound bananas and the 68¢ bananas.

The more expensive ones were "organic." They looked pretty much the same to me.

So, what makes a banana "organic," and why would I care? Just curious.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Without using the GoogleFU, I believe it's the non use man made pesticides mostly.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've bought them at a much greater price difference. I might say it tasted slightly different, not necessarily better. But they were the same as the non organic ones, picked way too soon, not ripe and flavorless.

AFAIK "organic" doesn't mean much as far as set industry standards

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Don't they spray them with a chemical to control the ripening process? Could be the organic ones don't get the spray. Just guessing.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The organic ones are not gased to ripen them. They are usually much darker green. I like them because they don't turn to mush nearly as fast. They seem to have a longer time in that perfectly yellow zone. The non-organic usually ripen nice for a day and turn to mush the next day.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
By definition, all bananas are organic, but some are 'more organic than others'.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Organic bananas are grown without insecticides. There are many varieties of this fruit, but the Cavendish are grown because they are more resilient.

The bananas that ripen on the tree are superb and are not pithy.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
taste like sheetrock dust,chalky like almond milk.Yuk

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I won't buy any product labeled "organic"

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

We like maple syrup on pancakes, French toast, and waffles.

The lowest cost that we have found is ten dollars and change for a quart at Costco. "Organic" is the only type that they have.

I would not go out of my way for something labeled "organic," but I would not refuse to buy it just because of that label, especially if it were known to be good quality and lower cost than competing products. Kirkland Signature meets both of those tests more often than not.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I didn't say you shouldn't buy it. I said I won't buy it and that's the truth. I have my reasons.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I don't either. I think the whole concept is a scam. Now Karen on the other hand will because it's what the 'woke' crowd does. Marketing geniuses targeted a group of sheep that are also the ones wearing masks while driving.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked in Ag for 30 years. Organic is pretty much BS. Lots of touchy feely BS.
Free range chicken and eggs are a sick joke.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you love a chicken, set it free. If it comes back to you, it better be deep fried and on a bun.

posted Hide Post
The organic bananas taste much better. Hard to go back to non organic ones now.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
First world problems

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think the term organic is grossly overused. Probably one of the most tortured words used. I put it in the same category as shampoo where the instruction uses the word ‘repeat’

If you fall for that kind of crap. That and non-gmo and gluten free. Some stuff marked gluten free never had gluten in it to begin with but it will trigger the less intelligent part of the population to do nothing but increase the revenues.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The label.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My nearby grocery has a fresh meat market. In the case, you just point to what you want, they weight it, wrap it and hand it to you.

They've always had "regular" boneless skinless chicken breasts and the "organic" ones.

Recently they had another tray and sign of boneless chicken breasts which read "Natural".

I asked what the heck that meant, "Natural" boneless skinless chicken breasts, and the meat counter guy shrugged and said I dunno.

Neither could the manager tell me the difference or just what "Natural" means, so I assume, and I beleive correctly, that it's just another marketing gimmick.

Oh, and BTW, the "Natural" was price pointed right between regular and organic.

Marketing. We are marketed to every minute of every day, everything is. The sooner we realize this the better educated and wiser consumers we become. Everything and every time is designed to separate us from our money.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I like the term "cage free eggs".

Of course they are, because why would you need to put an egg in a cage? So it doesn't roll away? Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post