SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Organic Bananas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organic Bananas Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I like the term "cage free eggs".

Of course they are, because why would you need to put an egg in a cage? So it doesn't roll away? Wink

LOLOLOLOL

I've noticed a big difference in the taste/tenderness of fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts. I've found the Springer Mountain ones are noticeably better than most other brands.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Organic produce are grown using “natural” pesticides.

“ But are the higher prices for these theoretically safer products really worth it? A study by researchers at Stanford University reveals organic products aren’t necessarily more nutritional, nor are they less susceptible to contamination. From their report:

The review yielded scant evidence that conventional foods posed greater health risks than organic products. While researchers found that organic produce had a 30 percent lower risk of pesticide contamination than conventional fruits and vegetables, organic foods are not necessarily 100 percent free of pesticides. What’s more, as the researchers noted, the pesticide levels of all foods generally fell within the allowable safety limits.”

Now about “organic bananas”

“The thick skins on many fruits and vegetables protect them from pesticides. While pesticides may linger on banana peels, for example, we obviously don’t eat the peels. Many products also lack pesticides because they don’t attract as many insects and harmful organisms. Here’s 10 where organic is expensive overkill.

Avocados
Bananas
Pineapple”

https://www.moneytalksnews.com...c-and-12-you-should/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
we obviously don’t eat the peels.
Wait . . . We don't eat the peels? Wow, I'm going to have to try a banana without the peel.

Why didn't sigmonkey tell us not to eat the peels?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, the kids smoked the peel and were sure they got high from it!!

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
They call me Mellow Yellow,
Quite rightly

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Organic Bananas

I think I saw that group back in 1969 in California, but my memory was pretty hazy back then...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a lot of organic bananas when I lived in Jamaica. Had tree in my front yard. Also ate a lot of boiled green bananas

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Organic Bananas

I think I saw that group back in 1969 in California, but my memory was pretty hazy back then...

I think that was Banarama.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Try peeling bananas from the bottom end. Works better. That is all.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The organic bananas taste much better. Hard to go back to non organic ones now.
I've bought them on occasion when they look better. Yes, the flavor was better. That may have been due to the specific variety of banana rather than being grown without pesticides.

I far prefer non-"organic" apples for the consistency and freshness.

Organic milk or cheese? Forget it. Stomach cramps galore.

Lately I've yearly been picking a grapefruit tree bare on an ex-inlaw's property in Arizona. They are technically 'organic' but all that means is that the fruits are inconsistent in size; some are sour, some sweet; some with thick rinds, some thin, some seeded, some not. They'll still rot your teeth if you eat too many of them.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I always buy inorganic.

I used to have a lab coworker I joked with, asking her when she brought organic produce if she used organic salt to season it.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Organic Bananas

I think that was Banarama.

if so, that would be 1979 not 1969,

but he said he was hazy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think Organic just means dirty.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought essentially all food was organic, given that it is made up of primarily carbon based compounds, as in organic chemistry.

"Organic" is a poorly chosen word for hippies to use to indicate the item is pesticide free, or whatever.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I thought essentially all food was organic, given that it is made up of primarily carbon based compounds, as in organic chemistry.

Bingo!

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post