SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do you hate more, Comcast or Verizon?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you hate more, Comcast or Verizon? Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
Google "I hate Verizon" or "I hate Comcast" and you get many hits for boards that are just complaints and rants about these two rip-off companies. I had Verizon for years. The bill went up to about $250 a month for phone, internet and television. "WTF?" I thought to myself one morning, "WTFF?"

So: I called Verizon and canceled service after talking with Comcast (Xfinity) and being assured I could get great service for $77 a month with just internet and television. I decided to drop the landline altogether, because it mainly serves to allow telemarketers to pester at all hours.

The Comcast installer got everything set up, but a storm rolled in that knocked power out, so I could not review with him exactly what we had. When power returned, and I got the television boxes working, we had about 4 channels. A total of 4.

I know, I know, this is where some of you will call me an idiot for not ascertaining exactly what I was getting when I talked with the Comcast rep on the phone to order service. Before you cast that stone, try talking with a Comcast-- or Verizon-- rep. Film-flam men are chickenshit compared with a Comcast rep. And there's this to deal with: they will simply outright lie to you.

I called customer service-- a joke right there-- and the rep told me that my mistake, see, was that I ordered the "internet plus" package. That has only a few channels. I told her that I was told there was a big lineup of channels. No, no, she said, you are thinking of the "Premium". AND-- lucky day for me-- today I could get the "Premium" package for LESS than the "Starter" package I had just decided to move up to. "What's the bottom line? What exactly will I pay each month?" "Just a minute" and they put you on hold with the sound of keyboards being worked frantically.

"225 channels, plus Internet Blast" (high speed internet) "will cost you $162 per month."

Hmm. Not $77. But less than $250. "Okay," I said, "I'll take that package."

Next day I got a confirmation email with -- this is true-- a "Explaining your Comcast Bill" instructional video. You know you are going to get fucked over when the company sends you an instructional video to explain your bill. When I tried to play it, I got an error message. But the email listed my monthly payment at $264.

I decided to wait a couple of days to call them about this because i was just too mad, and sure that I would tell them things that I knew I should not tell them, and that might, in fact, violate several laws.

Today when I turned the television on, I got: 3 channels. Total of 3 channels. But they did not even play. They would be "available soon."

So, tomorrow I call and cancel Xfinity. I will keep them for the time being as internet providers, but I'm sure I can find cheaper and better. No landline, and no cable.

Truly, Verizon and Comcast are abominations. I loathe them both equally and profoundly. They represent the worst of sleazy, money-grubbing hustle and shitty product and service.

Question:
Who do you hate more, Verizon or Comcast?

Choices:
Comcast
Verizon
Both equally

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Verizon has been hands down the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. From all the taxes and insane fees they tack on to the cable bill to the horrible customer service or the dozens of billing errors they have made on my accounts they are just horrible.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have a deep hate for Comcast. I spend way to many hour talking to them. Having people come out that couldn't fix shit. I tell them the problem wasn't in my house but outside in a line.

They would have to send someone out to check the house first and I have to be home. Even after determining it was an outside line/nod issue they had to send someone else to my house to escalate it.

Then the time they couldn't connect a new box. They had to send someone out. He spend three hours here. All kinds of tests. Was about to give up when they realized they had entered the box number incorrectly in their system when it was sent out to me.

I have pages and hours of chats with them showing there incompetence. They did finally refund me a few months worth of service after several problems. Really though it doesn't come close to the aggregation and time I spend dealing with them. I like the chat feature to deal with them because I can do other things while waiting and I have a hard copy of their incompetence.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before you cast that stone, try talking with a Comcast-- or Verizon-- rep. Film-flam men are chickenshit compared with a Comcast rep. And there's this to deal with: they will simply outright lie to you.

This is why I do the chat thing. You can print a copy of the chat to a PDF on your computer. I have then cut and pasted parts of a previous chat with them to the next person I chat with. This way they can lie but when you throw it back at them with a copy of their own chat the fun really begins.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Comcast is vile Hellspawn.

Verizon's acceptable

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I voted Comcast, solely for one reason.
On two separate occasions within the last 4 years, we were without Comcast service over 7 days. One time after a lightning strike over our garage, and the other time when a semi loaded with tomatoes blew through the utility pole at the end of our driveway (driver was okay, but he'd fallen asleep & his truck ended up on its side in our front yard).

On both occasions, NES (Nashville Electric Service) arrived promptly & took care of the issues.
The lightning strike occurred on Christmas morning, and NES got our power back on within 3 1/2 hours. My wife gave those guys a plate of brownies she'd made late the night before to thank them for working on Christmas morning.
The broken pole incident took a little longer for NES to take care of (because they had to replace a pole & lines), but they still had our power on within 12 hours or so of the truck accident.

On the other hand, Comcast took over a week to get our internet & landline phone service back on both times. A series of excuses, lame reasons, etc., etc.
We are on a main road in west Nashville, & NES had no problem taking care of us. Comcast just sucks....

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I was more computer savy, then I could at the very least, not be saddled with the shitty box/modem/remote that comes with their product. I've got no love for Comcast.

Verizon, I've had no problems, others I hear have great difficulty, I'm not one of them.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I guess I am the odd-man out here. Have been using Comcast and Verizon for years and never had any problem with them. The few issues I have had, have been handled professionally and pretty quick.

Looking at the internet, I see that is not the norm. I wonder if some of their 'service' issues are specific to certain regions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with Verizon. They've treated me better than most large service providers.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Verizon for the most part has their technical shit together.

Comcast and Cox? Nope. Not even close.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Verizon without question is worse.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I have both, Comcast for home and Verizon for cellular.

While I could be more satisfied, I am not dissatisfied. I get the service I asked for and pay the price I agreed to.

With comcast I have to "renegotiate" every two years or so once the special deal expires to get the price back to where it was. Only had Verizon for about 8 months so far, but am happier with them than I was with AT&T.

Comcast is essentially a monopoly in my area for home internet so not many options.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Comcrap

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try working for Verizon. It put new meaning into the word hate.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Comcast ... by a long shot.

I've been with Verizon for 15+ years and they leave me alone.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I actually spent a lot of time on the phone with Verizon today changing my service. Yes, you can add things to your account online, but not remove things. And the rep on chat can't do it either. So ya gotta call.
Of course they want your account number, which I couldn't find. Jumping through all sorts of hoops to try to prove I'm me. Finally had to hook up the old fax machine to the landline I wanted to drop so they could call me at home.

I haven't used that line in a long time other than to give telemarketers a fax machine squealing in their ears. And I really don't watch live TV anymore, so dropped that too.

And hey, on internet only service they don't have any extra fees or taxes. So I actually got faster service (75/75) for 54 bucks a month. I'm saving $214 over what I was paying. I didn't accept their first quote and got her to :"speak to her manager". And my bill's prorated so nothing out of pocket for the next couple of months.
So while it took a while I did finally get a good deal.

Now Comcast... I had their "service" for two days and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
From a customer service perspective - Verizon has been worse in my experience.

Most recently - about a year or so ago - it took me more than a dozen calls, and repeating the same details to nine different people, taking up several hours of my time, over the course of two days, just to help my mother get a new phone activated.

When I finally got the right person - some department deep within their levels of hell - that guy fixed it in a few minutes. Getting through to that guy, however, even after knowing his name and what department he worked for, and after being told to ask for him, was something else altogether.

Messed up transfers, insane hold times, insistence that there was no such guy in any such department, hell - the repetition alone was maddening. I could've choked a fucker.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Version had them for year for the internet and land line...the price for there service actually went down on the internet service and land line price has stayed the same since the late '60s. No problems with getting anything fixed when they rarely break down.

Comcrap is the only game in the area as too many high trees for Dish, Verizon FIOS a no service in area, so to keep the grand babies happy I got to pay em....if just me and wife the old antenna would be enough to the boob tube

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
My Straight Talk cell uses Version and it works great for $45 a month.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post