SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USS Doris Miller
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS Doris Miller Login/Join 
posted
Thanks to all veterans. Thank you Doris Miller. RIP. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

USS Doris Miller: Navy to name new $13bn aircraft carrier after Pearl Harbor hero who manned machine gun to fight off Japanese aircraft and was the first African American to receive the Navy Cross for valor.

* The US Navy is to name new aircraft carrier after a World War II hero
* Mess Attendant 2nd Class Doris Miller was the first African American to receive the Navy Cross for valor in 1942
* The $13billion aircraft carrier will be the fourth of the new Gerald R. Ford-class supercarriers, and is scheduled to launch in 2027, and enter service in 2030
* Miller manned a machine gun on the USS West Virginia and returning fire against Japanese planes during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor
* Miller, then 22, was collecting laundry when the attack alarm sounded. His normal battle station was destroyed by a torpedo so he went on deck and carried wounded soldiers to safety before manning a machine gun
* At the time an African American was not allowed to man a gun in the Navy
* Miller died on a ship that was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in 1943

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...bor-hero-Miller.html

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of this guy, but after reading what he did this is something he definitely deserves. What an outstanding name for an upcoming aircraft carrier.

The greatest generation, indeed.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
This is the guy Cuba Gooding, Jr. portrayed in Pearl Harbor? Good for him.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yes
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Is this the guy Cuba Gooding, Jr. portrayed in Pearl Harbor?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m sooooo glad they didn’t name it after 0. Miller should’ve been awarded the MoH in lieu of the Navy Cross...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, glad they named it after someone deserving.

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Miller should’ve been awarded the MoH in lieu of the Navy Cross...
Likely deserved it but at the time even getting him a Navy Cross was likely an effort - even to this day we are upgrading / awarding old or deceased veterans MOH who didn't receive it for a number of reasons (discrimination, poor / lost records, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Recommend deleting those last two posts...

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Politics in a non-political thread.

A hero like that deserves a thread with a long healthy life!

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m sooooo glad they didn’t name it after 0. Miller should’ve been awarded the MoH in lieu of the Navy Cross...

Maybe President Trump will make this happen.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why, please explain?
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Bringing politics into a non-political thread is a no-no here

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Likely the don't interject politics into every thread warning, but honestly naming ships has become pretty political so I really don't see the issue - however I edited my post but I'm glad this guy is the first African American to have a CVN named after him - that's just a plain fact.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed on both your assessments
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, glad they named it after someone deserving.

quote:
Miller should’ve been awarded the MoH in lieu of the Navy Cross...
Likely deserved it but at the time even getting him a Navy Cross was likely an effort - even to this day we are upgrading / awarding old or deceased veterans MOH who didn't receive it for a number of reasons (discrimination, poor / lost records, etc).

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ty
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Why, please explain?
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Bringing politics into a non-political thread is a no-no here

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
On topic: Save some ships, get a ship named after you.

Makes sense!

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
She will sail the oceans & show the flag for 50 years & some will ask, Who was Doris Miller? Somewhere, Dory is smiling Smile

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I’m happy a ship was named after a deserving veteran. However, in regards to politics, Obama did politicize ship naming conventions for 8 years to the point of embarrassment.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had to be a badass growing up with a first name of Doris

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many will think Doris was a lady. I have watched a few show on History that detailed what this gentleman did at Pearl Harbor. He was truly a Hero and it is great that the Navy is going to honor his memory.

I hope the Navy takes it a step further and makes sure everyone know who Doris Miller was and why they named the ship after him.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
had to be a badass growing up with a first name of Doris

Yeah, Johnny Cash could’ve written a song…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers for Miller. What a fitting honor.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post