SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge Challenger Hellcat crash at Colorado airport
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge Challenger Hellcat crash at Colorado airport Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I bet they didn't file a flight plan.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
air strips are incredibly fun to race on. We do events at them all over the state. There is always a marked braking zone, and a "you're basically fucked" mark.

I guess they were still accelerating when they hit the "you're basically fucked" mark.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The joke: I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa and not screaming like my Grandma as he drove off a cliff.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Reminds me of the two men on Secondhand Lions. When they died trying to fly their plane upside down thru the barn.

My very first thought.

I think we have that one in the library. Need to watch it again. Great movie.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were test driving the car. It would be interesting to see if either owned it. I mean if you are going to do yourself in via 700hp bucketlist car. Why payfor it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Just what are the FAA regulations for an automobile operating on the runway as other than airport operations?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were both in their 70's. Heart attack?

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I bet the salesman is glad he didn't ride along. Wink

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
They couldn't find an empty straight stretch of Interstate highway?

Too late now for them, but I-8 in Arizona is a good choice.

air strips are incredibly fun to race on. We do events at them all over the state. There is always a marked braking zone, and a "you're basically fucked" mark.

we once raced a PJ in a GT2rs.. the PJ was.... 50' off the deck. FAA wasn't happy about that one. We weren't invited back Razz

What's a PJ? Curious...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Private Jet

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they were wearing boots when they crashed ?

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
They just sailed right out there.

I see what you did there! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now what kind of an attitude is that, "these things happen"? They only happen because this whole country is just full of people, who when these things happen, they just say "these things happen," and that's why they happen! We gotta have control of what happens to us. Big Grin

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thad: That was the shortest runway I ever seen.....

Louis: Yeah, but look how wide it is!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
They couldn't find an empty straight stretch of Interstate highway?

Too late now for them, but I-8 in Arizona is a good choice.

we once raced a PJ in a GT2rs.. the PJ was.... 50' off the deck. FAA wasn't happy about that one. We weren't invited back Razz

One of these??

Or one of these??

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Bueny airport doesn't give you much room to the south. Had they been going north, they might have had a few hundred yards before the gravel pit and then some homes. I guess the engine is now junk. Frown

Us oldies are still pretty good at mashing the go pedal, not so good at stopping.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Undoubtedly these two fellas in their seventies were enjoying the thrill of speed
Pushing the envelope a bit as many of us did in our teens. Just pushed too far.

Yes they died but we all will at some point.
Sure beats fading out while wearing diapers in a nursing home.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My old man has pretty much told me this is how he plans to go out when he feels can't hack it anymore. Last year, he bought a loaded '17 Camaro in candy blue, his favorite color. I don't think he'll go to all the ceremony of renting an airport runway, though.

quote:

Technically speaking, I think "launched" works pretty well in this instance.

*Edit - Missed the movie reference, that's one I haven't seen in forever. Need to give it another watch.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Private Jet

Yep. A sortie is a sortie.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
They didn't provide us with any action photos. The best I can do is give you a link to their web cams. The one looking north is toward maybe Leadville and Mosquito pass. The one to the South is the direction they were traveling. Salida is only about 25 miles down. Just a little more speed and they'd have made it.

http://www.keno.org/colorado_w...buena_vista_cams.htm

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post