SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge Challenger Hellcat crash at Colorado airport
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge Challenger Hellcat crash at Colorado airport Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Looks like they tried to do things safely and responsibly, but failed completely. Crazy.

Two men in their 70s killed in crash while speed-testing sports car on Buena Vista runway

Two septuagenarian friends speed-testing a sky blue Dodge Challenger Hellcat at the Central Colorado Regional Airport in Buena Vista were killed after rocketing off the end of a runway and sailing across a ravine, authorities said Sunday night.

The men had permission to use the runway, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said. And they likely were moving faster than 100 miles per hour.

The 2016 Challenger Hellcat driven southbound down the runway Friday by Lynd Fitzgerald, age 71, of Colorado Springs, with Roger Lichtenberger, 76, of San Marcos, Calif., in the passenger seat kept moving off the runway for another 314 feet, sheriff’s investigators found.

Then it went through the air over a ravine before hitting the ground. The car bounced back into the air again, flipped end over end over a second ravine, and landed on its wheels, the investigators determined.

Chaffee County Sheriff’s deputies, Buena Vista police and Colorado State Patrol troopers raced to the scene. They found the wrecked car 650 feet beyond the south end of the runway. They tried to give the men first aid.

Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

Chaffee County deputies investigated with help from the state patrol.

“They were just test-driving this car. They went a little too fast. I don’t want to surmise. … They probably got to the end of the runway and, at that speed, didn’t realize they were there so fast. And they lost control. It was just too high a speed and they got to the end of the runway,” Spezze said.

Monday morning Spezze said investigators found skid marks near the end of the runway. He did not know the length of the marks.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said Sunday. “They had permission to be there. There were no laws broken.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2017...s-car-runway-killed/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said Sunday. “They had permission to be there. There were no laws broken.”

...including the laws of physics.

You'd think that they would've had a point of no return marked or staked out indicating where they needed to start braking at a certain speed. Just goes to show I guess that age doesn't always equal wisdom.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Were their names Thelma and Louise by chance?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They couldn't find an empty straight stretch of Interstate highway?

Too late now for them, but I-8 in Arizona is a good choice.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sometimes stupid hurts, really, really bad.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the two men on Secondhand Lions. When they died trying to fly their plane upside down thru the barn.

And the Sherriff told the boy they died with their boots on. I know it is a movie but still there is a similarity.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Reminds me of the two men on Secondhand Lions. When they died trying to fly their plane upside down thru the barn.

And the Sherriff told the boy they died with their boots on. I know it is a movie but still there is a similarity.

My first thought as well (Excellent movie by the way).

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. Sorry they lost their lives

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a little more planning would have been good. Whoops. Not a mistake that they'll make twice.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Were their names Thelma and Louise by chance?

Thad and Louis?

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You would think they would have driven the runway lenght doing a hazard check and make a note of where to cease with the loud pedal.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

...including the laws of physics.

You'd think that they would've had a point of no return marked or staked out indicating where they needed to start braking at a certain speed. Just goes to show I guess that age doesn't always equal wisdom.

I'd of thought that guys who were given permission to use a runway in such a fashion would have had some basic knowledge of runway markings or lighting, so they'd at least know when the end were near.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This was in the comments. FWIW:

'This article is another example of how The Post can't even get the simplest of facts correct. THERE IS NO BUENA VISTA REGIONAL AIRPORT!!! It is called "Central Colorado Regional Airport." It seems The Post can no longer afford editors to fact check and has hired a bunch of monkeys to sit behind computer keyboards.'

Given this, you guys might want to fact-check the article.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
This is from a Denver TV station. I think the story is legit despite the screwed up details and airport name.

http://www.9news.com/news/two-...rive-crash/473212677

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Another bit of relevant data is that this airport is at about 8,000 feet in elevation. That would result in considerable loss of power, even for a Hellcat, resulting in a need for more distance to reach a desired speed. Seems like their chosen drag strip could have been more thought out and executed. Such a needless accident.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

My first thought as well.

I will bet dollars to donuts this is exactly it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
At least they did not hurt anyone else.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
"Central Colorado regional unicom and traffic, you've got a blue hellcat departing 15 closed traffic, central colorado regional"

Beats dying in bed with a colostomy bag I guess.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
They couldn't find an empty straight stretch of Interstate highway?

Too late now for them, but I-8 in Arizona is a good choice.

air strips are incredibly fun to race on. We do events at them all over the state. There is always a marked braking zone, and a "you're basically fucked" mark.

we once raced a PJ in a GT2rs.. the PJ was.... 50' off the deck. FAA wasn't happy about that one. We weren't invited back Razz

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
They just sailed right out there.

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post