SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best part of the Olympics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best part of the Olympics Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I did not see the nbc shrimpy dolt, not once.

I know there are those who don't
like it but I did enjoy some of the events quite a bit.

The shooting and skiing events. The endurance skiing, curling, hockey, some of the skating and a few others.

There were some head beating with a bag of doorknob things surely.

I think the So. Korean's did a nice job and that country has some beautiful scenery for sure.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
In past Olympics I never paid much attention to women's hockey but this time around I was really impressed with their abilities and gamesmanship. Very entertaining.

The same can be said about women's snowboarding. I was really impressed with Chloe Kim of the US team and Anna Gasser from Austria. Gasser's last run in the big air event was truly amazing. Speaking of Anna Gasser, she could make a living as a super model, no problem. Drop dead gorgeous. I may be old but I still notice those things. Smile

But then there was curling. I really loved watching that. Never did before but I'm a fan now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I agree with the OP regarding Bullshit Cuntmouth not being present. Mike Tirico has done an fine job filling in as the prime time host.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there any reason we can't put a snow boarder on that loooooooge track?

just to see what would happen?or a bobsled on the long jump thing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It’s over?

I kid - I enjoy watching the biathlon and other real sports, as opposed to the judged hack events.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
In past Olympics I never paid much attention to women's hockey but this time around I was really impressed with their abilities and gamesmanship. Very entertaining.

The same can be said about women's snowboarding. I was really impressed with Chloe Kim of the US team and Anna Gasser from Austria. Gasser's last run in the big air event was truly amazing. Speaking of Anna Gasser, she could make a living as a super model, no problem. Drop dead gorgeous. I may be old but I still notice those things. Smile

But then there was curling. I really loved watching that. Never did before but I'm a fan now.

Jim

Anna Gasser, yup!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Well, that makes my point. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching the USA Women's Hockey team receiving their gold medals!! They were all singing the National Anthem, not just mouthing the words, as the American flag was raised. And clapping and smiling after the song was finished!
Congratulations to their team and coaches!!!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stayed up until 4 AM to watch the Curling gold medal game vs Sweden. It was entertaining and well worth it since we won!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I thought spandex was the best thing about the olympics.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I watched this time was curling. Notably, the Canadian team and Rachel Homan.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I particularly enjoyed watching Lydnsey Vonn choke. That was nice. Smile

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I particularly enjoyed watching Lydnsey Vonn choke. That was nice. Smile

Can't argue with that. Proved karma can be a bitch.

Jim

The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Watching the USA Women's Hockey team receiving their gold medals!! They were all singing the National Anthem, not just mouthing the words, as the American flag was raised. And clapping and smiling after the song was finished!
Congratulations to their team and coaches!!!

THIS! I agree. Brought a tear to my eye...NOT afraid to admit it either.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Chloe Kim was great and she is so cute and fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Chloe Kim was great and she is so cute and fun.

I thought it was amazing when she opted to do a third run in the halfpipe when she already had the gold rapped up after 2 and got a higher score. Her parents have to be bursting with pride.

Jim

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
From what I did watch, I concur that the USA Womens hockey team and Chloe Kim were classy standouts. I'd also give kudos for how Mikaela Shiffrin handled herself with tweets and interviews after her competitions were over. She certainly didn't bemoan her performances and instead expressed gratefulness and thankfulness for being able to both represent the USA and garner the medals she did earn. Class act unlike that bimbo Vonn. Jessie Diggins was also memorable for her cross-country skiing accomplishments.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I liked watching the women's cross country skiing team spring make the come back for the gold by half a ski length. It was the first medal in cross-country skiing history for US women. Also, Kikkan Randall is an Anchorage resident and I used to see her at events when I lived in Anchorage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed watching the men's hockey as well. USA was a serious underdog with a a few college players, minor leaguers and NHL has-beens because the NHL refused to interrupt their season, but they were fun to root for. That kid Ryan Donato out of Harvard is the real deal. That said, I hate shoot outs to determine the winner.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post