SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mobile, AL police officer injured by own bullet while fighting off dog attack
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mobile, AL police officer injured by own bullet while fighting off dog attack Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/...ml#incart_river_home

A Mobile police officer injured Friday morning shot himself in the leg while fighting off a dog attack, police officials said Friday afternoon.

"We do know that it is a self-inflicted wound," Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said Friday afternoon. The injury was not severe, he said, confirming reports that at least one dog had been killed in the fight.

Battiste said the incident occurred as police were conducting Operation Winter Storm, a sweep for people with outstanding drug warrants. Overall, Battiste said, police had made 11 arrests so far in conjunction with the campaign.

Officers had gone to a house in a neighborhood north of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. outside downtown, when they were attacked by one or more pit bulls.

Battiste said police would investigate to see if proper procedures had been followed. "In this case the officer felt like his life was threatened," he said of the injured officer.

Battiste said that no arrests were made at the residence at that time, but confirmed that several other dogs were taken away by animal control.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Report This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
If you have never had to fight a dog, it happens a lot faster than you think.

I've maced myself (downwind) a few times, and used a baseball bat once. Broke the jaw of another with a pretty solid kick.

They play for keeps.

Prayers sent for the officer.

(edited due to improper Engrish) Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You pray to the victim?

Really?

What do you want from him?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Am I reading this wrong?

It sounds like the officer shot himself while trying to stop an aggressive dog. Put his finger on the trigger a little too quickly?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
When my dog was about a 50 pound puppy, I fell on the ice. He attacked. In and out, spin, jump jump to my other side, attack again. I was completely helpless. And he was only licking. If he had been biting, I'd have been done for, for sure.

The time to defend against a dog is before the first bite. I think the Tueller Drill for dogs should be 21 yards, if not double that.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I saw the WALA TV news live this evening. The policeman was undercover. There was a TV crew nearby. Filmed him being attended to and limping to a vehicle. Face was blurred out.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
You pray to the victim?

Really?

What do you want from him?

Does the "C" in "RichardC" stand for Cranium?

Curious George is curious.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Snip:
Two adult dogs and five puppies were removed from the home and taken to the city pound, where they are now up for adoption.
Snip:
No one was arrested at the home

So,
I wonder what gave them the right to take the dogs...
It does not say if they were inside the house or not. Just that a warrant was being served.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/3...not-life-threatening

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Back in the day a night stick was all that we needed for a dog or most people. what an idiot and they are paying him for protection.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
Back in the day a night stick was all that we needed for a dog or most people. what an idiot and they are paying him for protection.
Do undercover cops usually carry nightsticks?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Am I reading this wrong?

It sounds like the officer shot himself while trying to stop an aggressive dog. Put his finger on the trigger a little too quickly?

No, you’re not. The comment above yours is wondering why you would send prayers to the cop, as if he is the deity. Typically one says prayers for the victim, not to.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I could see something bad happening if you are being attacked by pitbulls, dog attacks are very chaotic.

undercover nightstick. sounds like a great movie title.

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
Do undercover cops usually carry nightsticks?

To give fair credit when have you seen a cop carry a nightstick anyways? It's all ASP batons now. But generally in most cop shows I see most undercovers have armor and thats about it when serving warrants

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Report This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
If you have never had to fight a dog, it happens a lot faster than you think.

I've maced myself (downwind) a few times, and used a baseball bat once. Broke the jaw of another with a pretty solid kick.

They play for keeps.

Prayers sent for the officer.

(edited due to improper Engrish) Big Grin

+1 and I bet it was a pit bull!!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officers had gone to a house in a neighborhood north of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. outside downtown, when they were attacked by one or more pit bulls.

Is there any city or town in America where MLK Drive/Ave/Blvd is not in the absolute shithole part of town?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
ANY animal attacks me, quadruped or biped, I'm dumping the mag on them first.
Then we'll talk about it.
Fuck that dog, what a bunch of fucking pussies we have become when any animal is given human attributes.
It attacks, I stop it...now.

If I'm following orders from command to do my job like this, I'm fucking crushing EVERYTHING until I am done.
Then, I'M going home to my family.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
No matter what, good judgment, clear thinking and action when in a bind are the attributes I would want in a cop or friend I had to depend upon. I believe it is called common sense.

A 6 inch sap could easily fit in any pocket and with a little training would be a better weapon against a dog than spraying bullets around a neighborhood. It does not take much to shut a dog down with a little knowledge and co-ordination along with a level head.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Report This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i doubt dog anatomy is considered when ammo makers make defensive rounds for LEO use. Probably a pass-through that struck the officer.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Snip:
Two adult dogs and five puppies were removed from the home and taken to the city pound, where they are now up for adoption.
Snip:
No one was arrested at the home

So,
I wonder what gave them the right to take the dogs...
It does not say if they were inside the house or not. Just that a warrant was being served.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/3...not-life-threatening

If the dogs are not properly cared for, they can be taken.

Here if a dog bites, I think the first time the owner is fined. Second time it is put down.