SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mobile, AL police officer injured by own bullet while fighting off dog attack
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mobile, AL police officer injured by own bullet while fighting off dog attack Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
No matter what, good judgment, clear thinking and action when in a bind are the attributes I would want in a cop or friend I had to depend upon. I believe it is called common sense.

A 6 inch sap could easily fit in any pocket and with a little training would be a better weapon against a dog than spraying bullets around a neighborhood. It does not take much to shut a dog down with a little knowledge and co-ordination along with a level head.

What evidence do you have of "spraying bullets around a neighborhood"? Saps are prohibited by a great number of agencies these days, too.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No matter what, good judgment, clear thinking and action when in a bind are the attributes I would want in a cop or friend I had to depend upon. I believe it is called common sense.

A 6 inch sap could easily fit in any pocket and with a little training would be a better weapon against a dog than spraying bullets around a neighborhood. It does not take much to shut a dog down with a little knowledge and co-ordination along with a level head.

Saps are not allowed. Period.

I see nothing to indicating he was "spraying bullets". Level head? When you realize only one of you is going to walk away from the situation alive, things change.

posted Hide Post
Dog is like people. I have shot, sprayed and hit attacking dogs Pit bulls and big mixed breeds on duty and off. I have been bitten twice it is no fun. When you have to wait to see if you have to get rabies shot because the owners do think their dogs need shots that sucks too. Getting back to attacking dogs each dog is different. No one method works on any dog big or small just like dealing with attacking people. It is easy to say I would have done this or that but, you were not there when the event occured. Many moons ago I was told by another officer after a dynamic event " I would have shot that guy" I replyed you were not there it was my call to make...VI

posted Hide Post
quote:

So how many dog attacks have you dealt with ? In what capacity ?

I can tell you they happen quickly and sometimes involve more than one dog.

I am quite fond of dogs and always try and avoid shooting them but that is not always possible. Time and distance vary and the dog (like any other opponent) gets a vote.

If dogs are a known issue, dry chemical fire extinguishers are very effective vs dogs. A baton could be useful against a dog, though pepper spray and tasers are better. Regardless I want distance since the dog need to be close to bite.

Speaking of distance, while saps and black jacks are effective they require close proximity, closer than I want to be to a dog which is trying to bite. Not to mention the fact there are very few LE Agencies which still allow Saps or Black Jacks.

It is not unheard of for Officers to have NDs while trying to draw when taking fire, it is reasonable a large dog hitting you and sinking it’s teeth into you could have the same effect.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Report This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I used to train dogs for attack, search and drugs. I was both the object of their attention with my friends dogs and got to play from the other end. I even got to deprogram an attack dog that went too far.

"it is not unheard of for officers to have ND's while trying to draw when taking fire, ....."

I am sure glad I do not have to work with the level of training and equipment that you seem all to ready to accept.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm old school. Give me a Roman Gladius.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A pocket full of feral kittens and another full of pig ears.

Deploy as needed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, two therapy dogs were shot by police. A daughter had come home, set off the burglar alarm then called the company. Total time four minutes. Twenty minutes later two cops show up. They don't knock on the front door. One jumps the fence, sees the dogs and starts shooting. So far, it's the standard "Dog's attack office, he defends himself." However, there's a video

"The video, with no audio, shows an officer standing in the backyard. He then approaches the house and goes out of camera range. A moment later, he steps backward rapidly with his gun drawn.
Ciroc, a white and brown dog, trots toward the officer and stops about 10 feet away. The dog looks distracted but does not appear to be charging the officer. The officer fires, the dog falls and then scrambles to his feet and runs away. At the same time, a black dog runs into camera range. The officer shoots several times and the dog flees.
The officer appears to assess the scene for about 18 seconds before he exits the yard by climbing over the fence.
LeMay's 13-year-old daughter saw the whole thing from the upstairs window. That probably wouldn't have made a dent in the official narrative, but the incident was also captured by the home's security cameras. Nevertheless, there's still an official narrative:
"We are aware of the recent incident involving MPD officers responding to an audible residential burglary alarm and while at this call an MPD officer discharged their firearm, striking two dogs belonging to the homeowner. Anytime an officer discharges their firearm in the line of duty there is an investigation ... by the Minneapolis Police Department's Internal Affairs Unit. We are in the process of reviewing the video posted online, as well as the officer's body camera video. We have reached out to the owner of the dogs and will continue to do so during the investigation."
In other words, the MPD is trying to find some way to spin this. The video looks pretty damning. If the officer didn't want to be scared by someone's pets, perhaps he or another officer could have taken the last step first.
After the dogs' shooting, another officer knocked on the front door. The 18-year-old explained that she'd triggered the alarm and that it had been deactivated."

Why the hell didn't he knock beforehand?

https://www.techdirt.com/artic...lar-alarm-call.shtml

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Video go bye-bye.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
On the other hand, two therapy dogs were shot by police. A daughter had come home, set off the burglar alarm then called the company. Total time four minutes. Twenty minutes later two cops show up. They don't knock on the front door. One jumps the fence, sees the dogs and starts shooting. So far, it's the standard "Dog's attack office, he defends himself." However, there's a video

"The video, with no audio, shows an officer standing in the backyard. He then approaches the house and goes out of camera range. A moment later, he steps backward rapidly with his gun drawn.
Ciroc, a white and brown dog, trots toward the officer and stops about 10 feet away. The dog looks distracted but does not appear to be charging the officer. The officer fires, the dog falls and then scrambles to his feet and runs away. At the same time, a black dog runs into camera range. The officer shoots several times and the dog flees.
The officer appears to assess the scene for about 18 seconds before he exits the yard by climbing over the fence.
LeMay's 13-year-old daughter saw the whole thing from the upstairs window. That probably wouldn't have made a dent in the official narrative, but the incident was also captured by the home's security cameras. Nevertheless, there's still an official narrative:
"We are aware of the recent incident involving MPD officers responding to an audible residential burglary alarm and while at this call an MPD officer discharged their firearm, striking two dogs belonging to the homeowner. Anytime an officer discharges their firearm in the line of duty there is an investigation ... by the Minneapolis Police Department's Internal Affairs Unit. We are in the process of reviewing the video posted online, as well as the officer's body camera video. We have reached out to the owner of the dogs and will continue to do so during the investigation."
In other words, the MPD is trying to find some way to spin this. The video looks pretty damning. If the officer didn't want to be scared by someone's pets, perhaps he or another officer could have taken the last step first.
After the dogs' shooting, another officer knocked on the front door. The 18-year-old explained that she'd triggered the alarm and that it had been deactivated."

Why the hell didn't he knock beforehand?

https://www.techdirt.com/artic...lar-alarm-call.shtml

Really dude?
You site a libtard rag like td to somehow cast aspersion on LEO's?
How about the stupid friggin' homwowners call 911 after the "false alarm" and take 2 seconds to say "false alarm" and then put the dogs in the house UNTIL they are sure LEO's have cleared the call?
Maybe the phone is too complicated to use?
You wanna second guess police tactics when a burglary alarm is reported?

Eat shit and die, they have loved ones too and wanna go home every day to them after work just like those who are ALWAYS second guessing their work.
That includes NOT getting bitten on the legs and having nerve damage or worse.

How about we second guess YOUR work every fucking day?
Better yet, lets fucking video YOUR every move @ YOUR work and see what you do?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

Eat shit and die,

And you wonder why the general public no longer trust the police.

You need to find another job suitable for your demeanor towards the public, like the DMV or something where you aren't armed.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to train dogs for attack, search and drugs. I was both the object of their attention with my friends dogs and got to play from the other end. I even got to deprogram an attack dog that went too far.

"it is not unheard of for officers to have ND's while trying to draw when taking fire, ....."

I am sure glad I do not have to work with the level of training and equipment that you seem all to ready to accept.

Hope you never have to deal with anything like that in the real world and not in the training world. While you go retain your training an entire new "survival mentality" kicks in.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about the stupid friggin' homwowners call 911 after the "false alarm" and take 2 seconds to say "false alarm" and then put the dogs in the house UNTIL they are sure LEO's have cleared the call?

Honestly, I had never thought of this. I've dealt with alarms for over twenty years. Inevitably, there are false alarms, and often the police get dispatched. Proactively calling 911 to cancel is a great idea.

It might have saved me more than a few false alarm penalties.

Thanks for the tip.

God bless and keep you safe.

ps. Having a calm but curious dog with me when I answer the door actually seems to set officers at ease. No one brings their dog to a burglary.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The girl was 18 years old. She had no idea that cancelling the alarm would not cancel the police from coming, the homeowners probably didn't either, they more than likely thought the alarm monitoring company had it under control.

Always with blaming the victims.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

Eat shit and die,

And you wonder why the general public no longer trust the police.

You need to find another job suitable for your demeanor towards the public, like the DMV or something where you aren't armed.

I was gong to recommend postal clerk after noting to him/her that most 18 year olds are not so worldly experienced and might learn somethings in hindsight.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
sigmoid, cool your jets.

Why do these threads always end up like this? Roll Eyes It's been a long time, so I don't expect anyone to remember, but I've asked members to not posting any of these police-shooting-dogs threads, because they always end up in petty bickering and insults.

Do not post any such news item in this forum. If the police have shot a dog, you'll have to argue about somewhere other than this forum, because I do not ever again want to see this crap here. These threads always end up in bickering and I am not having it here.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post