SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart gun theft fail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart gun theft fail Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Do you think this guy was a simple gun thief or had something more sinister in mind ?

MILLINGTON, Tenn. — The Millington Police Department arrested a man who attempted to steal loaded guns from Walmart in the 8400 block of Highway 51 Sunday morning.

Police arrived on the scene at 2:36 a.m.

They were told there was a disturbance at the gun case section in the store.

29-year-old Larry L. Hobock was located behind the gun counter. He removed three 12 gauge shotguns from the case.

Officers then ordered the suspect to lay down, and he was taken into custody.

An investigation determined the suspect broke into the gun case with a tool before removing the trigger locks from two shotguns.

He was attempting to remove the third trigger when he was confronted by police.

Police also found the suspect removed ammunition from the shelves and loaded two of the three guns.

No shots were fired during the confrontation.

There are no reported injuries.

Larry Hobock is currently being held at The Millington Police Department on a $250,000 bond. He is charged with aggravated robbery.

This is an ongoing investigation.

http://wreg.com/2018/02/11/mil...d-guns-from-walmart/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
If he went through the effort to disable the locks and load them, well, he sure wasn't up to anything good.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ya know, maybe Walmart ought to keep someone capable in sporting goods BEHIND THE GUN COUNTER to keep an eye on things and help potential customers. Radical concept, I know.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s pure speculation as to his motive but I’m not sure what you could accomplish with three loaded shotguns that you couldn’t accomplish with two.

Posts: 989 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Ya know, maybe Walmart ought to keep someone capable in sporting goods BEHIND THE GUN COUNTER to keep an eye on things and help potential customers. Radical concept, I know.

One less cashier at the front. Great, now there will be only three.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My son in law worked the gun counter in our local Walmart store for a year or so. Very often he was the only worker to cover two or three departments. Including some stocking of shelves. A lot of time there was no one even with sight of the counter for extended periods of time.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Police arrived on the scene at 2:36 a.m.
I'm wonder what he had planned at 2:00 on a Sunday morning that required 3 stolen, loaded shotguns. How do you carry 3 shotguns?

quote:
An investigation determined the suspect broke into the gun case with a tool before removing the trigger locks from two shotguns.
Does this guy have lock picking skills?
I've seen a lot of lock picking tools on Kickstarter and wondered who was buying them and why.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree and have said this before to a couple Walmart managers. How do you sell guns and not have anyone at the counter watching over that area? Every other store I have been to that has sold guns, ALWAYS had one person there at all times. It is not just for customer service but as also a deterrent. Of course, they might have the mindset to stop selling guns altogether, which I am sure is going to happen anyway.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Does this guy have lock picking skills?
I've seen a lot of lock picking tools on Kickstarter and wondered who was buying them and why.

Probably wasn't anything as sophisticated as that.

The locks on display cases are typically simple cam latches. A quick yank with a screwdriver/claw hammer/crowbar is all it would take to defeat.

Or, just break the glass.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ and the trigger locks on shotguns? Serious question. Thanks.
It would take a drill or hacksaw to remove mine.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most "clamp style" trigger locks can be pried off with minimal effort using a flat-bladed screwdriver.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_qcEGYRu5w

(There are other Youtube videos showing other methods.)

Even if you don't pry on the locking tab as seen in that video, you can break the lock off relatively easily with sufficient leverage.

So one flat-bladed screwdriver and a few seconds could get you into both the display case, as well as the trigger lock.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends on whether they were actually trigger locks or what I call trigger guards (I don't know the real name). I've heard them called trigger locks and was always given one when I bought a pistol in CT. It covers the trigger but can be removed with a simple tool with two little metal prongs. Even a pen would probably be sufficient to remove one of those...they were just to keep you from being able to touch the trigger, they aren't meant for any sort of real security,

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Even when I go to Dicks when they have an ammunition sale I sometimes have to hunt down an employee as they are usually in an isle pricing items or cleaning up. Even on weekends it can be like this.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answers, RogueJSK and xwesler.