SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the current Ford Mustangs (2015-2017), any ownersere? *UPDATE pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the current Ford Mustangs (2015-2017), any ownersere? *UPDATE pg 4* Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I wouldn't recommend ANY foriegn vehicle for the kind of mileage he does, after the first 2 years, it will be in the shop costing him a fortune.

My understanding is that the OP doesn't keep the car past 100k miles.

After 2-3 years of driving, he'll end up with a high mileage vehicle with unimpressive value either way. Might actually get a little more resale value out of a luxury brand.

If we're talking about keeping a car for 5+ years and 200k miles, then a mustang isn't exactly legendary for reliability. At that point, he'd be better off with a Lexus or an Acura, if all we're going by is reputation.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Up in Mustang Club Of America for 50 bucks a year. Do it online and you should get instant access to Ford's X plan, via your membership.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Up in Mustang Club Of America for 50 bucks a year. Do it online and you should get instant access to Ford's X plan, via your membership.

Not instant, but pretty quick. I think mine took a week or so to verify. Haven't used it yet though. Bickford is an X Plan dealer according to their website.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second Mustang. My first was a '92 LX 5L convertible-white with a while leather interior. The 5L ran 305 HP. My second is another white convertible, black leather interior, a GT with a 6 speed and 5L that now runs 432 HP. Big difference. The one thing I miss is the exhaust tone from the '92. Dual exhausts off the 92 had a much better sound.

Get the 5L V8. You won't regret it.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
2015 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Pack here...

Wow, that's a beauty!

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The base price of the GT is $7000 more than the ecoboost

For 1 second faster to 60 (5.5 vs 4.5) and .9 seconds in the quarter mile

And a base gas mileage of 16 mpg on premium fuel versus 24 mpg on regular gas

The only reason I could think to get a GT is if you were going to take and go full custom with it like LbJ. The v8 had more build out potential certainly

But as a daily driver?

I don't think those of you saying there is no reason to get an ecoboost have much experience with the platform (the ecoboost, not the mustang in general)

I have no problem with the EcoBoost. As I said, I have one in my F150. Probably would do very little in aftermarket upgrades. The only real reason for initially considering the V8 is if I can get a screaming deal on one. Of course now I am thinking "because" is justification enough Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Perhaps I'm going off topic a bit, but I read that you value comfort, economy, and reliability because this car will be your daily driver...that you normally only consider middle tier cars because that is what you normally can afford because of how often you change cars.

And that you want a Mustang convertible because you just happened to get one as a rental...

Why not start with a clean slate and shop for a car that suits all of your needs, rather than get caught up with the Mustang simply because it's what you sat in?

Considering convertibles in the $50-$60k MSRP, you have access to a number of true luxury vehicles such as the BMW 4 series convertible, the Mercedes C-Class convertible, etc.

Also, having driven convertibles off and on for a number of years, the novelty kinda wears off. It's often too hot, too cold, or you don't want to put yourself out there for the world to see on a day-to-day basis.

You can put yourself into a more refined E-Class, 5 Series, or Audi A6 that gets higher marks on the comfort scale while still keeping high marks on the fun chart.

$40-45K is top of my budget so the 25-50% jump puts those out of reach and I imagine the increase in insurance cost would be prohibitive as well. Regardless of that, knowing people who have had BMW's and Audi's too many maintanence costs concerns for me to want to deal with.

While I am not particularly convertible crazy, I've always liked Mustangs. My wife has wanted a convertible for years so she is the one driving that descision. Not interested just because got one as a rental, but having the rental gave me the opportunity to realize a Mustang was not as impractical nor to expensive as I've believed in the past Being in the Seattle area "too cold" can be a concern, very rarely will "too hot" be one though.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Guns and Mustang! How can you go wrong? If you love hopping up your guns, you'll love hopping up your Mustang! A 5.0 has more potential to hop up in my opinion. Besides the big Whipple on mine, I have full length headers, off road (cat-less) x pipe and the Magnaflow competition exhaust system. I love driving it, it's loud as shizzle! When your on it and let off, it pops and crackles like no other. The Best is going under a large overpass or traveling through a tunnel! It makes you young again!

Probably would do little I'd any after market stuff to it, though it is nice to have the option. Given emission testing and what not in WA, would probably be a limiting factor for any major exhaust mods. I do love a good decel pop though...

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I wouldn't recommend ANY foriegn vehicle for the kind of mileage he does, after the first 2 years, it will be in the shop costing him a fortune.

My understanding is that the OP doesn't keep the car past 100k miles.

After 2-3 years of driving, he'll end up with a high mileage vehicle with unimpressive value either way. Might actually get a little more resale value out of a luxury brand.

If we're talking about keeping a car for 5+ years and 200k miles, then a mustang isn't exactly legendary for reliability. At that point, he'd be better off with a Lexus or an Acura, if all we're going by is reputation.

Historically, I keep a car about 5 years and 100k. Going back, my past three commuters have been 2006 Jeep Liberty, bought new in 06, sold in 2012 for a 2011 Kia Sportage. My wife took over the Sportage in 2015 when I bought the Optima and sold her 2007 Pacifica that had 135K. Wife totaled the Sportage in May 2015 and we picked up the F150.

I would normally expect to keep the Optima another 3+ years and 60K miles or so. I just don't like the idea of driving a car that has had substantial damage. Financially it is also good timing as replacing it now would have me going into retirement with vehicles paid off whereas waiting 3-4 years and then getting a new car would stretch payments past my expected retirement date.

While this would take the brunt of commuting duty, it would be more seasonal with the truck being driven fall/winter so would be racking up fewer miles each year than I have in the past. That would extend the life of this car to where it may well be my last or next to last.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I'd get the V-8. I own a convertible BMW 6 cylinder with dual turbos. Great engine, and I have an F-150 with the Ecoboost engine. Almost as fast as the BMW in a straight line. Nothing sounds like a V-8 and you should always have more power if you can afford it.

I've driven the Camaros and Mustangs and I'd pick the Mustang every time.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
There is nothing like a V-8, nothing.
Get the V-8 before they become outlawed or something.

I am impressed with the EcoBoost, but for me, I want a V8 in a muscle car or truck.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Picked my car up from the shop at 0830, came home cleaned it up a little and headed to the Ford dealer, arriving about 0945. They still had the GT with the big discount I have been eyeing. Build date Nov 2016 and has been on the lot since Nov/Dec but only had 52 miles on it when I slid in behind the wheel for my test drive. Not a big market for convertibles in Seattle at that time of year.

Deal was reached at 1230, headed for home just before 1400.

Payment about $40/mo more than I was hoping for, but more than fair. $6500 below factory sticker and another $2400 in rebates, also squeezed them for a full tank of gas, a Mustang hat, and a Mustang key chain.

2017 GT Convertible Premium 5.0L
Equipment Group 401A (Shaker radio upgrade and some techy bits)
6 Speed Auto
20" Foundry black wheel
Rear Sensing System
P265/35R20 Summer tires**
3.55 rear end**
Adaptive Cruise control**
Navigation system**

The "**" options are not things I would have necessarily wanted but with the dealer discounting $6500 from MSRP it was still cheaper than what the X Plan price would have been for one without those options by a few hundred dollars, so it is like getting X plan pricing on the car I wanted and a bunch of free goodies.

I love the Dark Saddle seat panels and the Magnetic Metallic is my wife's favorite color. Pictures don't really capture how she sparkles in the sun. Just a few quick cell phone pics...

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
That is one sharp looking car. Congrats.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I see you did not need my help after all. I was at my dealers today and priced a new vehicle. Did not order yet, but soon.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Very nice, I see you did not need my help after all. I was at my dealers today and priced a new vehicle. Did not order yet, but soon.

First thing I did after finishing the post was to send you an email thanks! I really appreciate your info and willingness to help in the process.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Beautiful car - great choice, congratulations on the new stang!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Nice car.

And a taco time to boot, my mother in law grew up in the PNW and talks about taco time all the time.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Now to decide which aftermarket mufflers to get. Nothing like an American V8 with a good exhaust system. I had a Bassani cat-back on my 94 Cobra that sounded awesome, not too loud or harsh but let you hear that low rumble you'd expect.

Congratulations!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That's a really great looking car, a blast to drive I'm sure and a good deal to boot! Funny how my '96 Cobra was hot shit at the time, now merely pedestrian.... Borla Race on that one, BTW SJS. Not subtle, not subtle at all.

Saw you had the summer tire option. You seem like a guy who understands cars/tires, but just in case, make dang sure you get some more wheels/tires with all seasons before the 30 degree mist season starts there. Ask me how I know. Times 3 or 4 times now..... Razz

Have a blast with that!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Lake Stevens Taco Time! Just up the road from me (I'm in Snohomish). Bickford Ford?

Mustang looks great! I love the color. Great choice on the V8.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SJS:
Very nice. Now to decide which aftermarket mufflers to get. Nothing like an American V8 with a good exhaust system. I had a Bassani cat-back on my 94 Cobra that sounded awesome, not too loud or harsh but let you hear that low rumble you'd expect.

Congratulations!

Sounds pretty good stock, strong but subtle. With tires being a "necessary" expense, that will consume discretionary funds for the foreseeable future. Maybe next year....

quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
Nice car.

And a taco time to boot, my mother in law grew up in the PNW and talks about taco time all the time.

TT is pretty much the only "fast food" we eat these days. While there is another Taco Time chain in the western US, they are totally different and our NW TT is the best.

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
...Saw you had the summer tire option. You seem like a guy who understands cars/tires, but just in case, make dang sure you get some more wheels/tires with all seasons before the 30 degree mist season starts there. Ask me how I know. Times 3 or 4 times now..... Razz

Have a blast with that!

Yes, that is really the only thing I considered a "negative". Just not practical for this area. Undecided if I will get a spare set of wheels, replace with AS tires and sell off the summer tires, or just drive the truck when it dips down to 40 or less. Hopefully I won't have to make a decision for 4-5 months now...

quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Lake Stevens Taco Time! Just up the road from me (I'm in Snohomish). Bickford Ford?

Mustang looks great! I love the color. Great choice on the V8.

Yup, after all that wheeling and dealing I was starving! Swung by the house for my spouse and enjoyed the break in the rain to go and grab a bite.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Nice. You took us seriously and made a great choice.
Enjoy that little 302.
It's a blast and a half.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Nice. You took us seriously and made a great choice.
Enjoy that little 302.
It's a blast and a half.

Well, my Dad did tell me that when smart men talk I should listen Wink