SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the current Ford Mustangs (2015-2017), any ownersere? *UPDATE pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the current Ford Mustangs (2015-2017), any ownersere? *UPDATE pg 4* Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
so I'm a conservative 745 at the flywheel.

Mine is wimpy, 585 RWHP.
My guess at the flywheel is 650 HP.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I will go against the grain here.

I have a 2016 ecoboost. It's fantastic

I drove home from west palm beach and got 30 miles a gallon. City driving around the DC area I'm averaging 24mpg

It is faster than the V-6. My understanding is the V6 is gone in 2018.

It goes from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. The GT does it in 4.5 seconds. If you really need that extra second, knock yourself out

The standing quarter mile for the ecoboost is 13.9 seconds at 102mph. The GT is 13 seconds at 113

The bottom line to me is that 99% of people won't need or notice the performance difference between these two cars

Everyone will notice the difference in what they pay at the gas pump

The only thing I miss from the GT is the sound Wink

Btw, those numbers are the 2015 car and driver numbers. The ecoboost are only getting better.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:

Mine is wimpy, 585 RWHP.

Turn up the boost! Smile Smile Smile

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm driving a 2006 GT with a 4.6L V-8. It gets 25mpg on the highway and 18 around town, and is reasonably peppy (not as peppy as the 1986 GT 5L I drove for 20 years, but good enough). Unless you just HAVE to have the better gas mileage, I'd go for the GT V-8.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI and I'm not being ass...just providing information

My 2016 ecoboost has more horsepower and torque than your 2006 GT. That's how far the technology has come

You can have more gas mileage and power than a 2006 GT in a current ecoboost and pay $10000 less

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm driving a 2006 GT with a 4.6L V-8. It gets 25mpg on the highway and 18 around town, and is reasonably peppy (not as peppy as the 1986 GT 5L I drove for 20 years, but good enough). Unless you just HAVE to have the better gas mileage, I'd go for the GT V-8.

flashguy

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
You guys are all enablers!

Really think I will be going for the GT unless I can find an EcoBoost with the same options and they give me a similar dealer discount. Not much chance of that with convertible season just starting though I imagine.

My F150 is the 2.7L EcoBoost and I have been very happy with it, averaging 19-20mpg with a 65/35 City/Hwy split.

Only downside to the GT I am looking at is that it comes with summer tires so I will need to replace those in the fall.

Getting excited, looks like I will be car shopping this week.

Keep the info and pics coming!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:

Mine is wimpy, 585 RWHP.

Turn up the boost! Smile Smile Smile

You guys are behind the times. I was running 10.80's at 128 mph in the 1/4 mile in the 1990's in a fully optioned (a/c, full interior, p/s, p/s and a 5 speed), full weight 1993 cobra.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yeah right, buy it. Then watch it become your wife's car. Big Grin

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
2015 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Pack here. I love mine. It'snot my daily driver but I take it out to cruise a few times a week. Stay away from the premium stereo if you can, it's not good. I put Recarro's in mine. If you are thinking about getting one with those seats drive one first. If I had to do it over I probably wouldn't. I am 6' and wide. I don't know if they just haven't "broken in" yet or what but it would be uncomfortable if I had to drive it every day. I have done quite a few visual mods to mine.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like a V-8, nothing.
Get the V-8 before they become outlawed or something.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
There is literally no reason at all to get a Mustang that doesn't have the V8. There are ten thousand other little econoboxes that do lots of stuff better than a Mustang, be it gas mileage, space, or comfort. What do you get as a trade off for that? If you go with the four or six, nothing. Might as well get a Prius instead and be done with it.

I've driven a whole lot of vehicles that I wished had more engine, but never once in my life driven one that I wished had less.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
There is literally no reason at all to get a Mustang that doesn't have the V8. There are ten thousand other little econoboxes that do lots of stuff better than a Mustang, be it gas mileage, space, or comfort. What do you get as a trade off for that? If you go with the four or six, nothing. Might as well get a Prius instead and be done with it.

I've driven a whole lot of vehicles that I wished had more engine, but never once in my life driven one that I wished had less.

I disagree, not too many econobox convertibles. The ecoboost mustang is still peppy and runs high 13's in the quarter....which was a very respectable number 10 years ago or so, handles enough to be fun, and is still a fun car to drive.

posted Hide Post
The base price of the GT is $7000 more than the ecoboost

For 1 second faster to 60 (5.5 vs 4.5) and .9 seconds in the quarter mile

And a base gas mileage of 16 mpg on premium fuel versus 24 mpg on regular gas

The only reason I could think to get a GT is if you were going to take and go full custom with it like LbJ. The v8 had more build out potential certainly

But as a daily driver?

I don't think those of you saying there is no reason to get an ecoboost have much experience with the platform (the ecoboost, not the mustang in general)

——————————————————

posted Hide Post
Check the mustang6g.com forums. Look up the reliability issues for the ecoboost. I haven't researched it myself because I had to have the V8 when I got mine. I'm guessing it's an overblown issue but ecoboom is phrase I see floating around a bit.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The base price of the GT is $7000 more than the ecoboost

For 1 second faster to 60 (5.5 vs 4.5) and .9 seconds in the quarter mile

And a base gas mileage of 16 mpg on premium fuel versus 24 mpg on regular gas

The only reason I could think to get a GT is if you were going to take and go full custom with it like LbJ. The v8 had more build out potential certainly

But as a daily driver?

I don't think those of you saying there is no reason to get an ecoboost have much experience with the platform (the ecoboost, not the mustang in general)

You're also forgetting the GT has a much better suspension, brakes, and tires so it handles a lot better if zipping around off ramps and turns are your thing. Also has a nicer interior and body treatment, and for the price difference of the one he can get, it will probably always be worth at least that much more than the ecoboost on resale.

posted Hide Post
Due respect, but you're wrong

The premium trim levels available for the GT and the ecoboost are the same. As are the base levels. i think there are a few colors that are only available in one or the other like the "black stealth package" but beyond that the premium interior packages are exactly the same

And they both have suspension upgrade packages that are similar for both chassis. The only difference between the premium performance packages between the ecoboost and GT is the GT gets bigger brakes to go with a car that weighs several hundred more pounds. You can get the "track pack" for the GT but you, again, are now talking about starting to customize the car, which I will readily concede the GT lends itself to much better

I went through all this last September when I ended up buying the premium ecoboost. My experience with driving the two was actually that the ecoboost was a better handling car than the GT. I drove both fairly extensively because when I went into this process I wanted a GT. Fwiw, the vast majority of reviews I read also mirror my experience. The GT is certainly faster off the line and is an overall faster car. But the ecoboost isn't to the GT what the old 4 or 6 cylinder mustangs were to their GT counterparts. As I have said earlier, the new ecoboost mustangs are faster, quicker and better handling than their GT counterparts from just a few years ago

——————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The ecoboost is a great engine, wife has it in her Lincoln MKc and it flys, smooth no vibration, in a lighter mustang it does very well.

If you look at the numbers the ecoboost is outperforming the previous 5.0,

However the V-8, it sounds great, if you see a mustang do you wonder, Hmm does it have the ecoboost 4 cyl and keep the planet green, well if you wear birkenstocks and drink unicorn lattes, yeah maybe you do, however if you are a red blooded american guy or gal when one goes by want to hear dual exhaust, shifting gears, smell racing fuel and burning rubber, so you think GT, V8 grunt grunt ohhhh ohh ooohhh oh oh (tool man taylor grunt)

You'd never see Steve McQueen with a turbo 4 ecoplanet power plant unless it was a motorcycle.

It's similar to the discussion on the last of this seasons Top Gear about the new Porsche Cayman. Due to "Green" regulations Porsche dropped the flat 6 and opted for a turbo 4 in the new Cayman, its got more power, it's faster, it's quicker, but... Its sounds like shit, like a beetle, not a $65,000 sports car should, all to get carbon numbers in the 180s.

The consensus was, buy last years model, with the flat 6 its just as good but it has that sound you expect.

Of course those of us saying V8 are pure gear heads, nothing wrong with the ecoboost, nothing at all, but get the v8

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrszkBStFJk

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I'm going off topic a bit, but I read that you value comfort, economy, and reliability because this car will be your daily driver...that you normally only consider middle tier cars because that is what you normally can afford because of how often you change cars.

And that you want a Mustang convertible because you just happened to get one as a rental...

Why not start with a clean slate and shop for a car that suits all of your needs, rather than get caught up with the Mustang simply because it's what you sat in?

Considering convertibles in the $50-$60k MSRP, you have access to a number of true luxury vehicles such as the BMW 4 series convertible, the Mercedes C-Class convertible, etc.

Also, having driven convertibles off and on for a number of years, the novelty kinda wears off. It's often too hot, too cold, or you don't want to put yourself out there for the world to see on a day-to-day basis.

You can put yourself into a more refined E-Class, 5 Series, or Audi A6 that gets higher marks on the comfort scale while still keeping high marks on the fun chart.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Perhaps I'm going off topic a bit, but I read that you value comfort, economy, and reliability because this car will be your daily driver...that you normally only consider middle tier cars because that is what you normally can afford because of how often you change cars.

And that you want a Mustang convertible because you just happened to get one as a rental...

Why not start with a clean slate and shop for a car that suits all of your needs, rather than get caught up with the Mustang simply because it's what you sat in?

Considering convertibles in the $50-$60k MSRP, you have access to a number of true luxury vehicles such as the BMW 4 series convertible, the Mercedes C-Class convertible, etc.

Also, having driven convertibles off and on for a number of years, the novelty kinda wears off. It's often too hot, too cold, or you don't want to put yourself out there for the world to see on a day-to-day basis.

You can put yourself into a more refined E-Class, 5 Series, or Audi A6 that gets higher marks on the comfort scale while still keeping high marks on the fun chart.

I wouldn't recommend ANY foriegn vehicle for the kind of mileage he does, after the first 2 years, it will be in the shop costing him a fortune.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Guns and Mustang! How can you go wrong? If you love hopping up your guns, you'll love hopping up your Mustang! A 5.0 has more potential to hop up in my opinion. Besides the big Whipple on mine, I have full length headers, off road (cat-less) x pipe and the Magnaflow competition exhaust system. I love driving it, it's loud as shizzle! When your on it and let off, it pops and crackles like no other. The Best is going under a large overpass or traveling through a tunnel! It makes you young again!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post