SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the current Ford Mustangs (2015-2017), any ownersere? *UPDATE pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the current Ford Mustangs (2015-2017), any ownersere? *UPDATE pg 4* Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
So my 2015 Kia Optima was rear ended a few weeks ago and is currently in the shop being repaired. Damage not as bad as originally thought, but still around $4K. With my commute, it gets a lot of miles, all freeway and is just a touch over 40K on the odometer.

The rental folks gave me choice between a Ford Explorer and a 2017 Mustang convertible, I took the convertible. Was pretty impressed with it, comfortable and good power with the 2.3L EcoBoost motor. Not as much backseat as the Optima, but a nice drive. My wife loves it, she has wanted a convertible for years and is now adamant we should replace the Optima with a new Mustang.

Doing my internet research, surprised to find the prices are pretty reasonable and the 2.3L is only getting about 2-3 mpg less than the Optima. With 0% financing, I'd be at a lower payment than the Kia (although "resetting" the clock with payments extending 2 years past when the Kia would have been paid off). The Kia still has the original tires but they would have been getting replaced this fall ($1K approx), and probably would have needed brakes done next year. So there is a bit of a "bonus" in not having those Maine costs.

I put a good amount of miles on, 22-24K a year and generally don't keep a car past 100K or so. While I wouldn't normally be looking for a car so soon, I also am not a fan of driving a car with significant damage, even having been repaired. I prefer to budget a car payment and have no worries due to warranty coverage rather than lower or no payment and have to deal with expensive, unexpected out of pocket trepairs. Admittedly, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to my car, will never be able to afford a true high luxury car but like newer mid-line vehicles and not cheap stripped down base models. With 2+ hours commuting each day and additional driving for my side job, I spend a lot of time and want to be comfortable in a car I enjoy.

All that said, I haven't come across a bad review on them and it looks like a sure thing. So now the only question is which one to get...

My logical side tells me to get the 2.3L "Premium Convertible" model. Mid level trim, best fuel economy, decent performance, good standard equipment, and with a few options like rear backup sensors, blind spot detection, etc. would check all of my boxes. One of the local dealers has one with a sticker right at $40K.

My "Be a Man" side says if you are gonna get a Mustang, get a GT with a 5L V8. A different dealer, who consistently has the best pricing, has a pretty good deal on a GT "Premium Convertible" with all the options of the 2.3L plus a few more (top end stereo, navigation...) sticker at $50K+. Initial dealer discount of $6K off, all the same current incentives, and in a different city that has a 1.5% lower sales tax rate. Bottom line, from the starting point I could get the GT with a $10,500 high MSRP for just $3,750 more than the 2.3L. I love a bargain and am leaning real hard that way.

The only downsides of the GT are the 5 less mpg the 5L is estimated to get and that Ford recommends premium gas. Already checked with my insurance, the 2.3L would be $50 less per year, the GT $60 more per year, so that is a wash as far as I am concerned. The difference in mileage/fuel cost (assuming I commute in the GT daily) would be about $60/month.

So just wondering what others think and would appreciate to hear from anyone who has either and their thoughts/reviews.

Deal is done, particulars on page 4, but here is a clue....

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
I think that if you spend that much time in your car you should get what will make you happy.
If you don't get what you want you'll always be thinking about what you could have gotten.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I got the same rental upgrade last year in Vegas. We where headed to Zion and it made for a fun trip.

Fun car if it fits your needs. The size would be problem for me as an everyday car.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Mustang with the V6. It is the previous body style. 2015 is the start of the current body style for the Mustang. The only thing I would recommend you do is get the best stereo with Nav right from the start. The way Ford integrates it's electronics now you can't upgrade the stereo later without replacing the whole panel that the stereo and A/C controls are in. It adds hundreds, if not thousands, to the price if you don't have navigation and want to get it later

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 2017 GT350. It's my daily driver. I love it - puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Get the GT 5.0, you won't regret it.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Have you driven the V-8? I'd bet the 6 meets 95% of your speed acceleration needs. But then there are those days.

Does noise bother you? I was pretty surprised at how much I enjoyed silence with the top down. Quiet tires, quiet exhaust, it was enjoyable hearing the birds and cicadas.

You'll always be thinking, "I coulda had a V-8". Tell the sensible you to hold your beer, you got this.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
I recently bought a 2017 GT350. It's my daily driver. I love it - puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

I go to YouTube to play that exhaust note. It's better than AC/DC.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
...The size would be problem for me as an everyday car.

While smaller than the Optima, wouldn't be a problem. Mostly by myself, anytime we go somewhere together we take the F150, wife likes to be up high. Of course that will probably change as she wants the convertible. With the F150 comfortably sitting 5-6, what is effectively a two-seater isn't a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
...The only thing I would recommend you do is get the best stereo with Nav right from the start. The way Ford integrates it's electronics now you can't upgrade the stereo later without replacing the whole panel that the stereo and A/C controls are in. It adds hundreds, if not thousands, to the price if you don't have navigation and want to get it later

Not really a fan of factory navigation due to what they charge for map updates, but both have it. The GT has the top end stereo which seems to have some other things that come in the option package, advantage GT.

quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Have you driven the V-8? I'd bet the 6 meets 95% of your speed acceleration needs. But then there are those days.

Does noise bother you? I was pretty surprised at how much I enjoyed silence with the top down. Quiet tires, quiet exhaust, it was enjoyable hearing the birds and cicadas.

You'll always be thinking, "I coulda had a V-8". Tell the sensible you to hold your beer, you got this.

Haven't driven the V8 yet, I think once I do it will all be over. The 2.3L is actually a turbocharged I4. It seems close, but maybe a little quicker than my Optima (2L I4 turbo) Mustang I4 has about 35 more hp, but a few hundred pounds more weight as well.

Noise does bother me, hate highways speeds with windows down. Seems to go away with the top down though, hmmm - funny how that works Big Grin

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I always hate the guys who talk about their glocks or rugers when the OP's post is about Colts.

That said...Forgive me....But if you are at all thinking of a Mustang...DO test drive a new Camaro. They do a turbo'd 4, sounds like crap, and requirtes premium fuel. They do a V-6 that sounds fine, uses REGULAR and will propel you to a mid to high , thirteen sec 1/4 mile, with good economy.

And a 6.2 liter, 455 hp V-8 that CAN get 30 mph on the highway IF one can keep the accelerator in check.

Very similar platforms You should check out the Camaro as well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
My 23 year old son just bought a new Mustang GT Premium. Hardtop. Even sitting in the passenger's seat, I smile at the exhaust note and acceleration. It is an amazing car. I am positive that you will never say "I should have bought the Ecoboost." I am also positive that if you buy the Ecoboost, you will say "I should have bought the V8."

Oh yeah, they are sexy cars. Enjoy.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude, you KNOW you are going to get the GT !

I have a 2004 Mustang GT convertible, and it is a lot of fun to drive. The new ones have 200HP more. I have been shopping around for a new one, but I haven't found one that "speaks" to me.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am positive that you will never say "I should have bought the Ecoboost."

This.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
I own a 2014, V6, right now, and love it.
Very quite ride, but still a little sporty.
I owned an '09 GT and hated it after the first week. Too loud, heavy clutch, and driving manual shift through town became a bitch.
Havnt tried the new GT/5.0 yet, but probably will next year.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Do the GT V-8.
The gas mileage is pretty decent if you leave it stock.
Leaving it stock can be problematic though.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I always hate the guys who talk about their glocks or rugers when the OP's post is about Colts.

That said...Forgive me....But if you are at all thinking of a Mustang...DO test drive a new Camaro. They do a turbo'd 4, sounds like crap, and requirtes premium fuel. They do a V-6 that sounds fine, uses REGULAR and will propel you to a mid to high , thirteen sec 1/4 mile, with good economy.

And a 6.2 liter, 455 hp V-8 that CAN get 30 mph on the highway IF one can keep the accelerator in check.

Being the stubborn, pig headed, ideological guy I am, I'll never buy another GM product.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Do the GT V-8.
The gas mileage is pretty decent if you leave it stock.
Leaving it stock can be problematic though.

Thankfully most my miles are highway so if I could average 20 I'd be happy (hell my old Jeep Liberty struggled to average 18!)

What do mean problematic leaving to stock? I generally don't do much in way of upgrades on my cars except for possibly a KN air filter.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Being the stubborn, pig headed, ideological guy I am, I'll never buy another GM product.

Agreed. Not even used.

Do they even make a convertible camaro? I didn't think they did....but then, I don't even look at them.

My wife has always wanted a convertable mustang. Her mom had one. I don't get them myself, for that type of car...I go BMW all the way. With that said, a friend of mine growing up bought the bullit when it came out. Pretty neat car...sure looked like a lot of fun.

As LBJ said, I'd have a hard time leaving one alone after I bought it....even if it was the wife's summer car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2012 Mustang GT here manual 6

25 mpg realistic on freeway

My overall around 19 mpg.

Check on gas requirements I can run regular and lose around 10 hp.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
You'll get around 25MPG from the V-8 on the highway.
Hard to believe but true.
In town though, 17.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post