SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Northern Mocking Birds.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Mocking Birds. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Where do these guys fit in the bird world ? I see them every day and they seem to chase other birds around. They are very vocal making many different sounds. I like their white markings as they resemble WW2 fighters in flight. I was told they boot other birds eggs from a nest and let a strange bird raise their young. I enjoy their sounds and how playful they are.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Some of the biggest jerks of the bird world.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cowbirds are the birds that lay their eggs in other birds nests.

Mockingbirds are the noisy, aggressive jerks of the avian world. (Just ahead of blue jays)

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The state bird of Arkansas, noisy and obnoxious. Go figure.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Fun when they mimic your alarm clock!

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I found a young one in the late 80's and fed him raisins. When I got home, he would follow me out to the mailbox. When I opened the garage door, he would fly in and set on the arm of the radial arm saw waiting to be fed.

I would get some raisins and add some water and heat them in the microwave to soften them up. I would throw them on the ground or as time went on, just let him get close and feed him from my hand.

At times he would hover in front of the kitchen window to get my attention. Big Grin

He also didn't like cats or squirrels in his territory so they got dive bombed. This went on for about three years and then he was gone. The only down side was he would crap on the vehicles.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Fun when they mimic your alarm clock!
Ah! Now that would be interesting to hear.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I found a young one in the late 80's and fed him raisins. When I got home, he would follow me out to the mailbox. When I opened the garage door, he would fly in and set on the arm of the radial arm saw waiting to be fed.

I would get some raisins and add some water and heat them in the microwave to soften them up. I would throw them on the ground or as time went on, just let him get close and feed him from my hand.

At times he would hover in front of the kitchen window to get my attention. Big Grin

He also didn't like cats or squirrels in his territory so they got dive bombed. This went on for about three years and then he was gone. The only down side was he would crap on the vehicles.
I have seen one dive at a squirrel.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
Cowbirds are the birds that lay their eggs in other birds nests.

Mockingbirds are the noisy, aggressive jerks of the avian world. (Just ahead of blue jays)

Ken
Thank you.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have a lot of plants on the balcony. To water the plants I set out a five gallon bucket to outgas the chlorine/bromine. A couple of times a Mockingbird has alighted on the balconey to give me the birds-eye stink-eye. The mockingbird cocks his head as if to declare 'Oi, get your filthy hands off my water'.

Most birds fly away but this one seems to be sure that its the boss.

Maybe I should set out some raisins.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
The state bird of Arkansas, noisy and obnoxious. Go figure.

Also the state of bird of Texas.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
I have a lot of plants on the balcony. To water the plants I set out a five gallon bucket to outgas the chlorine/bromine. A couple of times a Mockingbird has alighted on the balconey to give me the birds-eye stink-eye. The mockingbird cocks his head as if to declare 'Oi, get your filthy hands off my water'.

Most birds fly away but this one seems to be sure that its the boss.

Maybe I should set out some raisins.
I was playing a whistling game with them, trying to get a response. Sitting in my car with a passenger side window down, one does his slow down and hover outside the window, while making a sound like a cardenel. Just like he pin pointed the sounds I made. Smart little creature.

Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
I don't see northern mockingbirds often, so I think they're pretty cool. Another bird that belts out a ton of noise are great-tailed grackles.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Very annoying Bird who also is The state bird of Florida and state bird of Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas. We have one that wakes be up at daybreak which I do nor appreciate and will dive bomb Blonds from a 100 yrds away from it's nest. There a real pain in the ass bird!!

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 years ago, down in Phoenix, AZ, there were many many people that had their squeaky old maytag washers out on the back patio.

it was very common to here the mockingbirds singing the maytag song , for hours on end

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

There was one outside our window in MD who "sang" the sound of two little birds (wrens or sparrow) fussing.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They nest in the bushes in my yard almost every year. I kind of like them, though they can be annoying when it's a lone male calling all night trying to find a mate. Even then it's only because it's right outside the window.

I've really enjoyed watching the chase the squirrels and rabbits around my yard this year.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Trash bird as far as I'm concerned. Annoying things.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mockingbirds are noisy, but their song is pretty. And they will imitate other birds and sounds, which is cool.

They are aggressive in defending their territories, especially when they have hatchlings. I don't know that anything scares them much. I've seen them harassing hawks, cats, people - pretty much anything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
John D. MacDonald, author of the Travis McGee series, also wrote a somewhat autobiographical book, "The Houseguests". In that book he described an incident in a TX motel – he was awakened at 4:30am by the annoying sound of a chainsaw. While checking out, he complained to the clerk. The clerk explained that there was a boatyard down the road, and that mockingbirds had learned to imitate the chainsaw sound there.

He also wrote that mockingbirds around his home imitated the sound of his cats coughing up a hair ball. I laughed at that one!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post