SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Space X Flacon Heavy on the launch pad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Space X Flacon Heavy on the launch pad Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
https://spaceflightnow.com/201...on-heavys-pad-debut/

SpaceX releases close up images of Falcon Heavy’s launch pad debut

SpaceX has released the first close-up images and video of the Falcon Heavy rocket at launch complex 39A at the Kennedy Space Center. The rocket was rolled out on December 28, 2017 and raised vertical on the launch pad. It was lowered and returned to its hangar the following day. The Falcon Heavy will return to the launch pad soon for a static test fire of its 27 first stage engines, with its maiden flight planned later in the month. Photos: SpaceX.

With more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff—equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft at full power—Falcon Heavy will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two. https://t.co/NneqPRPr46 pic.twitter.com/oswCUreG6i

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) January 3, 2018

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Wow! Scary successful!

As of May 2012, SpaceX had operated on total funding of approximately $1 billion in its first ten years of operation. Of this, private equity provided about $200M, with Musk investing approximately $100M and other investors having put in about $100M. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX

First to Mars - and plants crops? - wins the planet?

Full image: https://americantoolbox.files..../mera-hills-2004.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Did the launch go off as scheduled or was it delayed once again?

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:

The launch date is TBA. No concrete date yet. They are going to strap it down and fire all the engines next week in a test.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

The launch date is TBA. No concrete date yet. They are going to strap it down and fire all the engines next week in a test.

How many ratchet straps will that take?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
quote:

They got a really good deal on them from Harbor Freight Big Grin

Seriously, this is one very impressive rocket. I can't wait to watch it lift off.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Seriously, this is one very impressive rocket. I can't wait to watch it lift off.

And watch the reusable parts 'fly' back to Earth!

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Where would Space X sit on the list of most successful nations space programs? I'll ponder the list might look something like this:

US
USSR/Russia
China
India
France
UK
Canada
Space X

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Interesting list since UK and Canada have never launched a spacecraft into space, ever.

I’ll give you the rest, but they’ve had a 40-60 year head start. Lol.

The FH was on the pad for fit checks, they never intended to launch it last week.

Right now NET launch for FH is 15 January, but they have a regular Falcon 9 with a covert payload (Zuma) as priority from the Cape on SLC-40 which is supposed to go up Sunday (7th).

Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting list since UK and Canada have never launched a spacecraft into space, ever.

I'm allowing that launches don't totally define the depth of involvement in space exploration/research.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leave it to a private firm. Even has really cool graphics. Next version will probably have some chrome trim and curb feelers. Maybe slap a bumper sticker on it that reads "My other rocket is a Saturn V"

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
quote:

ALL OF THEM!!!!

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post