SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does the U.S. Postal system know what their doing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does the U.S. Postal system know what their doing? Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I'd like to see how many 100,000,000's of pieces of mail the USPS handled on September 21, 2018 and they only screwed up yours.

I seriously doubt his was the only one they screwed up that day.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Just accept that the USPS incompetence is perpetual, and your BP will thank you for it.

More than likely this will be the best advice given in this thread.

The envelope contained a passport, birth certificate, and a marriage license. It's not something that I can say screw it if It doesn't get delivered. It is insured, but getting new documents is a pain.

The intent is to accept that they are incompetent, not to forget about them losing your stuff.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
The envelope contained a passport, birth certificate, and a marriage license. It's not something that I can say screw it if It doesn't get delivered. It is insured, but getting new documents is a pain.

For something that important, no way I'm using USPS. It's going to be FedEx for documents like that.

Agree in spades. If sensitive documents, USPS is the worst way you could possibly send it. Better to spend $35 or $40 for overnight by air with signature. I always do that if some company or organization requires that information. Imagine some USPS employee criminal stealing that information, or losing it and it sits in a box for three years until another criminal finds it. FedEx is pretty good for these types of deliveries, orders of magnitude safer than the gubmit.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
You do know that Priority mail is not guaranteed next day delivery, don't you? I'd like to know when it actually gets delivered.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they shut down USPS and gave the service to UPS or FedEx they would do a much better job for the same cost and unlike USPS they wouldn’t operate at a deficit.

Last week my girlfriend ordered some Garrett's Caramel Popcorn, which is delivered by UPS, their Next Day service. It was delivered to some house about two blocks east of us and sat in the sun, melting.

We used to have Ringers Lactate delivered by the case when we had several cats with kidney disease. We gave up and bought it from a local pharmacy at a premium, after FedEx delivered one case to another town, and another was left behind some bushes by a side door we never used.

These are the memorable SNAFU's, among many over the years, so none of these services is really trustworthy and 100% reliable. If you absolutely, positively need it done right, do it yourself.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's what you get when you have typical government union employees who have no real accountability to anyone and can't get fired.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had zero trouble with USPS since moving to N. Houston a little over 2 years ago.

On the other hand, UPS Houston sucks sweaty dog scrotums. In the last 2 years:
  • Thieving bastards stole an office chair out of the Houston hub that was supposed to be delivered to me.
  • If it gets too late, the carrier will mark package addressed improperly even though address is perfect.
  • If you have something heavy delivered (e.g. 1000 rounds of ammo) often the carrier will carry the missed you ticket up to your front door and not ring doorbell instead of trying to deliver box of ammo. Had them do this 3 days in a row and had to pick-up at hub.
  • Their hub is in a shithole neighborhood (Fedex's nearest hub is not).
  • Have moved a package 1200 miles in 1 day and then taken a week to deliver the last 20 miles

UPS is not any better in my hometown. 3 Christmases ago, the last 3 weeks of December the UPS did not deliver anything to a brick & mortar gun store I used as a FFL for a long gun. Owner has a camera facing the street and not once did the UPS truck ever drive down the street despite most days packages were marked delivery attempted. Some of those days, packages were marked delivery attempted at 6:30 AM Roll Eyes Two of the guys waiting for guns were UPS employees and they had to get management involved, but it was already past New Years at this point.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Armed and Gregarious
    Picture of DMF
    posted Hide Post
    Their?

Razz

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SevenPlusOne
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    It's what you get when you have typical government union employees who have no real accountability to anyone and can't get fired.

They can be fired for any number of things.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of rtquig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ogie:
    You do know that Priority mail is not guaranteed next day delivery, don't you? I'd like to know when it actually gets delivered.

Yes, at the time of mailing on Thursday I was told that the envelope would be received on Monday. I was also told I would be able to track it and see the signature when it was delivered.

My intent was send it Certified with Return Receipt. The fellow at the counter said why not go priority as I can still track it, see the signature and have insurance on it. Today, when I tried to track it, they system could not find the tracking number.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

They can be fired for any number of things.

They can but they aren’t. I believe it was this forum where a member is a USPS supervisor and described how hard it was to discipline the people under him. Incompetence at USPS seems to be the norm, I don’t even complain any more since it never results in a change in behavior. After 20 years of complaining with the same problems happening over and over I don’t waste my breath.

Picture of rtquig
    posted Hide Post
    Here is the newest track, looks like it will arrive Today, but no one works there on Saturday and I was told that by the post office worker that the signature won't appear until Monday. I don't know why it went back and forth from Newark to Philly.

Tracking History

September 22, 2018, 8:31 am
    Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
    PHILADELPHIA PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item departed our PHILADELPHIA PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on September 22, 2018 at 8:31 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

September 21, 2018, 6:58 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    PHILADELPHIA PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

September 21, 2018, 4:04 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

September 21, 2018, 8:40 am
    NEWARK NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

September 21, 2018, 4:33 am
    PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

September 21, 2018, 3:10 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility

September 20, 2018, 8:30 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

September 20, 2018, 4:37 pm
    Departed Post Office
    LANOKA HARBOR, NJ 08734

September 20, 2018, 10:12 am
    USPS in possession of item
    LANOKA HARBOR, NJ 08734

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Imagination and focus
    become reality
    posted Hide Post
    But that is not the Post Office's fault that there is no one at the address to pick up the letter.

It seems that it got there like it was supposed to and you are getting what you paid for.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Imagination and focus
    become reality
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:
    What else can you get done for the price of a stamp?

Cheaper than a courier or delivering it yourself.

If they shut down USPS and gave the service to UPS or FedEx they would do a much better job for the same cost and unlike USPS they wouldn’t operate at a deficit.

This is a fairy tale. Why do you think that UPS drops off some of their parcels at local Post Offices for the local letter carriers to deliver? Then tell me that UPS will deliver letters to every household in the United State for 50 cents.

If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

This is a fairy tale. Why do you think that UPS drops off some of their parcels at local Post Offices for the local letter carriers to deliver? Then tell me that UPS will deliver letters to every household in the United State for 50 cents.

So how long have you worked for USPS? Let me explain it another way. If UPS had 70 billion dollars a year that USPS wastes and still cannot work efficiently, I assure you that they could deliver a letter for fifty cents. It appears you are the one believing in a fairy tale if you think the government is more efficient than the private sector.

Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

So how long have you worked for USPS? Let me explain it another way. If UPS had 70 billion dollars a year that USPS wastes and still cannot work efficiently, I assure you that they could deliver a letter for fifty cents. It appears you are the one believing in a fairy tale if you think the government is more efficient than the private sector.

USPS Priority is shipped in partnership (depending on destination) with Fed Ex,

as in Fed Ex provides part of the transportation,

USPS and UPS also have some partnerships, including delivering each others packages,

USPS in my area is pretty damn good, lost one (of maybe 3000 shipped, or more,) in 15 yrs,

only a handful, or less damaged (Insurance took care of them,) in the same time

fedex is now good, here, but sucked for years, and the express hub looks like a jail, concertina wire and all,

UPS , has usually been better than fed ex, but will deliver to a neighbor, or miss the shop sometimes,

for the amount of mail they use, USPS does ok

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Imagination and focus
    become reality
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

I'm retired now but I did work for them for 38 years. You can explain it any way you like but that doesn't prove you are right. And you start with the premise that the Postal Service wastes 70 billion dollars per year. You can't be taken seriously.

Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    From the initial scan to delivery took less than 24 hours.
    I don’t know why the exact route was chosen, but that’s about about as good as it gets in the PO system.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

The problem with having private carriers take over the mail delivery. They will fight over the congested routes. But the really rural routes where there is 1 mailbox every mile or more, they won't take because there is no way for these routes to be profitable.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post