SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with FIOS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with FIOS Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I know para had a thread on routers a year or so back, I had a few additional questions. I just ordered Internet only, no cable or tv. We have the fios ONT, and the sales guy on the phone said my hardware was fine for diy install. I didn't want to rent their router, so I was going to use one I had here, or go to Best Buy and get one. One of my questions is, is this as simple as plugging in and setting up? Will any router work? I only see a coax cable coming from the Verizon box, do I need a router compatible with that? Some sort of box that converts the coax? Am I being retarded, should I just wait for the fios tech? The problem is my security cameras get put up and hard wired the 3rd, the earliest fios apt is the 5th, and I want them working when they get put up.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Depends on how they demarc.

If they stop at coax, because you don't want their "router" (A cable modem is a router) and either is provisioned to be a "bridged" device and simply act as a media converter from coax to Ethernet, and then you hang your router off of their device, or they set it up as a router, and hand off "routed/fire walled" Ethernet to your switch, or your router that hangs off of their equipment.

Almost any router will work behind either of the above router configurations.

Buying a coax to Ethernet device will need to match their Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) provisioning. And unless you have good reason to avoid letting them hand of Ethernet to you, bridged or routed, I would let them provide the equipment.

If there is power surge or other damage, they replace it and you are back up and running.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My ONT is provisioned for Coax (MOCA) or Ethernet. One phone call to their service department and I got mine set for Ethernet.

I see no reason for Coax (MOCA) if you are not using their TV service. Except maybe if coax is already there and more convenient for getting into the house.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
My ONT is provisioned for Coax (MOCA) or Ethernet. One phone call to their service department and I got mine set for Ethernet.

I see no reason for Coax (MOCA) if you are not using their TV service. Except maybe if coax is already there and more convenient for getting into the house.

ONT should have both MOCA and Ethernet connections on it. I am not sure it actually needs to be provisioned for anything, just what you plug into, if I am wrong it's just a call to their CSR and maybe a few escalations to find someone who knows Ethernet from MOCA to turn it on.

cmr, yes you are being retarded, who cares if you get to play with you toy early or have to wait for internet. If security guy needs to test/configure, then you should wait until your internet situation is figured out.

Once plugged into your ONT Ethernet port then you are good to go with any self provided router. They use their equipment to charge you and confuse people. If everyone knew that you don't need their "router" to get internet they'd do what you are doing, especially if they are internet only customers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post