SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A new car test drive just for fun.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new car test drive just for fun. Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
After going to range on Sunday, I opted to venture into the local Dodge dealership to see for myself if this car actually lived up to the hype.

2020 Dodge Charge Scat Pack Widebody

After driving it, all I can say is, holy crap this thing is fast. I've driven my share of fast cars over time, but this thing is on another level. Acceleration is nothing short of violent. It gets into its powerband pretty quick (that powerband is about as wide as the Mississippi River) and never seems to stop pulling, right up to the point you need to get out of the fast pedal. On my test drive I left 50 feet of dual black marks on a local surface road without even trying (sales guy thought it was hysterical). Launching this thing, even with its huge 325mm tires would take some practice, if the goal was something other than simply leaving clouds of white smoke everywhere. Oh and that exhaust rumble even at idle. Mmmmmmm, good.

As for its other attributes, 'no' it isn't polished, 'no' it isn't luxurious, 'no' it isn't that technologically sophisticated, 'no' it doesn't ride like a German luxury car, and 'no' it won't get 20 mpg around town. But if you want to put a huge smile on your face (and the faces of three of your friends) over and over again, this thing delivers like nothing I've ever experienced. And it's even got a trunk you can actually put a weekend's worth of bags in. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I am trying (and getting there) to convince my wife why we need a Hellcat...(getting ready to sell the GTO so that's step 1 on her requirements).

Reason 1. My SEG every time I drive it.
Reason 2. The passengers' either having an SEG or look of sheer terror when I give them a ride.
Reason 3. An awesomely big trunk (compared to the GTO's "barely big enough for an overnight bag" sized trunk.
Reason 4. Refer to Reason 1. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Dodge certainly has some good powertrains. However, I agree completely, the fit and finish and ride quality leave a lot to be desired. I had a Cadillac CTS-V for about 5 years and that was almost as much engine but it handled great and was a pleasure to daily drive.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Hemi in my rental last November in New Mexico. Buck 41 before I got on the brakes.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
The Challenger/Charger is probably the biggest reason Ford's not going to make sedans anymore.
I drove a Challenger Hellcat about a year and a half ago, it was more violent than my M5, but not as controllable. Shocking how fast you get up to triple digits and keeps pulling, and handles it with ease.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Jeff Gordon test driving a Camaro is what I thought of reading your post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ozarkwoods,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have thought of going and test driving the top Charger, Challenger, and Camaro just for fun. I am too afraid I would end up buying one. My current vehicle is a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z-71.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just for clarification gentlemen (and ladies), the Charger Scat Pack is the non-supercharged version of the Hellcat. It sports a mere 485hp and 475 lb-ft of torque. And trust me, after driving this version, there is no need for the Hellcat version on the street. On the track would be a different argument, but the Scat Pack version is plenty for a daily driven four door muscle car (what I was actually looking for). It's also about $20k less expensive than the Hellcat version.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I had a Hemi in my rental last November in New Mexico. Buck 41 before I got on the brakes.
It's not that top speed that shocked me, its how quickly it can get there from a dead stop.Again, this thing is just insanely fast for as big as it is. The fact I could throw four adults in it in reasonable comfort (well that is until I started mashing the go fast pedal) is what makes it an option for me. Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers just won't cut it for my daily needs.

posted Hide Post
We bought the Challenger with the V6, which has done a 5.3 second 0-60, at least what the dash tells me. A Hellcat would destroy me, if I didn't wreck it, I would have no license.

Flashback to my youth, I had a '70 Challenger with a 340. 18 years old and full of piss and vinegar. Summer I graduated was the year '75. I managed to get 13 speeding tickets before they pulled my license in less than 4 months.

One hell of a summer, and it's puts a smile on my face every time I think about it, lots of friends, GIRLS and FUN!!

At nearly 63, I don't think I would last!

Must edit to add, if I ever get the chance to have a Hellcat, I'll jump at it! But then again, maybe just a Hemi.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I’ve enjoyed my Charger Scat Pack immensely. 80% of the time there’s a car seat in the rear seat. Plenty of room and plenty of power. I will definitely strongly consider another one when the time comes which is hopefully a while down the road.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
How much for the GTO and what year is it? Smile I was never allowed to have one back in the day. Things are different now.Smile I don't listen to things my wife demands I not do.

Have Y'all read about the old guy who too a test drive in a challenger and went to the Buena Vista, CO airport. Checked in with the manager who said OK. So out they went for a few top end runs. On the last pass, they didn't realize how fast they were going and couldn't stop. Flew off the end of the runway (not a carrier) and kept going. Crash landed on the next little hill. Both Deadified. Sad waste of a great car. But I guess they died doing what they loved.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Dodge product in my life until I bought my Scat Pack.

I liked it so much I bought an AWD model for daily use.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Never owned a Dodge product in my life until I bought my Scat Pack.

A friend of mine has the gray one like that. It's super fun to drive or ride in.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Durango has the V6. Same motor used in the Police version. Very impressive motor for a V6. Scoots right along!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
The Challenger/Charger is probably the biggest reason Ford's not going to make sedans anymore.
I drove a Challenger Hellcat about a year and a half ago, it was more violent than my M5, but not as controllable. Shocking how fast you get up to triple digits and keeps pulling, and handles it with ease.

Sedans aren’t selling because everyone is buying SUV’s. Nothing Fiat makes has anything to do with it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^That's the truth. GM was practically giving away the SS, a 4-door sedan, Magna-ride suspension, 415hp V8, RWD. People aren't buying sedans and it's not because manufacturers aren't offering good ones.

Posts: 10911 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I have thought of going and test driving the top Charger, Challenger, and Camaro just for fun. I am too afraid I would end up buying one. My current vehicle is a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z-71.

Made this mistake a few years ago. After several many weekends of just for fun test drives found a Cayman in garage. Oopsie!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:And trust me, after driving this version, there is no need for the Hellcat version on the street.

That's like saying there is no need for a .45 when a 9mm will kill, or the anti-gunners magazine capacity arguments. I'll keep my 700+ HP thank you...

LS!GTO, go test drive one, and you will buy it. Plenty of deals to be had out there.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7495 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:And trust me, after driving this version, there is no need for the Hellcat version on the street.

That's like saying there is no need for a .45 when a 9mm will kill, or magazine capacity. I'll keep my 700+ HP thank you...
Nah, not really. That's the beauty of our capitalistic system. You keep your Hellcat and I'd be more than happy to drive a Scat Pack. My point was more that ~500hp is about the max sweet spot for daily driver duty IMO. The Hellcat, though an impressive beast, is just too much for commuting type activities, also IMO. And since I can't tap that extra 200hp+ very often, I'll opt to keep the additional $20k in my bank account. Smile