SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Men's fashion?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Men's fashion? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Take a look at https://www.indochino.com/collection/suits.

This is the Canadian arm of the Chinese lady who makes suits Warren Buffett wears.

Send them measurements, they make the suit, wide range of colors, fabrics and styles. Mostly less than $500.

I’ve never tried this, but it looks like it is worth investigating.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
FYI, the fashion now seems to be suits that fit like a wetsuit...

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^ Oh my...[/GeorgeTakei]

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
For my last suit, I used a company online that is named Indochino. If you go to that website, they walk you through the precise steps needed to measure yourself (with a friend's help) and get a "bespoke" suit made by them and shipped to you. If it fits, you're golden. If it needs alterations, ships back for free and the alterations are free.

Also, they are almost always running sales where you can get a suit made for around $300, which is great considering what most off the rack stuff costs these days. They're made overseas, but that bothers me not the least. Might be worth a look.

I will use them again, that suit fits me better than any off the rack suit I ever owned.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
For my last suit, I used a company online that is named Indochino. If you go to that website, they walk you through the precise steps needed to measure yourself (with a friend's help) and get a "bespoke" suit made by them and shipped to you. If it fits, you're golden. If it needs alterations, ships back for free and the alterations are free.

Also, they are almost always running sales where you can get a suit made for around $300, which is great considering what most off the rack stuff costs these days. They're made overseas, but that bothers me not the least. Might be worth a look.

I will use them again, that suit fits me better than any off the rack suit I ever owned.

That’s the same one I linked to above.

It’s good to know you had a good experience.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I wear sports coats or suits every day to work. brooks brothers is good but expensive. If you have an outlet near you they are worth a look. However men’s wear house and jos banks are both cheaper and will work for a suit you only wear occasionally. It is more about the fit and so a tailored suit is best. Mens wearhosue can do that pretty cheaply if you wait on sales. Remember your first suit should be a navy and second a charcoal or grey. Navy can be formal and casual based on shoes etc. don’t go out and buy a black suit if it is your only suit.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

That’s the same one I linked to above.

It’s good to know you had a good experience.

Been wanting to try these guys....might just give them a try.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
JALLEN I totally missed your post, sorry about that.

Yes, they did a great job and I'm well pleased. I figured that they'd soon jump their prices up ridiculously, but so far they still run sub-$350 specials on a regular rotation.

I already had a navy, so went with a conservative grey. I wanted it to fit smartly, but not that "hey look he has a pimple on his shin" snug fit shown above. Ew. They walk you through what style of lapel, how you want your jacket pockets to look, where the hemline on your pants falls to at your ankle, what split in the back of the suit, etc. For a bit extra they do the "hand stitched" look on the lapels, and they have a few items that cost extra, but all were really reasonable.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
JALLEN I totally missed your post, sorry about that.

Yes, they did a great job and I'm well pleased. I figured that they'd soon jump their prices up ridiculously, but so far they still run sub-$350 specials on a regular rotation.

I already had a navy, so went with a conservative grey. I wanted it to fit smartly, but not that "hey look he has a pimple on his shin" snug fit shown above. Ew. They walk you through what style of lapel, how you want your jacket pockets to look, where the hemline on your pants falls to at your ankle, what split in the back of the suit, etc. For a bit extra they do the "hand stitched" look on the lapels, and they have a few items that cost extra, but all were really reasonable.

No need to be sorry. You provided important info, plus actual experience, whereas I was just throwing out a link and a story.

I’m not a suit buyer any more. I have read several times about Buffett and his suits. He used to get complaints sbout his cheap suits. He said they were expensive suits, they just look cheap on him! He went to China for some business meetings and while he was there, this woman made him some suits, he liked thm very much and got rid of all his others. My impression is that he gets them free.