SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Men's fashion?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Men's fashion? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Its been 30 years since I have bought a suit. I was in a Brooks Brothers store yesterday. Are they considered good? If not what is good? Within reason of course. I'm not interested in a skinny form fitted suit. Just a traditional old fashion suit of clothes.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Brooks Brothers is good stuff.
Not the best in the world but well above average. Their outlet prices are excellent.
Just wish the had Large Tall stuff.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dependable quality at a premium price. Very tradition style. The tailoring to fit the suit to you makes all the difference. BB should have a good tailor. The jacket should drape off your shoulders without a bulge at the neck. The sales person will pull the coat down to make it look like it fits well. When they do they shrug your shoulders a few times to see where it lays naturally. Fixing this is difficult. They should have several different fits or cuts. try each on to see what fits best and then pick from that fit or cut.

Posts: 550 | Location: Gun Friendly Arizona | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On outlet malls, I work with retailers and nearly all "outlet mall" merchandise was made at a cheaper price point and is only sold at the outlet mall. It's a way for premium brands to enter a lower price point market without lower the value of their brand (supposedly not lower their brand value)

Posts: 550 | Location: Gun Friendly Arizona | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a lot of years since I bought a suit as well, and my last was a Brooks Brothers. Sale price on a 3-season, from their lower end probably. I wore out the trousers in less than three months! When I went in to show them the hole in the ass, all they would do was order a replacement pair and tell me to pay for it. I told them to stick it, and walked out.

Caveat emptor!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ_Engineer:
On outlet malls, I work with retailers and nearly all "outlet mall" merchandise was made at a cheaper price point and is only sold at the outlet mall. It's a way for premium brands to enter a lower price point market without lower the value of their brand (supposedly not lower their brand value)
True. In fact, BB logos even have different styles denoting "outlet" goods. IIRC, those logos don't have "1818". And much of the stuff is from China.

However, you can find some retail stuff about 2-3 months behind season changes. And the more upscale outlets (kinda an oxymoron, there) tend to get more of it.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
There's almost no reason to buy a suit in a store these days.

I know a couple local tailors who will make me beautiful bespoke suits for $700-1,000+, depending on the fabric and other options.

On the other hand, online retailers like Indochino or Hockerty can produce suits of nearly equal quality and fit for under $500. Not sure about exact measurements or how well you took them at home? They all have a reimbursement or direct-pay arrangement for alterations after delivery. They're also much faster than the local tailors.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I used to like JC Penney's Stafford line. Haven't bought any in several years.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The lapels on my suits have come and gone out of style 6 times...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for a funeral/wedding/church at Christmas and Easter suit, look at
Joseph A Banks. I’ve picked up a couple, on sale, for a bit over $100 on Line.

I wear a suit to Church each Sunday and special occasions. I rotate 2 JAB suits and 3 or 4 sport coats.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by AZ_Engineer:
True. In fact, BB logos even have different styles denoting "outlet" goods. IIRC, those logos don't have "1818". And much of the stuff is from China.

However, you can find some retail stuff about 2-3 months behind season changes. And the more upscale outlets (kinda an oxymoron, there) tend to get more of it.

Brooks Brothers 346 is another one of those labels.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The only suit I've had since 1967 has been worn with Sam Browne, sword and medals.

It'll see me out.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nordstrom

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The lapels on my suits have come and gone out of style 6 times...

That's probably true for most of us. On the other hand, almost no one would ever notice and those that do aren't going to be impressed with anything a normal human would buy.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Joseph Abboud at Men’s Wearhouse are pretty decent mid range suit.

I’ve been lucky and grabbed a few from Banana Republic when they have their 40% - 50% off sales. Supposed to be Italian fabric but made in China. They offer 3 different cuts.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If you want quality clothing with a timeless look, you can't do better than Brooks Brothers.

They have outfitted 40 out of 45 presidents.

Disclaimer: I worked for Brooks Brothers years ago. I still have a sharkskin 3-piece suit from the "Makers" line I purchased nearly 30 years ago. It still fits (that's my miracle, not the suit's).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What's the starting price point for BB suits?

Indochino starts around $400 while Harry Suits is around $350.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
FYI, the fashion now seems to be suits that fit like a wetsuit...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Canali, Brioni, Borelli and Ermenglendo Zegna make good suits. Bespoke suits are a bit more pricey and if you need good dress shirts you can’t go wrong with Thomas Pink.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Lands End. And I'm 6'3, 265#, 37" sleeve.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post