New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd junk call Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I got an odd junk call. I never answer any call that isn't in my directory. Usually my iPhone displays the city and state, but in this case it just displayed "United States". What's with that? The area code was 843. Google says:

"Area codes 843 and 854 serve the eastern third of South Carolina. They cover the Grand Strand, the Lowcountry, the Pee Dee, and the Sandhills. Major cities in the region include Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Beaufort, Hilton Head Island and Florence.Wikipedia"

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
just because the call shows a phone number doesn't mean the call is coming from that area, area code or number.

These guys spoof the number, you never really know where it's coming from and they change it all the time. Block them on one and they call back with another...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 843 area code, why you no answer??

Wait till they spoof your own number, that's always weird to see on your caller ID.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

I have had several instances where the caller ID showed my name and number.

Do they really think I'm so stupid I will answer the phone because I will think I am calling myself?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yep, they can say it's from anywhere. I recently was bombarded with calls from the NRA, which I ignored because they just got another donation from me. So I gets a call from my own area, Flint MI. So I pick up and guess what; NRA is not below tricking you with a spoofed phone number. I sure get tired of this shit. No integrity, et tu NRA?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Some SIP software will allow the administrator to send whatever they wish as the caller ID.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
NRA is not below tricking you with a spoofed phone number.

Like many of us, the OP here seems to expect honesty or integrity from the NRA. In all fairness, they're not as low as the democrats. But once it gets to that level, it doesn't matter.

My guess here is that its not even the NRA doing the soliciting, but instead a group of home bound solicitors. Hired guns, so to speak. You give them a dollar and they keep an agreed upon amount. Probably better than half. So if you want to give money to those weasels, give it direct and cut out the middleman. Most of them probably voted for the Hag anyway.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the scam where they ask you something and when you respond the transfer you to an expensive line? There's a good reason Not to answer the phone.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny. I told them not to call me anymore and they stopped. Still get mail, though.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It could also be legit.

I haven't lived in the 620 area code since 2001 yet I still have a 620 cell phone.

Since then I have lived in at least 9 other states using the same phone number with the only issue being AZ has 602 and people though I said it wrong.

ymmv Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
thank God for voice mail. I know a lot of people that don't answer if they don't recognize the number, I leave them my message and go on with my life.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Most likely a scammer. Let it go to voicemail then google the number if you're curious.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post