SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blackhawks' Legend Stan Mikita Dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhawks' Legend Stan Mikita Dies Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
Stan Mikita, who was the class act of the Chicago Blackhawks for 22 seasons and arguably the best center in the National Hockey League for most of those years succumbed to Lewy Body Dementia today. He was 78.

For those of us who grew up in the '60s, Mikita was the prime example of intelligence, skill, and toughness in a game where most players had only two out of the three at their best. Mikita showed up with all three every night. He started out as an undersized and chippy player who soon found out that you can't score from the penalty box. As a result, he carted off with the Art Ross (leading scorer), Hart (most valuable player), and Lady Byng (most gentlemanly player) trophies two years in a row in 1966-67 and 1967-68.

Mikita's passion for the underdog and kids with disabilities led him to establish a local Chicago program that became the American Hearing Impaired Hockey Association and has been affiliated with the Special Olympics for years.

You will not find a former professional athlete who was more liked, respected, and admired after finishing his playing career.

Tragically, Mikita was stricken with Lewy Body Dementia about three years ago. This type of dementia is particularly quick and aggressive, and it literally took Mikita's entire memory in a matter of months. Within a year of being diagnosed, he forgot his family, his hockey career (including the Hawks' 1961 Stanley Cup win), and everything he did after retiring.

In the past few years, hockey has lost three of its class acts---Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe, and now Stan Mikita.

RIP, Stosh.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
As a Bruins fan when I followed hockey as a kid in Boston, I recall his name vividly. RIP.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I just saw this, thanks for posting.
Hockey was tough to watch in Stan's day, little B&W crap tv's but it didn't matter when Stan had the puck on his stick. RIP Stan Mikita.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8337 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Stan.
I hope there's an ice rink in heaven.

I was able to meet the man a few times, truly a gentleman.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Frown

RIP Stosh

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace.

God speed.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post