SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need someone to talk to?? Just wear a Grateful Dead T Shirt!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need someone to talk to?? Just wear a Grateful Dead T Shirt! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I got my first Dead T shirt on my 8th Grade trip to Washington DC. There was a little headshop in The Old Post Office. It is quite the lively shirt TieDyed with the Bears. I wore that thing a ton into college (actually surprised it held up). Still have it just a little slim and short now.
I have to wear a size large tall T-shirt now if I want to keep my gun covered with ease or I am constantly tugging the tail to keep it down.
So pretty much all I wear is a solid color T shirt as those are easy to find in my size graphic/logo t shirts are few and far between.
Well a couple months back I found the quintessential Dead logo Large tall t shirt.

I don’t remember people stopping me to talk about the Dead in my old shirt. But I get multiple people a day telling me nice shirt and so forth. It’s crazy people will yell at me across the parking lot. I went to the grocery yesterday and the fella working at the Deli counter talked my ear off about his travels to Dead shows.
Of course Jerry died when I was 12 so never got to see them in concert.
So if you need someone to talk to just throw on a Grateful Dead shirt and head to the mall, grocery, or any other heavily populated place and plenty of folk will strike up a conversation.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have a drawer full of them from the 80s/90s. Saw them 100 times. Great memories and great music.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I've got one. Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
I saw the Dead about a half dozen times in the early 90s, it was always a good time!

I always bought a bunch of extra tickets for the shows I went to and would always trade stuff for them. I never traded for drugs, it was always for stuff. I was amazed at the creativity of some of the things I traded for! My favorite was a hand knit beer bottle cozy that you could wear around your neck. The parking lot was half the fun of going to a show!

I still have some bootleg shirts that I traded tickets for, even though they dont fit me 'round the middle now!

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a long, strange trip its been!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the lights just shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
Sing it Yooper

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm over 100 shows myself

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I got to see them with Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Bruce Hornsby played keyboards for them that night. It was an awesome show.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Jerry explained it the best, the band was like "black licorice, there are people who don't like it, but the people that do, REALLY like it". It's a small number and dwindling number who like them and still look for like minded heads.

I only saw them a half dozen times, but I was trading tapes since high school.

As I grew up, I had a hard time reconciling the "scene" with my different lifestyle. But now I don't think they really are a "hippie" band. The hippies kind of adopted them and defined them, but the band wasn't hippie at its core singing about hippie ideals. Listen to "Jack Straw", "Me & My Uncle", "Deal".....etc. These aren't hippie ideals. It's really Americana, of which liberals today despise. Even "Franklin's tower" is about the Liberty bell, "might have one good ring, you can never tell"

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Saw them once, that was a crappy weekend. Not a big fan of them to begin with (sorry guys, just not my type of music). Girlfriend at the time drug (not literally) me to see them at RFK. Ended up parking in a tow zone that wasn't labeled at my girlfriend's insistence. She ended up making out with some other guy at the show, car got towed. Ended up having to take a cab to some tow yard in SE DC. Dude had a nice mac 10 sitting on the table as I paid him in cash of course to get my car back. Later that weekend ended up getting a speeding ticket taking my girlfriend to a church recital and later that night ended up in the hospital with a gallbladder infection.

So I really don't have fond memories of the Dead that's for sure.

Ahh college days.

Chris

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
In the early 90's I spent a summer living with a buddy in his tiny beachfront condo on Venice Beach. Scored a couple of tickets to a Dead show in San Francisco. Drove up, got wrapped up in the goings on outside, never made it inside but could hear the music outside. Saw a UFO driving back to LA along I-5, good times Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Come hear uncle John's band playing to the tide,

Come on along, or go alone, he's come to take his children home.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
the music is, fine. some of the fans though, they're really too much.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I have a drawer full of them from the 80s/90s. Saw them 100 times. Great memories and great music.

I worked with two guys that were both Dead Heads (or is it all one word?), who were both in that same neighborhood of concerts. One of them had miles of reel-to-reel tape of concerts. I feel pretty safe in saying there is no other band in the history of music that had that kind of following and that kind of loyalty. The whole thing escaped me, but I think I understand. Just recently I listened to both sides of American Beauty. I still think it’s not only their best, but one of the best albums-period.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
It's always fun to have a common interest with others.

Isn't that why we're all here?

There's a shit ton of stories and urban legends around this scene which always makes for colorful conversation.

You're either on the bus or you're not.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Did not expect to see any Dead Heads in this forum. First saw them free in Golden Gate Park in the 1960's. No idea how many times I saw them over the years. A lot. No two shows were ever the same and they weren’t interested in being in the top 10 in the country. They were more interested in playing music. If Garcia was still alive, they would probably still be selling out stadiums all over the world.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

I worked with two guys that were both Dead Heads (or is it all one word?), who were both in that same neighborhood of concerts. One of them had miles of reel-to-reel tape of concerts. I feel pretty safe in saying there is no other band in the history of music that had that kind of following and that kind of loyalty. The whole thing escaped me, but I think I understand. Just recently I listened to both sides of American Beauty. I still think it’s not only their best, but one of the best albums-period.

Oh yeah, that is one of my favorites for sure. Very approachable for most folks. Lots of country overtones and amazing recording quality.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the shirt pair well with a MAGA hat and do the conversations change much when you wear both?

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I am sure a lot of people have a Grateful Dead story and like to tell them! They were almost unknown to me in the 80s when I was growing up, the band stayed away from Texas. Then I moved to Colorado and heard about them, but I was not really a fan of the music. In the summer of '93 a friend asked me to fly to Chicago with him to pick up a car and drive back to Texas with him. We went to Wrigley Field in the afternoon to see the Cubs, and Soldier and Field that night to see the Dead. One of the most memorable, fun days of my life.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Oh, I have a couple. Well worn. But I know what you're talking about. I am always amazed how people will comment on that shirt.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post