SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I will “notice” an attractive lady, but for my female coworkers and ACB - their appearance has nothing to do with my respect, admiration and evaluation of them. ACB is an incredible intellect, who obviously has put in great effort over her life to get where she is. The integrity, effort, and sheer guts is admirable. Her handling of the senators is frankly extraordinary.

Recognizing how she looks is at best 5th or 6th on the list, and out of respect for all she has achieved not something I would bring up. It does not change that she is attractive, and as a female who is so impressive, that makes her more attractive. That is my view and opinion - but not one I’d use to qualify my assessment of her. She will make one hell of Judge. Period.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
She will make one hell of Judge. Period.

Your whole post was very very well said! :thumbsup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am going to make a point of watching the swearing in ceremony live, as I did the last two. I wonder if she has a family Bible that she'll take the oath with? Things like that interest me.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Q. If Roe is overturned, what will happen to abortion rights?
As much as it pains me to say it, IMO Roe's not going anywhere. Roberts is the definition of a coward when it comes to big political issues, so you can bet he'll do everything in his power to guide any challenges to Roe away from the court. That and most of the justices would be very reluctant to even consider overturning it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Q. If Roe is overturned, what will happen to abortion rights?
Although very unlikely, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, the situation would revert back to what it had been before, with the individual States controlling abortions. There are those who believe that would be appropriate.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are those who believe that would be appropriate.

Yep. Federalism.
The mores, and laws, of Alabama are not the same as New York. We were intended to have a limited Federal government while giving wide latitude to the States:

“The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation and foreign commerce. ... The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives and liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement and prosperity of the State.”

― James Madison

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Caught a blurb on one of the fake news channels (local IIRC), some 'Karen-type' activist was opposed to Judge Barrett, saying something to the effect that Judge Barrett lives a 'traditional life,' and women who live 'traditional lives don't make big changes' or something such nonsense.

Really, that's your complaint? She comes from a stable family home, with a husband and a family? THAT'S a PROBLEM? Roll Eyes Confused Roll Eyes

I doubt these people will be sensible enough to ever look back at their lives, conduct some actual, meaningful introspection, and say 'WTH was I thinking?

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiggiGirl
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will “notice” an attractive lady, but for my female coworkers and ACB - their appearance has nothing to do with my respect, admiration and evaluation of them. ACB is an incredible intellect, who obviously has put in great effort over her life to get where she is. The integrity, effort, and sheer guts is admirable. Her handling of the senators is frankly extraordinary.

Recognizing how she looks is at best 5th or 6th on the list, and out of respect for all she has achieved not something I would bring up. It does not change that she is attractive, and as a female who is so impressive, that makes her more attractive. That is my view and opinion - but not one I’d use to qualify my assessment of her. She will make one hell of Judge. Period.

Thank you for the clarification. I look forward to the day that a recognizing the attractiveness of woman is 50th on a list of qualifications or what is noticed. I doubt a man's attractiveness is ever considered. I would hope that I am judged , respected, admired by the character of my person instead whether or not nature or my plastic surgery has been kind to me.

Posts: 28 | Location: Boston | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
Caught a blurb on one of the fake news channels (local IIRC), some 'Karen-type' activist was opposed to Judge Barrett, saying something to the effect that Judge Barrett lives a 'traditional life,' and women who live 'traditional lives don't make big changes' or something such nonsense.
I don't want a Justice Barrett to "make big changes"! I want her to keep others from making them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiggiGirl:

Thank you for the clarification. I look forward to the day that a recognizing the attractiveness of woman is 50th on a list of qualifications or what is noticed. I doubt a man's attractiveness is ever considered. I would hope that I am judged , respected, admired by the character of my person instead whether or not nature or my plastic surgery has been kind to me.

^^^ Do you seriously believe that she was nominated by the President and so respected and revered by us here, conservatives everywhere, originalists and constitutionalists, and simple ordinary Americans because she is an attractive woman? Here's a hint. Her outside appearance was indeed about 50th down on the list as to why she was nominated and why she is being applauded.

If that were Steve Buscemi in a dress sitting there in front of the Judiciary committee with the same composure, smarts, Judicial philosophy, and acumen, she'd no doubt be receiving the same amount of praise and encouragement from the members here as Amy Barrett, aka 50BMG.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I look forward to the day that a recognizing the attractiveness of woman is 50th on a list of qualifications or what is noticed. I doubt a man's attractiveness is ever considered. I would hope that I am judged , respected, admired by the character of my person instead whether or not nature or my plastic surgery has been kind to me.
You wanna discuss guns? Fine, discuss guns. That's what we're here for, primarily. I assume that's why you joined, primarily.

However, if you're going to derail this thread by seizing upon a passing, harmless remark by another member, and start posturing about gender and attractiveness, in a forum composed overwhelmingly of adult males, well, that's a problem. It's a manufactured problem, but it's a problem nevertheless.

Now, I'm a pragmatist, and circumstances being as they are right here and now, let's just move on. Sound good?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

At the risk of potentially offending you, this is never gonna happen. At the end of the day, we are little more than another species of animal on this rock. We're draw to the attractive whatever, be it the biggest slice of pie, the flashiest car, the most beautiful woman, etc, etc, etc. Its just the way the species is programmed and that isn't ever going to change. But is that the only attribute that matters? Obviously you know the answer. A SI swimsuit model working as our assistant that ends up costing us money and customers isn't going to cut it for long. ACB wins the day based on her intellect, demeanor, and qualifications. The fact she isn't butt ugly adds yet another positive to the total equation. But the biggest question I wanna know the answer to is, what guns does she own, and can she shoot? Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's move on, please.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I’m not following closely, apologies if it’s already been stated: when is the final confirmation vote?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I’m not following closely, apologies if it’s already been stated: when is the final confirmation vote?

Around the 26th I believe. The committee vote is scheduled for the 22nd

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Slam-dunk character reference from Patricia O'Hara!

Linked is the c-span video, hosted on youtube:
https://youtu.be/BrkD9mfvrB8?t=18731

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm humbled to have people of her character, ability and intelligence still willing to serve our country after all the abuse others have suffered.

I'm sure she'll be a great addition to the Supreme court.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Former student endorsing Judge Barrett, quite a character reference.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Brian Kilmeade made the observation this morning that she's so impressive and inarguably the most qualified person that SNL even passed up on the opportunity to mock her, simply because there's nothing to mock.

I think that's worth noting.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post