SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Ginsburg is dead. Does everyone agree?

How are things looking for the live judge? I was at the range all morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
And hopefully stays that way. Because, well, because. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not just merely dead, but clearly, most sincerely dead.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
She had a great opening statement.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I saw some of today's show, this sums it up well for me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yes, and that thread should be too.

I surfed through and it seemed to be a royal speechfest today. The one (vaguely) interesting thing that popped up was Kamala Harris' first shot, which was a petty carp at the hearing having brought "together more than 50 people to sit inside a room for hours while our nation faces a deadly airborne virus." What makes that actually (vaguely) interesting? Harris had a number of technical difficulties before she could patch in and participate - which would be an excellent explanation for "bringing 50 people together in a room" in order to ensure the hearing can go forward.

http://www.foxnews.com/media/h...sues-barrett-hearing

Here's to more sparks being struck as this mess lurches forward!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Very glad for this, Sigfreund.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
"Judge Barrett's credentials are impeccable....."

Her credentials cannot be pecced. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
They seem to have guns, why wouldn't they have pecs? Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thank you, SigFreund. I suggested this a couple of weeks ago, I believe.

Opening statements were mostly bloviating, but I admit to missing Sen. Ernst’s, my wife said she was excellent.

I did hear the statement by Professor O’Hara, who hired Judge Barrett at Notre Dame law school. It was an enthusiastic “letter of reference”, backed up with evidence of the wide range of areas in which Judge Barrett excels.

I submit for your consideration an excellent article by Andy McCarthy from National Review:

Democrats’ frivolous arguments against Barrett

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
So will they be holding hearings again tomorrow? I thought I heard somewhere that they might vote as early as Thursday.

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that today's debacle was just "opening statements" in which everyone gets to announce what their stance is. The following gatherings are when the Senators ask questions of the nominee.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the other thread tiwimon said this about Sen Richard Blumenthal, D from CT:

"Its a shame ACB couldn't have responded - "No. Furthermore, How Dare YOU! to have the audacity to ask such a thing, considering how you lied about serving in Vietnam while sitting where you are."

Some members may not recall that "DaNang Dick" flat out lied about his service record while running for the Senate 12 years ago:

"At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.

We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

The deferments allowed Mr. Blumenthal to complete his studies at Harvard; pursue a graduate fellowship in England; serve as a special assistant to The Washington Post’s publisher, Katharine Graham; and ultimately take a job in the Nixon White House.

In 1970, with his last deferment in jeopardy, he landed a coveted spot in the Marine Reserve, which virtually guaranteed that he would not be sent to Vietnam. He joined a unit in Washington that conducted drills and other exercises and focused on local projects, like fixing a campground and organizing a Toys for Tots drive...
"

Complete article from an impeccable (to libs) source:

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/0...al.html?ref=nyregion

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Can we get this thread title changed to "The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread."?

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...n-sense-gun-control/

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) warned during the Supreme Court confirmation hearing on Monday that Judge Amy Coney Barrett would erase “common sense” gun controls if confirmed.

Blumenthal suggested that confirming Barrett would mean adding an “activist judge” to the Supreme Court, thereby endangering “common-sense” gun control around the country

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and the problem is ?

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Babylon Bee starts strong

https://babylonbee.com/news/de...b-pulls-out-crucifix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
She's very impressive. Her clear explanations to questions and obvious command of the law helps me see why she is referred to as a female Scalia.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Ms HK AG was telling me that she was hearing that Schumer is signaling that they just wont support a quorum thus dragging the vote out?
What is the parliamentary remedy for this game?

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post