SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
Picture of SiggiGirl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
How can anyone, regardless of political affiliation, not admire such an Intelligent, attractive, conservative woman?

A true Alpha Female.

why does attractiveness matter?

Posts: 28 | Location: Boston | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A vote on the Senate floor is expected to take place around October 26.

I fully expect the desperate Democrats to pull out all the stops in order to slow this down, you watch.

Limbaugh is floating the idea that Mazie Horono's questioning to Barrett about if she was ever involved in any inappropriate sexual advances or involved in any settlements related to such is a set up question. He is floating the idea they have another Ballsy Ford waiting to be brought out just before the vote so it needs to be investigated and taking the vote beyond the election. Knowing the way they operate it wouldn't surprise me.

Limbaugh is talking through his hat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
^^^ Okay, maybe I’m missing something but how can that be an issue? Kameltoe is being allowed to question remotely. If one can do that, why could they not be able to do so in order to have a quorum?

I’m being serious here and this isn’t directed at you Bama. This just doesn’t make sense to me.

Because voting is not the same as asking questions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Let them lick stamps.

("overnight" mail them...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Roe v. Wade issue is moot and "settled law", but I do have the Scalia view that it was improperly ruled.

No question that SCOTUS "made law" with this ruling which is the purview of Congress and not the Court. As such I believe it can be overturned on that basis as it really isn't "settled law" of any sort.

That isn't what most lawyers and judges mean by settled law. "Settled" means that it is no real danger of being overturned. The source of that original ruing is not a factor.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I thought she stated that Super Precedent was when a case makes a decision and then it is no longer debated and becomes precedent. She then went on to say that because Roe keeps coming up it cant be considered a super precedent case.

Basically right. A decision becomes super-precedent when it becomes so accepted that no one makes claims that it is wrong and should be overturned, or even tweaked.

Marbury v. Madison is a good example. No one makes any real claims that judicial review should be overturned, even in the lower courts, and if even some lunatic does, they lose on a summary basis post haste. Even though many believe Marbury is wrongly decided, it is no danger of being overturned and isn't even seriously challenged.

Roe isn't super-precedent because its limits are still litigated regularly. Suits are filed all the time when states enact new restrictions or other legislation concerning abortion. Declaring something super-precedent isn't about one's belief in the rightness or wrongness of a decision; it is about how litigants and courts treat the decision.

One can fervently believe Marbury (even Brown v Board) is wrong. But no one thinks that litigating that is worth any effort at all. They are impregnable as precedents.

ACB may believe Roe is wrongly decided. She may believe is it a good decision (I doubt that, but maybe.) Those have nothing to do with her view that it isn't super-precedent.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

I think there will likely always be cases and arguments over aspects of Roe, but unlikely the that all abortion, contraception or direct related issues would become outlawed. Just cannot see a return to that, anymore than a lot of the arguments for things like woman or black voting and things in similar vein.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there will likely always be cases and arguments over aspects of Roe...

Well, as long as half the population thinks abortion is the taking of an innocent human life, you can bet there will continue to be arguments over Roe.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiggiGirl:
quote:
How can anyone, regardless of political affiliation, not admire such an Intelligent, attractive, conservative woman?

A true Alpha Female.

It doesn't. But we still notice it.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Basically right.

Thanks for taking thr time to offer further explanation.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...mination-october-23/

The Senate will take up the United States Supreme Court nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett on October 23, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) announced Thursday.

“We’ll go to the floor on Friday the 23rd and stay on it until we finished [sic]. We have the votes,” McConnell stated. The final vote will likely occur the week of October 26.

McConnell’s remark comes one day after affirming that he has secured enough votes to confirm Barrett to the nation’s highest Court.

On Thursday, Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) officially scheduled a panel vote for Barrett’s nomination for the following Thursday.

“It’s clear to me from reading in the paper is that what’s going to happen is we’re going to be denied the ability to operate as normal. … I know what awaits us,” said Graham.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
We all know the dems will try more sabotage between now and the end of next week. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what it is. Because it's coming. Oh yes. As sure as the Pope shits in the woods, it's coming.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiggiGirl
posted Hide Post
quote:

A true Alpha Female.

What does being attractive have to do with it?

Posts: 28 | Location: Boston | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiggiGirl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
quote:
I;m glad that it doesn't matter. I doubt that you would list a man's qualifications as "good looking," even if you noticed. Just saying - objective of women's physical appearance is so last century.
A true Alpha Female.

It doesn't. But we still notice it.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

A true Alpha Female.
What impresses me most about ACB is that though brilliant and confident, she exudes a sense of humbleness and down to earth, grounded nature. Nice to see someone at this level of their career not appear to be interested in looking down her nose at everyone else. I think she'll make an excellent justice, and I look forward to reading her opinions as they become available.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A true Alpha Female.

What does being attractive have to do with it?

What should physical qualities do with it? In a perfect world, nothing.

What do physical qualities have to do with it? In the imperfect world we actually live in, some.

As someone who considers himself ugly, I’m aware that my ugliness matters. Unlike liberals I don’t bitch about how unfair my life is and instead put in extra work to make up for my stupid looking face. It’s not fair, but life isn’t fair and I don’t cry about it.

To say that someone is attractive and that their attractiveness is a positive feature isn’t an automatic insult to us ugly people. It’s simply an added bonus to an otherwise very qualified person.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
... though brilliant and confident, she exudes a sense of humbleness and down to earth, grounded nature

we could say you take judicial notice of her abilities.

ISO video of "do you own a gun" and "notebook".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q. If Roe is overturned, what will happen to abortion rights?

A. This will disappoint people on both sides of the issue, but the answer is - not much. If Roe is overturned, the abortion issue goes back to the states. Liberal leaning states won't do a thing to restrict abortion. What about more conservative states? Well, in those states it is already in some cases difficult to get an abortion. Abortion clinics in those states are in many cases few in number. And they already have restrictions on late term abortions etc. So if Roe is overturned, it's likely to have little impact on the total number of abortions. I read an interesting article on the subject a few weeks ago, but didn't copy the link. The article made a lot of sense.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Even then, abortion will come back before the courts sooner rather than later and in multiple guises. We thought Heller was a big deal but weren't surprised that it wound up being only the start of the litigation. There's no reason those favoring legal abortion wouldn't expect to (and do) the same thing.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Found both 'notes' and 'own a gun' video ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post