SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
I loved that part where she held up the blank notepad for that sanctimonious prick to see. She is twice as smart as all those morons combined.

Uhm... I'm pretty certain that was a setup. You know: As in one player setting up another for a spike in volleyball?

That could have been. I had just tuned in and heard the question, but not the I.D. of the one who asked it. When I heard it, it sounded exactly like what a leftist would ask/accuse her of and pissed me off.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A vote on the Senate floor is expected to take place around October 26.

I fully expect the desperate Democrats to pull out all the stops in order to slow this down, you watch.

Limbaugh is floating the idea that Mazie Horono's questioning to Barrett about if she was ever involved in any inappropriate sexual advances or involved in any settlements related to such is a set up question. He is floating the idea they have another Ballsy Ford waiting to be brought out just before the vote so it needs to be investigated and taking the vote beyond the election. Knowing the way they operate it wouldn't surprise me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A vote on the Senate floor is expected to take place around October 26.

I fully expect the desperate Democrats to pull out all the stops in order to slow this down, you watch.

Limbaugh is floating the idea that Mazie Horono's questioning to Barrett about if she was ever involved in any inappropriate sexual advances or involved in any settlements related to such is a set up question. He is floating the idea they have another Ballsy Ford waiting to be brought out just before the vote so it needs to be investigated and taking the vote beyond the election. Knowing the way they operate it wouldn't surprise me.

They definitely have something up their sleeve. The kavanaugh mess did not come up yet at this point in the process. She has been extremely Impressive thus far...

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
BAM! Josh Hawley (R-MO) just slammed the dems continuing to bring up "foreign emoluments" scenarios trying to smear DJT and get ACB to answer to hypothetical questions (as she has steadfastly refused to do).

Halwey asked if a "hypothetical" child of a "hypothetical" Vice President was receiving "hypothetical" payments in exchange for "hypothetical" access and influence would it be a violation of the emoluments clause?

ACB replied "I can't answer hypothetical questions"

Hawley - "I thought you might say that since this could be a case that comes before the court"

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Today solidified what was obvious yesterday.
This judge is smart as hell and some senators are among the most ignorant, self important shitheads breathing precious oxygen.

The Ds remind me of the short bus kid that shit in the pool and thinks the screaming is people cheering him on.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why aren't the Republicans taking the vote tomorrow then?

Why fart around and wait until October 26th? Just gives the goddam desperate Democrats more time to find out she hired an illegal alien nanny for 2 weeks back in 2002... Mad

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why fart around and wait until October 26th? Just gives the goddam desperate Democrats more time to find out she hired an illegal alien nanny for 2 weeks back in 2002... Mad

Agree. They did the 3 day show for the cameras. Have the vote tonight.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That is actually weird. No one seems to have really noticed anything about the hearings, so it's not like there's anything to be 'investigated' or that will have any real impact on anything else. There's just no reason to not hold the vote. The only real possibility is that there's some horse trading going on and some Senators have to get some part of the trade delivered before the votes get cast to confirm Barrett, but is anything else really going on in DC these days?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

So the country can see that she's a highly-qualified, dignified woman, not a kook, and the Democrat senators have nothing substantive to say to her. Really undermines the narrative that Trump did something bad by nominating her before the election.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^That's only because they think the American Electorate is THAT Stupid! Roll Eyes
And they are right--some of them are!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yes, but while SOME are that Stupid, the Left thinks EVERYONE is that Stupid!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
How many bites at the apple do these Dems get, I saw Klobachar and Booker yesterday then again today? I saw Cruz again today too.

Should be one block of time per Senator then close this stupid show down? There are 22 Senators as I understand on the Senate Judiciary committee. Lets move along!

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
hold the vote now

the dems can't behave like adults

time to put them in their place

the only thing I ever want to hear out of that Hirono is the sound of her neck snapping as the trap door is opened

what a waste of oxygen

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I think it was a setup...John Cornyn R-TX asked it and afterwards he said something like "Thats very impressive..." (that you don't need prompting to answer all these detailed questions...)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I loved that part where she held up the blank notepad for that sanctimonious prick to see. She is twice as smart as all those morons combined.

Uhm... I'm pretty certain that was a setup. You know: As in one player setting up another for a spike in volleyball?

That could have been. I had just tuned in and heard the question, but not the I.D. of the one who asked it. When I heard it, it sounded exactly like what a leftist would ask/accuse her of and pissed me off.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrett just put Harris in her place and I dont think Willie's chew toy liked it!!!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting until the 26th for the confirmation vote is in my opinion, a mistake. Too much can happen over the next 12 days. Take the vote this Friday.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Re-upping this for those who are curious about the process.

The quorum issue could come up because of Covid and quarantines. The dems are hoping to delay as long as possible in the hopes that more Senators get Covid and need to be quarantined. They are hoping to delay floor vote until last week of October. Here's more details for those interested in arcane Senate rules and manuevers:

https://threadreaderapp.com/th...710642058399746.html

1) The presence of a “quroum” is usually not an issue for Senate committees or the Senate itself to conduct business.
2) But issues of whether or not the Judiciary Committee has the presence of more than half of its members to constitute a quorum could impact how quickly the Senate can move the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett for the Supreme Court.
3) Moreover, the physical presence of senators is required on the Senate floor itself to vote. Senators cannot vote remotely unlike the House of Representatives. The House set up a remote voting regimen to cope with the pandemic in the spring.
4) There are 22 members of the Judiciary Committee. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) declared over the weekend that Democrats “will not supply the quorum. Period.”
5) In other words, Republicans will have to provide more than half of the members to do business at a “markup” session on Barrett’s nomination. A “markup” is where the committee sends the nomination itself to the floor.
6) The first “markup” will likely happen later in the day on Thursday, October 15. Democrats already plan to invoke committee rules which allow them to delay the markup for a week. But, there could be issues if there aren’t enough senators on present on October 15th.
7) That could delay the process further. This could be an issue if there are additional coronavirus cases or senators must quarantine.
The real need for a quorum is likely to materialize on Thursday, October 22.
8) That’s the day that Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has long said he intends to conduct a vote on the nominee in committee.
9) Committee rules require a quorum of the 22 members of the committee be present to conduct a markup session for the nominee.
10) Let’s say hypothetically there issues with attendance are on the GOP side of the aisle due to health/quarantine. Democrats could potentially help Republicans constitute a quorum to do business. But Schumer says Democrats won’t do that.
11) It’s simple. No quorum. No markup. The Barrett nomination is stuck in committee. Senators can vote by proxy in committee. But a proxy vote cannot be a determinative vote. Otherwise, a nomination remains bottled up in committee.
12) The practice of sending Supreme Court nominees to the floor with less-than-stellar Judiciary Committee recommendations is not without precedent.
In 1991, the Judiciary Committee sent the nomination of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to the floor with “no recommendation
13) That vote was 13-1. The committee settled to “no recommendation” after it deadlocked 7-7 to give Thomas a “favorable” recommendation. In 1987, the Judiciary Committee rejected a “favorable” recommendation for Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork 9-5.
14) The committee then voted 9-5 to send Bork’s nomination to the floor with an “unfavorable” recommendation. The full Senate then rejected Bork 58-42. Bork became only the 11th High Court nominee defeated on the floor.
15) Regardless, if things go smoothly in committee, we would expect Barrett’s nomination to be on the Senate floor the week of October 25 with a vote toward the end of the week. But if the nomination hits a problem in committee, who knows?
16) If the nomination is on the floor, it’s likely Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) will immediately file cloture to bring an end to debate later that week.
17) Under the provisions of “Nuclear Option II” (which lowered the bar to end debate for Supreme Court nominations from 60 to 51), we would expect the Senate to vote confirm Barrett around the end of October.
18) Now let’s consider a scenario where the Barrett nomination is on the floor – but there is another problem with health and quarantines. Senators CANNOT VOTE REMOTELY ON THE FLOOR FOR ANY REASON. They must be there in person to vote.
19) Don’t forget that McConnell chided the House earlier this summer for implementing a remote voting plan. However, McConnell even expressed concerns of late about how lax White House protocols were combatting coronavirus.
20) If senators can’t show up, Republicans could have trouble confirming Barrett. Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Susan Collins (R-ME) have both expressed concern about a rapid confirmation of Barrett. It appears there are only 51 GOP yeas to confirm Barrett.
21) If Republican senators are absent for any reason, that could pose a problem for confirming Barrett.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
^^^ Okay, maybe I’m missing something but how can that be an issue? Kameltoe is being allowed to question remotely. If one can do that, why could they not be able to do so in order to have a quorum?

I’m being serious here and this isn’t directed at you Bama. This just doesn’t make sense to me.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
^^^ Okay, maybe I’m missing something but how can that be an issue? Kameltoe is being allowed to question remotely. If one can do that, why could they not be able to do so in order to have a quorum?

I’m being serious here and this isn’t directed at you Bama. This just doesn’t make sense to me.

Senate rules. Yeah, they are stupid and arcane.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
How many bites at the apple do these Dems get, I saw Klobachar and Booker yesterday then again today? I saw Cruz again today too.

Should be one block of time per Senator then close this stupid show down? There are 22 Senators as I understand on the Senate Judiciary committee. Lets move along!

HK Ag
My understanding of the process is that each Senator gets to make a 30-minute Opening Statement on Day One, and then on the subsequent days each one gets to ask questions.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post