SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Day 3, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) claims Judge Barrett "strains originalism" because she will not opine on wording in the Constitution. LOVE the way his jaw flexes when Judge Barrett returns similar wording to him, three-fold Smile

C-SPAN hosted on youtube, Day 3, cued to 10:40am ET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...ture=youtu.be&t=6169

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Romney is in, no doubt. Murkowski will likely take the coward's route and vote "present" like she did for Kavanaugh. Collins is a crap shoot. But doesn't matter because McConnell has the votes.

It helps that the Republicans picked up two Senate seats since the Kavanaugh shitshow.

quote:
I don't trust Romney any more than I trust Justice John Roberts.

I don't trust Romney either but it doesn't matter because McConnell has the votes. He's good at counting votes. He probably knows exactly who is going which way.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Which means that Romney votes to confirm or isolates himself even further. There can be no other outcome to his little gambit.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://news.yahoo.com/senator...ainst-193617474.html

Senators Collins, Murkowski Vote Against Moving Forward with Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s Confirmation

Senators Susan Collins (R., Maine.) and Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) voted on Friday against moving the Senate into an executive session to allow McConnell to expedite the final confirmation vote that is expected to seat Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court.

The Senate ended up approving the move to executive session — which allows McConnell to file cloture, thereby overcoming any potential filibuster — by a vote of 51-46. Republicans are attempting to confirm Judge Barrett to the Court bench next week, cementing a 6-3 majority of conservative justices.

However, moderate Republicans Collins and Murkowski did not support the motion. Collins has already stated she will not vote in favor of Barrett’s nomination because of the vote’s proximity to the presidential election.

Additionally, the Maine senator is in the midst of a difficult reelection campaign against Sarah Gideon, the Democratic speaker of the state House. President Trump is deeply unpopular among Maine voters, and the senator has struggled to keep a level of ideological distance between Trump and herself.

Murkowski has not stated definitively how she will vote during the confirmation, although she, like Collins, has repeatedly voiced opposition to holding the confirmation in the week before elections.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has vowed to confirm Barrett on Monday. While Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D., Il.) has acknowledged that the Democrats cannot effectively stop the confirmation, Democrats engaged in procedural delay tactics on Friday in an attempt to slow the process.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, moderate Republicans Collins and Murkowski....

They are not moderate Republicans.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

I agree. They are sellouts.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
... Romney... he is pro life...

I no longer believe Romney has any core values. If he states that he is pro-life, I think it is because he believes it plays well to his electorate.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have hear that Muttons is planning on running again for President in 2024.

What a delusional loser.

Sorry for the drift....ACB rocks.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

I agree. They are sellouts.

I've said forever that Repub's should actively cultivate and support candidates in other states where they can actually win seats and leave Collins to wither on the vine. As to Murkowski, I'd like to see the GOP promote a primary challenger that could win and then throw all their support and money behind that person and drive Murkowski out of the senate for good. Both of these women are worthless.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.rollcall.com/2020/...mination-for-sunday/

The stage is set for a Sunday afternoon Senate vote to limit debate on President Donald Trump’s nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell filed a cloture motion on the nomination Friday. That sets up a simple-majority vote to wind down the debate one hour after the Senate convenes on Sunday. Under regular order, that vote is expected to kick off at 1 p.m. Eastern time.

Convening the Senate over the weekend should allow for the final vote on Barrett’s confirmation to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to take place before 8 p.m. Monday, likely to be the last roll call vote before most senators depart the Capitol for the last time until after Election Day.

The Senate has been in a procedural morass all week, with Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer having called a number of roll call votes on procedural matters and the chamber being unable to ever actually adjourn overnight

Schumer’s maneuvering included an effort to force a closed session on Friday, the first for the Senate since 2010. The New York Democrat could accomplish that with only a second on the motion from his side of the aisle.

Once the cameras were turned off and the galleries cleared, it immediately was in order for the GOP to offer a motion to proceed to open session.

The closed session lasted just about 20 minutes.

Friday’s session began at noon with Schumer noting that a quorum was not present for McConnell to make his own procedural moves, leading the clerk to have to call the roll to take attendance before anything else could proceed.

Further procedural votes followed before McConnell was able to file the cloture motion to advance Barrett’s nomination.

Senate Democrats could theoretically force McConnell to hold an all-night session of the Senate on Sunday, but members wouldn’t directly confirm that.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Now, if she sticks to it.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) said on Saturday that she will vote to confirm Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court on Monday, despite objections to taking up the nomination before the Nov. 3 election.

"I have no doubt about her intellect. I have no doubt about Judge Barrett's judicial temperament. I have no doubt about her capability to do the job. ... I have concluded that she is the sort of person we want on the Supreme Court," Murkowski said from the Senate floor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...reme-court-on-monday

Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
As to Murkowski, I'd like to see the GOP promote a primary challenger that could win and then throw all their support and money behind that person and drive Murkowski out of the senate for good. Both of these women are worthless.
Long story short, easier said that done due to the extensive Murkowski network.

Long story long:
Your wish already happened in 2010 when I lived in Alaska. It was during the Tea Party era and despite being the incumbent she lost the primary to a US magistrate and former Iraq war combat veteran.

Her father is the former Senator and Governor for Alaska. She was in her mid-50s and at that point in her life her Daddy had gotten her every job including appointing her Senator when he won the Governor's office. After losing the 2010 primary, Lisa launched a write-in campaign. Her father's cronies went to the remote Alaska villages (nice people, but poorly educated and perpetually looking for a handout) and made huge promises. Her father's cronies also included the media so they started portraying the tea party candidate, Joe Miller, as mentally unstable and then started being physically aggressive to the point one followed Miller into the men's room and shoved one of Miller's security detail. The reporter was handcuffed by security and of course local media used it as "proof" Miller was mentally unstable.

Her father's cronies also include judges and election officials which meant:
  • at the polls they repeatedly violated sign ordinances so that people had a better chance of spelling her name correctly since she was a write-in candidate
  • she got a favorable ruling from the courts on not having to spell her name correctly

It was a total shit show that lasted until Christmas 2010.

In 2016, at the age of 59 she won the 2016 election and it was the first time getting her own job in her entire life.

Unlike most places where there is 6 degrees of separation, Alaska has 1 degree of separation. I've met her, but I also know people that know her very well. I despise her more than any other RINO congressional critter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    wishing we
    were congress
    posted Hide Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/politi...on-final-vote-monday

The Senate voted 51-48 Sunday afternoon to limit debate on the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, setting up a vote on her confirmation for Monday evening.

Sunday's vote limited debate over President Trump's court appointee to 30 hours, meaning the full Senate will be able to hold a confirmation vote Monday beginning at approximately 7:26 p.m. ET.

posted Hide Post
    I absolutely can not rest until ACB is confirmed by the senate tomorrow, and then sworn in. I don't trust Shithead Shumer and the rest of the demorats.

This will be such a win for Trump, Repubs, and America!!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
    I absolutely can not rest until ACB is confirmed by the senate tomorrow, and then sworn in. I don't trust Shithead Shumer and the rest of the demorats.

This will be such a win for Trump, Repubs, and America!!!
    You can believe they will do anything to stop it . Anything ....
    I wouldn't be surprised if Pence tests positive for Covid at the last minute .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Glorious SPAM!
    Picture of mbinky
    posted Hide Post
    I believe the vote will take place around 7 PM tomorrow. I wonder if Trump is set to be in DC so he can be there for the swearing in?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^ Nothing is going to happen. She'll be in.

Q

Posts: 26377 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of DrDan
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sdy:

The Senate voted 51-48 Sunday afternoon to limit debate on the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, setting up a vote on her confirmation for Monday evening.

Sunday's vote limited debate over President Trump's court appointee to 30 hours, meaning the full Senate will be able to hold a confirmation vote Monday beginning at approximately 7:26 p.m. ET.

Thank you, Harry Reid.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post