SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you check/replace batteries in red dot/wml?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you check/replace batteries in red dot/wml? Login/Join 
posted
Well, with that said I try to do it every 6 mouths. I replace my flashlight and weapon light batteries, and the batteries on my scopes/red dot/EoTech.

I also replace them in my vest/magazine carriers 16 total AA batteries on my vest 16 total 123A also plus what's on my weapons, and the six flashlights.

This usually happens at the time of the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, this year it got away from me this spring.

So tonight I got around to it. Here is what I found. I had a Duracell AA battery leak in my Eotech. Ruining the contract, now it's down until the new contacts come in.

Also I had a 123A battery leak in a flashlight, again a Duracell.

These were replaced last October, and have only been used a handful of times. The Eotech 512 is on my backup home defense rifle. The flashlight is also a standby flashlight, close to the bed as a backup.

Usually they are replaced every six months, this time it went seven and a half months.

Out of the spare batteries in my vest, out 16 AA batteries four we're leaking/corroded. When I bought these Duracell AA batteries, they were freshly made, not even a month old.

So, has anyone else had this problem with Duracell batteries? I ask this because this is not the first time I have had this problem. I ran into this three or four years ago.

So, I guess I need to check them more often and maybe find a different brand. I usually use SureFire 123A batteries, and this time I did. As for the Duracell AA batteries, I bought a new package at Costco back in April.

What AA batteries do you all use in scopes/red dots and the like?

Oh yeah, check your batteries!

Arman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have hundreds of batteries in my house. I actually created a spread sheet to keep track of them. I track when it was last changed. I also track the current voltage. And I keep track of the battery expiration date (if there is one). Oh, and I keep track of my rechargeable batteries, when they were last charged, and what device they are in.

I don't just change based on time. My rule of thumb is to change a battery when the voltage lowers enough. For my red dots and 123 batteries, when they get under 3.0V, I remove the battery and replace it. (New 123 batteries start out at 3.25V) I don't throw the used (good) battery away. I use them in my backup flash lights, or store the batteries for SHTF. Obviously, you need to keep them as a matched set, as its dangerous to mix new and used batteries together.

Replacing lithium 123 batteries every 6 months just for the sake of changing them sounds VERY excessive to me. I excessively maintain all of my equipment. My cars, my small engines, my guns, my flashlights, my everything else. Lithium batteries have a 10 to 20 year shelf life now. They last a long time. You should be able to get 2-4 years out of a weapon light battery at least (if you are not using it). I suggest using a volt meter so you can at least see what your cells are doing. I think there is a way to check cell amperage (probably a better way to do it). I've always just checked voltage, and its worked fine for me.

DO NOT use alkaline batteries in your expensive Eotech red dots. Get some lithium AA batteries. You can use alkaline batteries in them, but remove the batteries for storage. If your EoTech is a backup optic, it doesn't really need to have a battery stored in it, personally. I have a couple EoTechs, and they are all backups to my Aimpoints. As such, I store them empty with no batteries in them, unless I am using them.

Stop buying Dura-leaks. I've had about 5 Duracell leaks in the past two years. I flat out refuse to buy that brand anymore. I've been through about 100 of the Amazon brand AA alkaline batteries and none of them have leaked yet. Prefer them over the Dura-leaks. $14 for a 48 pack.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonB...t/dp/B00MNV8E0C?th=1

Buy the Ultimate lithiums for your red dots (and critical AA flashlights). Yes they are expensive. BUT, they hardly ever leak. And you shouldn't be putting $0.39 batteries in a $450 optic.
https://www.amazon.com/Energiz...ds=lithium%2Baa&th=1

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I've changed my aimpoint comp m2 battery 3 times in ~15 years. I check it every few weeks. It's co-witnessed with my irons in case it goes out and I don't notice.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Duracells have gotten pretty bad. I've had newly purchased packages that had leaking batteries in them. The Duracell folks tried to blame that on rough handling. The package appeared undamaged.

They're making some of their batteries in china now.

Duracell's warranty still covers repair or replacement of items damaged by their crappy batteries, I believe.

See this thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...090000134#6090000134

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I'm not the only one that has had bad luck with Duracell batteries.

So, maybe Energizer be better, I'll be looking into lithium batteries.

I'm hoping that with new contacts, my Eotech will be up and running. It looks like it is only one battery contact that is corroded, with no other damage.

Arman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post