SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020 Democrat Primary
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020 Democrat Primary Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Wow.

Did anybody notice that Biden won Florida, has almost certainly won Illinois, and appears poised to win Arizona handily? It ain't over yet, but Bernie appears to be taking an absolute shellacking.

It's interesting to see that the Dem primaries have apparently dropped off of country's and the media's radars completely. One might almost infer that Americans aren't looking to either Biden or Bernie in this our moment of well-televised crisis.

It's even more interesting to note that Trump is getting far more air time on TV than those two. People are looking to him for solutions, and he's out there bustin' ass being Presidential. Wouldn't it be funny if we got to Election Day and a majority of the voters just said "Joe Who?"
Trump also got almost 100k more votes today in Florida than Joe did in a primary where no one really needed to turn out for him to win. Sorry, I'm a numbers guy.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not a problem, good news from Florida is promising stuff given some of the elections we've seen there before. Do you know offhand whether Trump got enough delegates today to clinch the Republican nomination?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^. Trump did.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It ain't over yet, but Bernie appears to be taking an absolute shellacking.

It's all but over. The only thing remaining is negotiating Bernies terms of surrender.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Not a problem, good news from Florida is promising stuff given some of the elections we've seen there before. Do you know offhand whether Trump got enough delegates today to clinch the Republican nomination?

See the Trump thread. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
It ain't over yet, but Bernie appears to be taking an absolute shellacking.

It's all but over. The only thing remaining is negotiating Bernies terms of surrender.

I almost think Bernie isn't in this to win the nomination, he just wants another house and a pile of cash.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This article does a really good job of summing up Quid Pro Joe's connections to the ChiComs. President Trump and the GOP need to hammer this home to the American electorate once Biden gets the nomination:

March 18, 2020
Joe Biden, the Manchurian Virus Candidate
By Selwyn Duke

If one didn’t know better, he could think that China unleashed the Wuhan virus upon the world purposely to get their man, Joe Biden, elected president. Jumblin’ Joe is their man, too.

It’s not just that the disease will assuredly cause economic distress as people’s lives and commerce are disrupted; it’s not just that no matter what President Trump does, the EneMedia will portray his response to the disease as lacking. (Never mind that Barack Obama apparently spread disease throughout our nation by shipping sick illegal-alien minors throughout the country. Enterovirus D68, anyone?)

It’s also that the Wuhan virus has now become a handy excuse to limit debates and Jumblin Joe’s personal appearances. Health is the concern, you see (Biden’s mental health, that is).

Heck, House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) even suggested that his party “shut” down the rest of the primaries and debates. The idea is to coronate Jumblin’ before his brain completely shuts down.

But don’t think it’s a stretch to say that, lucid or senile, Biden is for certain the Manchurian virus candidate. There’s a reason why Forbes wrote last summer that “Joe Biden Is The Only Man Who Can Save China In 2020” and why the “announcement of his campaign alone was enough to encourage Beijing suddenly to take a harder line on trade negotiations with the Trump administration,” as Senator Tom Cotton recently wrote at National Review. It’s that unlike “many other Democrats, he takes its side, reliably,” writes Cotton. (Certain other Democrats take China’s side only unreliably.)

For example, as senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in the ‘90s, Biden made sure China got most-favored-nation trade status and World Trade Organization membership (the latter in 2001). “Wherever a brake might have been applied — by placing human-rights or labor conditions on most-favored-nation status, for example — Biden voted the measures down and lobbied other senators for Beijing,” Cotton informs. “Unfortunately, China and Biden got their way, and American workers are still suffering from it.”

While we should have withered Beijing on the vine instead of creating a monster (thanks, Richard Nixon), Biden compounded earlier mistakes and continued feeding the dragon. In fact, even as China’s fascist regime (yes — with its market reforms, it’s as “communist” as Bernie is capitalist) grew in power and Xi Jinping strengthened his dictatorial hold, Biden continued lobbying for increased trade and more intimate ties.

Just consider that while standing next to Xi in 2012, Biden rationalized that competition from China was good for us. Yet millions “of American jobs were disappearing as he spoke,” Cotton reminds us, “and the militarization of the South China Sea was just around the corner.”

What’s for sure is that, call it “competition” or collusion, the relationship was very good for the Biden family. Oh, and if you’re guessing that there’s a Hunter in this story, go to the head of the class.

“Reporters thought it unusual when Hunter Biden, Biden’s prodigal son, accompanied him on a trip to Beijing in 2013,” Cotton relates. “That same year, Hunter joined the board of a Shanghai-based private equity firm. In 2017, a few months after his father left office, he invested a substantial chunk of his own money in the company.” Below is an interesting Fox Business video on the subject...

https://www.americanthinker.co...virus_candidate.html

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ukraine, China...his dad may be a big wheel at home, but is Hunter simply not capable of finding a job in the U.S.? Or is he so obviously corrupt that he can only do his thing overseas?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Better cut back on the coffee Bernie Big Grin

"Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) on Wednesday burst out in profanity when asked about the future of his flailing presidential campaign, telling CNN congressional correspondent Manu Raju: “I’m dealing with a fucking global crisis.”

https://www.breitbart.com/2020...fking-global-crisis/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't see much in the MSM about the poor predictions by the media and all the pundits concerning the Democrat primary winner.
Just a few weeks ago they were writing the Biden campaign's obituary. No money, he'd win SC but after that Bernie would run the table, etc.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Better cut back on the coffee Bernie Big Grin

"Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) on Wednesday burst out in profanity when asked about the future of his flailing presidential campaign, telling CNN congressional correspondent Manu Raju: “I’m dealing with a fucking global crisis.”
What happened? Did Bernie crap his pants again?? That's about the only "crisis" that guy will ever come across... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
(Sigh.) And that's why Bern is a perennial wallflower. Any politician worth its salt would have told just the truth in the most dramatic way possible and left it at that: he was in the Senate helping draft emergency legislation to deal with this virus thing that's got everyone having kittens, and at the moment it was more important to focus on his existing responsibility to serve the American people in the face of a national crisis than it was to focus on a primary race.

Instead, the old blockhead assumed that reporters were actually capable of parsing, much less willing to parse, a catchy line like "I'm dealing with a fucking global crisis". Brilliant.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Token, sign of real commitment, or a naked bid to buy control over the Dems' national campaign? Bloomberg donates $18 million from his own campaign to the DNC.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/bloo...nsfer-150031954.html

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Token, sign of real commitment, or a naked bid to buy control over the Dems' national campaign?

Combine that with the fact that Biden is unable to raise money...

Wuhan Coronavirus Victim: Joe Biden Fundraising

Making it Harder for Biden to Raise Money He Desperately Needs to Take on Trump

Former Vice President Joe Biden has a massive lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), so why the concern over money?

President Donald Trump and the GOP continue to swim in money. If Biden wants to compete, he needs the resources. The coronavirus is making it harder for Biden to raise those needed funds.

Rufus Gifford served as President Barack Obama’s finance director in the 2012 election. He knows a thing or two about fundraising, but he also knows that the coronavirus pushed publish health to the top of the priority list.

Gifford had to cancel Thursday’s fundraiser for Biden. He sold 75 tickets valued at $2,800 in Midtown Manhattan.

https://legalinsurrection.com/...e-biden-fundraising/

What do you get?
Opportunity for a guy like Bloomberg to control the DNC.

Bloomberg donates $18 million from his own campaign to the DNC.... it's nothing. Just a trifle.
Then he sits back and waits. $18 million is a drop in the bucket compared to what they need. Soon, they will be begging Bloomie for more, and that's when he starts getting concessions, putting his people in charge. It's what Hillary did when she took complete control of the DNC back in 2015-2016.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Which will thrill the Bernie Bros no end.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it's true Bloomberg buys controls the DNC.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Biden has no money.
The DNC has no money.
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

-rduckwor

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Biden's handlers are at a loss as to how to campaign amid all the COVID hooplah. Uncah Joe, of course, is happily chomping on a Christmas Pack of Crayolas.

quote:
'There's No Playbook For This': Biden Trapped In Campaign Limbo
Marc Caputo, Politico, 3/21/2020

Joe Biden reached a new and heady milestone when he shellacked Bernie Sanders in Florida, Illinois and Arizona to become the de facto Democratic nominee for president. But there was no soaring speech to acknowledge the moment. He never took the stage amid a sea of Biden signs or before an adoring crowd on national television. Biden was instead stuck in a makeshift studio in his Delaware home, webcasting his remarks with a low-quality personal computer camera against a straight-out-of-YouTube black backdrop and two American flags.

He warned about the coronavirus contagion. He offered an olive branch to Bernie Sanders. Then, despite two consecutive weeks of smashing victories, he all but disappeared from the news cycle for days. The moment was a perfect distillation of Biden's current predicament - in a state of suspended political animation, trapped between a rival who refuses to quit and the global pandemic that has all but shut down the Democratic primary campaign.

Because Sanders won't quit, Biden can't fully pivot to the general election. He can't truly unite the party's warring factions. Nor can he begin stockpiling the vast amounts of money he'll need for November. His momentum has been effectively stopped cold.

A source familiar with the Democratic National Committee's discussions says the party offered both the Biden and Sanders campaigns the opportunity to open joint fundraising accounts. But since Sanders declined, the party is reluctant to enter into one with Biden because of the bad optics of seeming to help one candidate. "That's going to eventually hurt Biden with financing if the DNC doesn't go ahead with this," the source said.

Stuck at home because of coronavirus precautions, Biden also can't meet with donors at fundraisers - which, in turn, may become less lucrative with an economy that's sinking into recession or perhaps worse. "It's a tough position," said Matt Littman, who's hosting a virtual fundraiser for Biden next month that the candidate and donors will attend through teleconferencing software. "It's harder to raise money when there's no face-to-face meeting and personal contact," Littman said. "And some of the normal peoiple I have to raise money from I can't count on. They have their own concerns. They have to keep their houses. The universe of people who will donate money will be smaller."

For the foreseeable future, all live campaign events are canceled, so he can't hit the stump to try to capitalize on the excitement he had just stoked. His ability to criticize Trump on anything other than his performance on coronavirus response and preparedness is constrained by the emergency-like conditions. As new polling suggests that Trump's approval for responsing to the virus is improving, some of Biden's fellow Democrats worry he's paralyzed himself. "Biden is only in limbo if he keeps himself there. He's only in a predicament to the degree he chooses to view himself in one," said Jeff Hauser, a veteran of progressive politics who is the head of the Revolving Door Project, which watchdogs executive branch appointees. "Joe Biden can either complain about the fact that he is not getting significant media coverage or he could do something to change that," Hauser said. "He needs to offer an alternative and offer a running play-by-play critique of the failings of this administration."

Biden aides and allies, however, are projecting an aura of calm, saying Trump's false claims and reinvented history (sic - IC) about the virus will haunt him on their own as the economy craters. The former vice president pledged to call him out on it by Monday - but made the statement via conference call Friday with reporters instead of on camera. Meanwhile, his staff is scattered, communicating via teleconferencing, email and conference call. Some remain holed up in Philadelphia apartments near campaign headquarters but others went home to Washington. A few are near the candidate in Wilmington, Delaware. Another is in the mountains of Puerto Rico.

The headquarters and campaign trail now run through Biden's living room as his staff scrambles to increase his social media outreach to compensate for the social distancing. The first step: installing a better video camera in Biden't house, which will soon have broadcast-ready capabilities and high-quality livestreaming software. To limit the risk of infecting the candidate, the number of staffers is limited within the house. The campaign also plans to flood social media with Biden to promote the brand of the former vice president who helped lead the nation's Ebola virus response, has a vast knowledge of domestic and foreign policy and is known both as comforter-in-chief as well as the ice-cream-eating, aviator-shade-wearing* everyman parodied in The Onion.

"The thing that's good about Joe Biden and the way the internet thinks about him is that there is a sense of brand, people know him as vice president, and they know ice cream and aviators. For us, we have to evolve from ice cream and aviators and being vice president to being commander-in-chief, while remaining relatable and true to his personality. That's the balance," said Rob Flaherty, Biden's digital director. "Our digital operation is putting out five-minute Iran crisis explainers and koozies that say, 'keep it cool, kid.' It's always been this tension," Flaherty said. "And for us, the challenge and the opportunity is how we keep it between the buoys and present the best image of Joe Biden."

To increase voters' sense of intimacy with Biden - who revels in one-on-one time with voters after public events - the campaign is discussing ways to find the technology and invent a virtual "rope-line" in which voters would waint in an electronic "queue" to speak to him briefly face-to-face, albeit via livestream. The campaign is also planning to hold more tele-town halls and is discussing a Biden podcast, in addition to pumping out more video clips of him.

In some ways, the Biden campaign wants to give followers and viewers a sense of Biden as if he were a character in a reality show, building a loyal following online similar to the way former presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke's campaign did. Flaherty, who was O'Rourke's digital director, said Biden's social media presence will be unique to him. So unlike O'Rourke, Biden won't be livestreaming from the dentist's office chair or skateboarding in a Whataburger parking lot. Flaherty said the campaign always planned to have a heavy social-media focus. The only major difference now is the campaign is completely online and it has to ramp up faster and on a bigger scale.

From the start, the campaign was designed to limit the news media's interactions with Biden due to his reputation for gaffes and going off-script (and livestreaming will avoid that how? - IC, which in some ways makes Biden's social distancing a boon - his campaign can more tightly control his image. Rallies, after all, are only a small part of a campaign, said Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton's former campaign manager [(who lost because Hill couldn't bother to campaign in the MidWest - IC). "The vast majority of voters don't interact with campaigns by attending rallies. They experience the campaign through TV coverage, social media, and advertising, and contact from the volunteers, all of which will still continue," Mook said. "This isn't the end of the campaign trail, but rather its full transition into the digital space."

But the Biden campaign knows time is precious. Trump's campaign is preparing to unload on Biden to negatively define him before he's the nominee and consolidates his base, which is harder now with Sanders still hanging around. Trump already has a far-bigger social media following, presence and reach than Biden.

Some compression for space. Original text at http://www.politico.com/news/2...iden-in-limbo-138726

*Is it just me, or is it beginning to look like Politico writers are picking-up-stylistic-tips from reading my posts? Nah, that's probably just me.

It's not surprising that Bernie refused to open a joint fundraising account with the DNC - the DNC would get a share of the donations going specifically to Bernie, I'll bet anything the DNC keeps everything in the account if Bernie bows out of the race, and of course the arrangement would suit Biden all too well.

Meanwhile all the little Donkeys are hoping there's no cost to Biden's inactivity because the economy will tank. Yep, once again, the Dems are cheering for the economy to tank. Pathetic, ain't it?

And where does that leave Biden? Essentially reliant on a "pure" air war of precisely the kind that Bloomberg's campaign rode straight into the ground. Only Biden's air war is, of course, nowhere near as well-funded as Bloomberg's. No wonder the best marketing plan his staff can come up with is try to present him as the star of his own reality TV show!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Dispatches from the air war -

Biden sets up livestream from his basement, suffers embarrassing technical difficulties, tries to come out swinging at Trump but only manages to say "he oughtta be doing something more". Meanwhile, Trump's main press weasel is laughing at him because Biden's questioning Trump's competence and diligence but took several days to not quite make a livestream work.

As for Bernie? Well, there appears to be a payoff to having all the kids on your side in that Bernie's released several on-air speeches and communications. The downside? It don't matter if the 30- to 40-somethings in the press are perfectly willing to ignore you.

Still, if the air war has any practical utility at all then maybe Crazy Bernie can steal a march on Creepy Joe.

"Joe Biden Makes Virtual Campaign Trail Debut After Several Days Of Public Absence". Brittany Shepherd, Yahoo News, March 23, 2020 at http://news.yahoo.com/joe-bide...sence-171648150.html

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I would think the Dems should be thrilled that COVID dominated news has managed to keep Joe from memorable gafs and publicized confusion.

I say give that man a microphone and let him speak.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post