SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020 Democrat Primary
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 79
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020 Democrat Primary Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good grief, they're comparing how many times they wash their hands.... Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
from what I have seen, Biden has handled Sanders pretty well. Don't see Sanders, so far, making this a game changer.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Joe Bidet handed Sanders his ass. After he cleaned it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, they're getting spunky now. I hope they checked them for knives. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Bernie, when you're just standing around saying nothing, shut your mouth!

I know he's trying to convey that he's stunned at the BS coming out of Biden's mouth, but he just looks like he's getting flattened. Or maybe it's just that for once Biden's actually relatively coherent?

By the way, did they intentionally pick that woman to be a moderator because she's hard to understand, or was that just a case of virtue signaling past the point of masochism?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Rumor is that Biden is going to prove his mental competence by deftly changing his own diaper on the stage.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Well...they're just pull-up diapers, so....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
This is such a shit-show. Like grandma Thompson and granny Smith having a scrap over the last cart at Big Lots at 1:00 on a Sunday afternoon shit-show.

I'm fully expecting them to purse flail each other before it's over.

So much fail in one show. It's a train wreck. DJT would smash either one of these frail old useless turds.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can't watch it any more. I think I'll watch 'Grumpy Old Men' instead and get the same vibe with more humor.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I'm going to watch a little of it tonight just for the sheer entertainment value!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've got it on, but muted. It's fun to watch how animated these two are.

"You smell like doo-doo!"

"No, YOU smell like doo-doo!"

Sheesh....

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I wish every American voter watched this debate tonight.

Both of these candidates are arguing for things that will deeply damage our country, our prosperity, and our way of life.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yes! I agree. Bernie is just a crazy old commie... and Biden keeps moving step by step in his direction. Bernie is winning. Even when he's losing. It's sad.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oh, I don't know. Bernie just failed abysmally to avoid saying complimentary crap about dictatorships, trotting out some (putative, at best, I'm sure) statistic about the reduction in "extreme" poverty in China under the Communists. This in response to a question about getting support in Florida. Then, of course, he segues off into moral equivalence and Saudi Arabia.

This guy is utterly tone-deaf.

As for bringing Biden over, well, maybe tonight's something of a negotiation session as well as debate. You'll notice they're both being vaguely civil to each other, and Biden even complimented Bernie at one point. A number of Dems (Donna Brazille on FOX comes to mind) have been rearing up on their hind legs and insisting that Trump can't be beaten without the Bernie Bros' support. I guess in their world it could be sorta like an old couple having a big ol' fight and then going to bed and having fantastic sex or something.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Excellent.

Joe is also Izzy Mandelbaum.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for bringing Biden over, well, maybe tonight's something of a negotiation session as well as debate. You'll notice they're both being vaguely civil to each other, and Biden even complimented Bernie at one point.

Yeah I agree with you there. Bernie knows he's beat. It's a negotiation for his supporters.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Trump Wins Dem Debate: Bernie Strikes Out as Biden Fails to Flop

The grumpy old white men who outlasted everyone else in the Democratic Party (except Tulsi, whom the DNC wants us all to forget about...) debated before an empty auditorium on Sunday, and Sen. Bernie Sanders (S-USSR) failed to strike a telling blow against the frontrunner and former Vice President Joe Biden. Sanders had been banking on beating Biden on the debate stage to arrest the frontrunner's momentum, but both men fumbled again and again, and both men appealed to their respective bases — which is bad news for Bernie and bad news for Democrats.

Bernie won't be able to arrest Biden's momentum, but Bernie's voters won't necessarily flock to Biden, either, when he (likely) wins the Democratic nomination. Sure, Sanders will endorse Biden, but "Bernie-or-Bust" is a real phenomenon. When Sanders didn't drop out this past Tuesday after losing the pivotal swing state of Michigan, he showed his determination to stay in until the end of the race. He will divide the Democratic Party, whether he wants to or not.

Both Bernie and Biden took aim at one another while still focusing on badmouthing President Donald Trump. In a telling exchange, Sanders insisted he alone could drive turnout up enough to beat Trump while Biden referred to actual primary results.

Bernie noted that even a majority of Democrats in Mississippi — which heavily favored Biden — also supported his plan for socialized medicine, "Medicare for All." He insisted that Democrats will have to get young people to turn out to vote. "I have my doubts that Vice President Biden's campaign can generate that kind of energy and that kind of turnout."

The former vice president countered that his campaign saw a "70 percent turnout increase in Virginia. And I didn't even have the money to compete with this man in these states."

Indeed, Biden's campaign had almost run out of money, but the former vice president won state after state on Super Tuesday and on Super Tuesday II. "Bernie outspent me four, five, six to one, and I still won!" Biden said. Former 2020 challengers Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Pete Buttigieg, Beto O'Rourke, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) flocked to the former vice president, unifying the party behind him. Meanwhile, former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg proved that money does not buy votes.

Yet the eleventh-hour endorsements and the strong turnout only showed that Democrats have a healthy fear of endorsing a candidate whose victory would mean the Soviets belatedly won the Cold War. Democrats flocked to Biden for two reasons: the former VP backed many of the same policies as Bernie, and he represented the most viable challenge to Sanders after the South Carolina primary. In fact, Sanders revealed the similarities between his policies and those of Joe Biden when he quipped (on immigration policy), "That’s kind of what I’ve been saying throughout the campaign."

For these and other reasons, Biden's primary victories do not prove that Obama's vice president would drive turnout to the levels necessary to defeat President Trump in November.

Bernie entered the Sunday debate with one central goal: knocking Biden down a peg so as to forge a path to beating him in primary contests going forward.

Bernie's own weaknesses prevented him from decisively prevailing over Biden on Sunday night. Both candidates are in their late seventies, and age showed on the debate stage.

Sanders encouraged his supporters to "go to the YouTube," a line that started trending on Twitter as viewers mocked him.

He later referred to the current coronavirus crisis as "the Ebola crisis."

Naturally, Biden did not avoid his notorious gaffes, either. Early in the debate, he referred to the H1N1 "Swine flu" as "N1H1."

In addition to the gaffes, the Democrats had a great deal in common. Both vehemently opposed the Hyde Amendment, which prevents taxpayers from unwillingly funding the killing of unborn babies, which many consider to be murder. Sanders bragged about never having voted for the Hyde Amendment, which he said "denies low-income women the right to get an abortion." While Biden has voted for the amendment in the past, he now supports forcing taxpayers to foot the bill for what they consider to be murder.

Biden actually got in a few hits against Bernie. The former VP called out Sanders for a misleading ad claiming Biden had advocated for cutting Social Security for forty years — a claim PolitiFact rated "mostly false." In fact, Sanders himself had once written that "As our population ages, it is clear that we will have to make incremental adjustments in Social Security taxes and benefits — as Congress has done in the past." Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid take up the lion's share of the federal budget, and America's fiscal sanity requires some cutting or readjustment. Sanders and Biden were right to support some changes, but now they're fully in the tank on big government and high deficits.

Biden also hit Sanders for his single-payer health care system. While Bernie has claimed the coronavirus threat is an argument for Medicare for All, Biden rightly pointed out that Italy has a single-payer health care system, and Italy isn't exactly doing well in the current crisis.

Joe Biden also made two concrete promises Bernie Sanders would not agree to: Biden said he would name a woman to be his running mate, and he pledged to nominate the first black woman to the Supreme Court. Both candidates promised that their cabinets and administrations would "look like America," as in demographically representing the racial and sexual makeup of America. Both would put identity politics ahead of competency when it comes to staffing their administrations.

Biden is likely to remain the Democratic frontrunner after tonight, which means Bernie effectively lost the debate. Yet the frontrunner also did not knock out his opponent, which means the Democrats remain divided going into the third "Super Tuesday."

President Donald Trump effectively won this debate, especially when it came to Biden's response on drilling for oil. Indeed, the former vice president said he opposed the "ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period." Biden's position against drilling for oil would leave America's energy industry vulnerable to Russia and the Middle East — at the very time when the shale oil revolution has enabled the U.S. to become self-sufficient in oil. Not only does this mean a loss of thousands of jobs, but it also means weakening America's national security. Trump will hammer Biden on this in the general election.

In a very real sense, both Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden lost the debate on Sunday night, even when the moderators didn't ask Biden about his coronavirus advisor — who encouraged the elderly not to take flu shots. Trump looks stronger than ever.

https://pjmedia.com/election/t...biden-fails-to-flop/

-rduckwor

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that really did turn out to be a long, drawn-out nonevent, didn't it? The moderators seemed to hope that if they held out long enough something dramatic would happen (I think that's what the moderator with the unintelligible accent was there for, too), but were afraid to aggressively press for something dramatic, and in the end it was just two pissy old men farting around for a couple of hours.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Did anybody notice that Biden won Florida, has almost certainly won Illinois, and appears poised to win Arizona handily? It ain't over yet, but Bernie appears to be taking an absolute shellacking.

It's interesting to see that the Dem primaries have apparently dropped off of country's and the media's radars completely. One might almost infer that Americans aren't looking to either Biden or Bernie in this our moment of well-televised crisis.

It's even more interesting to note that Trump is getting far more air time on TV than those two. People are looking to him for solutions, and he's out there bustin' ass being Presidential. Wouldn't it be funny if we got to Election Day and a majority of the voters just said "Joe Who?"