SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daytona 500 live report
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daytona 500 live report Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sounds Good, I hope he's ok

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad for what appears to be a promising update.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Yes but newman was blocking so while the second and third cars were bump drafting when they get on a run and get blocked this is what happens.

While Newman moved down to the inside track, I don't know if it was so much blocking as avoiding Hamlin and Blaney who had been jostling on the upper line. Blaney getting forced down where Newman was not a move that driver would be making trying to take the lead. Hamlin forced him down there and Newman got caught not expecting it or the subsequent bump is the way things looked to me.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thank you God. He is in your hands. Please restore his health. Guide the medical staff in his care and comfort his family, loved ones and friends, Amen.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad he's ok. That was one helluva ride!

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That’s much better news than I was expecting to hear.
The fire wasn’t a big deal. The car was struck in the roof right at the drivers area and the impact lifted it about 15 feet in the air and crushed that part of the car.
Now I just hope he can recover from the injuries and can lead a normal life. I believe he has a wife and young children.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but that is certainly good news!!!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Yes but newman was blocking so while the second and third cars were bump drafting when they get on a run and get blocked this is what happens.

While Newman moved down to the inside track, I don't know if it was so much blocking as avoiding Hamlin and Blaney who had been jostling on the upper line. Blaney getting forced down where Newman was not a move that driver would be making trying to take the lead. Hamlin forced him down there and Newman got caught not expecting it or the subsequent bump is the way things looked to me.

It all started when blaney and hamlin were bump drafting and attempted to overtake newman to the right and newman came up and blocked which blaney then got into the rear of newman and then tried going to the left side of newman who was either coming down to block again or was just flat out of control.
Its just racing and what they do. They are trying to pull out a win. No one was to blame or driving dirty.

Mike Joy even called it as blaney trying to go high and couldn't so he went low and hamlin came down.

I happen to like newman and cannot stand hamlin.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

It all started when blaney and hamlin were bump drafting and attempted to overtake newman to the right and newman came up and blocked which blaney then got into the rear of newman and then tried going to the left side of newman who was either coming down to block again or was just flat out of control.
Its just racing and what they do. They are trying to pull out a win. No one was to blame or driving dirty.

Mike Joy even called it as blaney trying to go high and couldn't so he went low and hamlin came down.

I happen to like newman and cannot stand hamlin.

Yeah I can see it that way too. THX Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
FWIW it seemed the driver's side of Newman's car took the hardest hit. It's hard to tell looking at his car on a hauler. Eek

Guarded good news for Newman. I like Blaney, he was really torn up post-race. NASCAR needs guys like him, hope his mind gets through this troubling day.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I believe he has a wife and young children.

I read that they announced on social media on Thursday they were splitting up. Very sad for the children.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
I'm going to assume they had to cut the car to get him out? That's pretty trashed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Newman is awake and talking with family. This in no way indicates the extent of his injuries but is welcome news.

NASCAR Star Ryan Newman Awake and Talking After Daytona 500 Crash

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
yes, they cut the entire top of the car off and climbed in on him. He was stabilized in the chair and then slow moved onto the stretcher.

I picked up Newman his rookie year. Ive met him a dozen times and he always had a smile and a laugh. At fan appreciation day he walked us around Stewart-Haas race shop.

We are all pretty stressed right now, because awake and talking is a helluva long way from 'full recovery'.
I was not a nascar fan when Dale Sr. was lost. But that two hours from his crash to the update from Rousch was the longest.

4751_1149265419905_241976_n by redstone71, on Flickr

86699610_10221480554871362_3251207247123972096_n by redstone71, on Flickr

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was stabilized in the chair and then slow moved onto the stretcher.

How did they stabilize him before turning the car back right side up? I was surprised that was necessary and the first move, but it probably was the only option from the looks of things.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
He was stabilized in the chair and then slow moved onto the stretcher.

How did they stabilize him before turning the car back right side up? I was surprised that was necessary and the first move, but it probably was the only option from the looks of things.

There was no getting to him and they made the decision to flip him over pretty quick. The impact was on the drivers window frame (not the door) since he was upside down. I suspect (warning:speculation) there was no chance to get to him and they had to flip it over. It is about 20 minutes from wreck to extraction.

IF you want to see it, hard to watch. But it shows the full process of them removing him.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not having followed NASCAR for quite awhile I have a technical question.

In the tv broadcast with the car upside down there appeared to be fuel pouring out of the car.

This surprised me. I expected bladders and fuel cells would be well protected.

What does nascar rules require for fuel containment?

Anybody remember the crash when Fireball Roberts crashed and was severely burned.

Posts: 95 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filipows:

In the tv broadcast with the car upside down there appeared to be fuel pouring out of the car.

I'd have to review the DVR but I'm pretty sure that was water from the radiator. It seemed to be coming from the front half of the car. Had it been gas, there'd have been a lot more urgency from the responders.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
First pic from the hospital with his kids. Looks very good considering the way that accident and car looked.

Link

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
He is a blessed man...I’m glad to see this post Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post