SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daytona 500 live report
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daytona 500 live report Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
so what is up with the race?
I do not like stages, what is up with stages on a 500 mile race. But is the race live now or what? Nascar has done a shitty job on what was once such a great race. I did like some of the prerace with Grand Marshall! but other than that they have screwed it up big time.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I wish I could tell you. Over the last 20 years NASCAR has taken someone like I used to be....someone who had season tickets to 3 tracks and went to between 6-10 races a year...and turned me into what I am....someone who no longer watches even passingly on TV

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
so what is up with the race?
I do not like stages, what is up with stages on a 500 mile race. But is the race live now or what? Nascar has done a shitty job on what was once such a great race. I did like some of the prerace with Grand Marshall! but other than that they have screwed it up big time.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Crazy finish, seems pretty nervous for how it ended.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Didn't look or sound good. The mood seemed pretty dark

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hope Ryan Newman is okay. That last lap last stretch crash was very very bad.

https://youtu.be/4yNdkcxF7OU

https://youtu.be/igIzNTTdGbs

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yeah, it's worrisome at the least. It's taking me back to 2001 when Dale wrecked on the last lap. Scary for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
If anyone hears how Ryan is, let us know ASAP. Crazy finish. Not a good way to end a race.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yeah, it's worrisome at the least. It's taking me back to 2001 when Dale wrecked on the last lap. Scary for sure.

Jim

Yeah, I was explaining to Raingirl about Dale, and what happened.

Prayers for Ryan.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
He took some bad hits to the left side door area.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Last report I saw was that he's been taken to a hospital & media has been dismissed from the track.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Praying for RN. Was rooting for him. Hated to see how it ended.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The 2nd hit looked to be the worse of the 2. Hoping for the best.

Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
That fire with leaking fuel under the right rear frame had me worried. Hope is is ok !

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Holy hell that was bad!

I was watching the race and only saw the end result of the crash, I got interrupted changing baby poop diaper.

I really hope he’s ok. The shower of sparks inside the actual car can’t be good.

In case anyone missed it:

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/video/1699097155901

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of encroachment on the driver's side roof from the second impact.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Our kids wanted to watch the end of the race, I assumed it would be over so I turned it on and it was on the caution or two before going green. They saw it happen and I was watching that fire with the gas pouring out and about to turn off the TV when the safety crew came and put it out. Yesterday I was telling the wife about Dale and showing her some video. I hadn't watched NASCAR in years but Trump had us watching yesterday.

Our son at bedtime was telling me how he is going to invent parachutes for racecars so when the flip in the air they land safely.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lots of comments being made about Hamlin being far too aggressive bump drafting in the final turn.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Lots of comments being made about Hamlin being far too aggressive bump drafting in the final turn.

I know nothing about NASCAR. The extent of my knowledge is days of thunder.

It looked to me like the car that wrecked was going to win before that guy rammed him... is that cool?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I know nothing about NASCAR. The extent of my knowledge is days of thunder.

It looked to me like the car that wrecked was going to win before that guy rammed him... is that cool?

Denny Hamlin draft bumped Ryan Blaney moving him behind Newman making contact with his bumper causing the spin into the wall. The draft bump increased Blaney's speed so that he was moving faster than the leader Newman he was pushed to nest behind. Hamlin put him there and in my view caused the accident. It was Hamlin's aggressive tactic to clear the high bank for a run to the finish line.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Yes but newman was blocking so while the second and third cars were bump drafting when they get on a run and get blocked this is what happens.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post