SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying gun for some one else question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying gun for some one else question Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Same deal as if you walked into a gun shop with your buddy (with proper licensing) and was going to buy him a gun because he's a nice guy and you just won some money.

He does the paperwork and you pay the man. Perfectly legal. The FFL doesn't care who ponies up the cash, why should you?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
IANAL, but you may be conflating two distinct things.

1) who you interacted with in offering the gun for sale, getting paid, and designating the FFL to ship to, and

2) who will be picking up the gun and signing the 4479 at the FFL

If the interaction in #1 resulted in you getting paid and the gun getting delivered to the FFL, then both you and the buyer should be happy. There is no Federal regulation that I know of that applies to that transaction, other than that it go through a FFL if it's interstate. (There might be state/local rules if it's in-state, of course.)

If the interaction in #2 satisfies the Federal regulations, as well as any state/local laws, then the FFL and the individual who picks up the gun (and the Feds, and the state/local LEOs) should be happy.

You are not part of interaction #2. Thought exercise - assuming you got paid, if nobody ever picked up the gun, and it stayed at the FFL forever, would that be your concern?

The 'straw purchase' violation applies if someone other than the 4479 signer is to receive the gun - who paid for the gun is not a variable.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Same deal as if you walked into a gun shop with your buddy (with proper licensing) and was going to buy him a gun because he's a nice guy and you just won some money.

He does the paperwork and you pay the man. Perfectly legal. The FFL doesn't care who ponies up the cash, why should you?

Bob

To the contrary, the FFL does care, because if the person, who ponies up the cash is a felon or otherwise ineligible to purchase a gun, it is a straw purchase. They are concerned that when you walk outside, the person, who filled out the forms, hands it off to the person, who paid for it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
I'm with the Monkey on this one. Your Gun, Your Ass, your call. What does your gut say?

I told the buyer, this sale was on hold until it gets cleard up. They have mailed payment, and if it's not cleared up, the payment will b returned.

My focal point is the person contacting and arranging this sale should have told me when they spoke and verified they were buying the pistol, what their intent was.

As Chongo stated, me finding out later, my first thought was buyer is getting some one else to purchase the gun for them.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is the logic here that it isn't illegal for the seller?

The illegal act in a straw purchase of firearms is buying a firearm for another party (other than bona fide gift). The buyer and eventual owner are committing the crime and the purchaser is lieing on the 4473. The crime as defined by the law has nothing to do with the seller.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:

Bob

To the contrary, the FFL does care, because if the person, who ponies up the cash is a felon or otherwise ineligible to purchase a gun, it is a straw purchase. They are concerned that when you walk outside, the person, who filled out the forms, hands it off to the person, who paid for it.

You missed the part where I said ( with proper licensing).

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you have to worry. It's the people on the other end.

I gave my brother $400 in cash to buy my nephew a gun. We're in Ohio. My nephew is on base in NC.
My brother said they walked into the store, his son picked out the gun, and my brother paid for it. His son did the paperwork. No issues. Either would've passed the check.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
quote:
quote:

Bob

To the contrary, the FFL does care, because if the person, who ponies up the cash is a felon or otherwise ineligible to purchase a gun, it is a straw purchase.

Not exactly. An FFL may care (likely would) because it is a sign of a potential straw purchase. A straw purchase is when the person going through the background check is not the person that will own the gun, or to put it another way, has the intention to convey the gun to another promptly after the transfer and then does so). So, you are correct that they may be concerned it’s a straw purchase, but someone else paying doesn’t alone make it a straw purchase.

Edited to say: If I were an FFL facing your fact pattern of a felon paying for someone else’s gun, I sure wouldn’t do the transfer. That’s distinguishable from the OPs situation.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if I missed something but it sounds legal to me.
I have done a couple of similar deals when buying for my wife or my dad. (All legal of course.)
I would arrange with the ffl and pay the money but my wife or dad would fill out the transfer paperwork so the gun was legally in their name.
I guess the difference is I was always up front with what I was intending to do which was basically hand over my credit card.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Is it going to Chicago?

It does sound like using the internet to buy a gun in a straw purchase since the person taking delivery isn't paying for the purchase, why would a valid buyer have to have a stand in sign the 4473.

Then again it could be a gift, could be a family member taking delivery, all kinds of legal reasons this would be valid, same as the buyer paying at the store but the 4473 being completed and done by a valid owner. I think the 'straw purchase' happens when you buy the gun, you complete the 4473 in your name and then give it to someone else which was the intent the whole time.

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Hooo boy, lemme see if I can find the thread we had about this a few months ago where half the respondents were flatly told their examples were straw purchases by several folks who claimed to know. It went about like this one is going so far: “you’re fine!” alternating with “It’s a straw purchase.” For pages.

Here's the previous thread -> https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7820046634/p/1

Here's a relevant post quoted from that thread:

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
It's a straw purchase, and I would not participate in it. Even though the ultimate responsibility is on the FFL who is getting the 4473 and the wife filling it out, I wouldn't want any part of it.

Here's the deal. Question 11.a. on the 4473 reads in part:

"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person."

If husband pays for it, and wife fills out the 4473, she cannot answer "yes" to this question. She is not the actual buyer and she is acquiring it on behalf of her husband, who was the purchaser. This is the case even if his intent is to gift it to her. It may be his intent to gift it to her, but this is not how to do it. If he wants to buy a gun to give to his wife, he can buy it, fill out the 4473, take possession of it, and when he gets home he says "here you go honey, happy anniversary".

As stupid as it seems, the Supreme Court has ruled that even if both parties can legally possess a firearm it can still be a straw purchase.

He may be ineligible to buy a gun, so he's doing it on gunbroker and asking that it be sent to his wife. Or it may be completely innocent, and he wants to pay for it and thinks she needs to fill out the 4473. But clearly, she does not need to fill out the 4473. There is a clear exception for buying a gift. Tell him to keep it all legal it has to ship to him since he bought it, and he needs to fill out th 4473. He can then wrap it up, or not, and give it as a gift to his wife.

'honestlou' IS correct here....In the eyes of the law this IS a 'Straw Purchase'. I witnessed a similar transaction nixed at my LGS, and while it didn't make sense to me at the time, a very careful reread of the referenced question on the 4473, convinced me the LGS was correct.

At my LGS a gentleman and lady were shopping together for a handgun. She said, 'I'll Take It' and SHE filled out the 4473. After the NICS check comes back approved a few minutes later, they head over to the cash register and he takes out his wallet to pay for the gun. LGS says NO, that would be a 'Straw Purchase', indicates he will not accept the payment and ultimately nixes the deal as she couldn't pay. The ONLY difference in the OP's deal is that the payment/sale would be occurring separately from the transfer. As far as the law is concerned, there is NO difference....Straw Purchase!

That said, 'honestlou' made some VERY Good Points throughout the previous thread, and summarized the issue well in his post on p5....The whole thread is worth the read!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
IANAL, but I would walk. Even if legal, it may not be wise. It could be claimed you knew, or should have known, that this was a strawman purchase.

Going through an FFL is not a complete guarantee.

Ask Bruce Abramski. Different song, but the melody is the same.

No, does not matter in the least. It becomes the responsibility of the transferring ffl to ensure compliance and a lawful transfer of the firearm to the end user, at that point, if it is a lawful, recorded sale, who cares, much ado about nothing...

A good argument. Maybe a winning argument. Do you want to take a chance that you'll have to pay a lawyer to argue it for you in court, for a one off transaction.

If there is even a whiff of something amiss, I would walk to the exit.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I had a couple of pistols in another forum for sale.

Some one agreed to purchase one of them. They had their transfer FFL dealer send me a copy of their FFL, and in the course of reading the electronic FFL and attached correspondence, found out they are just arranging the purchase for another person.

They told the dealer the sale would be in the other persons name, my bitch is they were not upfront in what they were doing during this sale.

The name they supplied me and the name they gave to the FFL dealer is different, the FFL is legit.

I emailed them , telling them the sale was on hold until this gets cleared up.

This has been discussed before in this forum, but I had forgotten the legality of the issue.

Could some one give me some advice? It would be appreciated.
It all depends on who's name is on the check, and at this point I don't have a clue which is correct.
The sales destination is SC.

This is why I stopped selling guns face to face. A guy in ct bought a bolt action rifle from me. I met him. During the convo, it got a bit weird. This was just after sandy hook. I made him call it in and do the transfer via the sate police. After that went through he told me it was a giving it to a freind. I was like WTF. I called state police back. They said, meh, he went through.

The whole guy, conversation, state police call, after payment conversation made my skin crawl. I have horse traded guns up into the 200-300 times range over the last 25 years. Not once before this have i had any heebeejeebees. This one though... never again.

I have sold a couple of guns here on sig forum since. 2, total. Everything else is taken down to the local shop and put on consignment.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if it is one thing I have learned in nearly a quarter million days on this erf

sigmonkey, your like 684 years old...
care to share your secret of longevity?

As for the topic here -- I have refused 2 sales over the years cause I was deceived (lied to...)by the purchaser much the same as you are being --
After the 'I'll buy it' came the 'Oh, I meant to say...' and I have no interest in creating potential future problems with the government.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've heard it from several ffl's that if someone wanted to buy everyone a pistol who walked through the door of a gun store he legally could as long as each person filled out the form themselves.
Another person paying doesn't make anything illegal as long as the person who filled out the form takes possession.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I had a couple of pistols in another forum for sale.

Some one agreed to purchase one of them. They had their transfer FFL dealer send me a copy of their FFL, and in the course of reading the electronic FFL and attached correspondence, found out they are just arranging the purchase for another person.

They told the dealer the sale would be in the other persons name, my bitch is they were not upfront in what they were doing during this sale.

The name they supplied me and the name they gave to the FFL dealer is different, the FFL is legit.

I emailed them , telling them the sale was on hold until this gets cleared up.

This has been discussed before in this forum, but I had forgotten the legality of the issue.

Could some one give me some advice? It would be appreciated.
It all depends on who's name is on the check, and at this point I don't have a clue which is correct.
The sales destination is SC.

As long as it is going through an FFL, and that FFL is satisfied that the person doing the 4473 is the actual purchaser, then there is no problem.

Frankly, when I sell a gun, I go with the law and my gut. If something seems fishy, it's fishy and I don't sell to that person.

Go with your instinct, if it feels weird, that is enough to not risk your involvement.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bob

You missed the part where I said ( with proper licensing).

Bob

Proper Licensing?? It's an Interstate Transfer of a Handgun. The only 'licensing' that would make any difference (even in your local gun shop scenario) would be if your 'buddy' was an FFL. We're talking about compliance with Federal Firearms Law....There is no other 'licensing' that applies here!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From the ATF Guidelines, Page 165

15. STRAW PURCHASES

Questions have arisen concerning the lawfulness of firearms purchases from
licensees by persons who use a "straw purchaser" (another person) to acquire
the firearms. Specifically, the actual buyer uses the straw purchaser to execute
the Form 4473 purporting to show that the straw purchaser is the actual
purchaser of the firearm.

In some instances, a straw purchaser is used because the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm. That is to say, the actual purchaser is a felon or is within one of the other prohibited categories of persons who may not lawfully acquire firearms or is a resident of a State other than that in which the licensee's business premises is located.

Because of his or her disability, the person uses a straw purchaser who is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm from the licensee. In other instances, neither the straw purchaser nor the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm.

In both instances, the straw purchaser violates Federal law by making false statements on Form 4473 to the licensee with respect to the identity of
the actual purchaser of the firearm, as well as the actual purchaser's residence
address and date of birth. The actual purchaser who utilized the straw purchaser
to acquire a firearm has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the
making of the false statements.

The licensee selling the firearm under these circumstances also violates Federal law
if the licensee is aware of the false statements on the form. It is immaterial
that the actual purchaser and the straw purchaser are residents of the State in
which the licensee's business premises is located, are not prohibited from receiving
or possessing firearms, and could have lawfully purchased firearms
from the licensee.

An example of an illegal straw purchase is as follows:

Mr. Smith asks Mr.Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr.Smith.
Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm.

If Mr. Jones fills out Form 4473, he violates the law by falsely stating that he is the actual buyer of the firearm.

Mr. Smith also violates the law because he has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of false statements on the form.

Where a person purchases a firearm with the intent of making a gift of the
firearm to another person, the person making the purchase is indeed the true
purchaser. There is no straw purchaser in these instances.

In the above example, if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Smith as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could lawfully have completed Form 4473.

The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser
of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records.

Link to ATF on Straw Purchases

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If the person actually receiving the gun is the person the FFL transfers it to, then everything is fine.

But X cannot be the transferee and then turn around and hand it to Y. I think, though, that is the FFL's worry and not yours. The FFL is, as I understand it, the one who has to not know that the transferee is buying the gun for someone else. Even the FFL doesn't have to do an independent investigation to make sure it isn't a straw purchase.

There is an exception for gifts. I can buy a gun and give it to my son for Christmas. It better be a real gift and not a sham. I can't buy a gun and give it to a guy I just met in the parking lot. That would be a straw purchase.

That all said, if you think this is a straw purchase, I would put on the brakes. But if it is just that X saw your ad, and passed that on to Y, who is going to be the buyer, I think you are okay.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Is the logic here that it isn't illegal for the seller?

The illegal act in a straw purchase of firearms is buying a firearm for another party (other than bona fide gift). The buyer and eventual owner are committing the crime and the purchaser is lieing on the 4473. The crime as defined by the law has nothing to do with the seller.
This.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post