SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying gun for some one else question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying gun for some one else question Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I had a couple of pistols in another forum for sale.

Some one agreed to purchase one of them. They had their transfer FFL dealer send me a copy of their FFL, and in the course of reading the electronic FFL and attached correspondence, found out they are just arranging the purchase for another person.

They told the dealer the sale would be in the other persons name, my bitch is they were not upfront in what they were doing during this sale.

The name they supplied me and the name they gave to the FFL dealer is different, the FFL is legit.

I emailed them , telling them the sale was on hold until this gets cleared up.

This has been discussed before in this forum, but I had forgotten the legality of the issue.

Could some one give me some advice? It would be appreciated.
It all depends on who's name is on the check, and at this point I don't have a clue which is correct.
The sales destination is SC.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
If they simply found a gun somebody they know was looking for, it should be good to go. If the guy that pays for it is the same guy that it transfers to, it is legal. Share your concerns with the FFL to watch for a possible straw deal.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you transferred it through the FFL

you are good to go

no need to try to earn a junior g-man badge.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Potential Straw man purchase.

I believe these are like how Darrel Royal described the forward pass. “Only three things can happen, and two of them are bad.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
you transferred it through the FFL

you are good to go

no need to try to earn a junior g-man badge.

---------------------------------------

Nice try, try senior g-man badge, sonny.
Smile
No, the sale has not happened, I am still in possession of firearm.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It all depends on who's name is on the check

Check or USPS Money Order?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
It all depends on who's name is on the check

Check or USPS Money Order?

Usps money order

I guess maybe I am making an issue out of a non issue, but as stated, if they had told me this upfront, It wouldn't have Irked me now.

美しい犬

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
If they simply found a gun somebody they know was looking for, it should be good to go. If the guy that pays for it is the same guy that it transfers to, it is legal. Share your concerns with the FFL to watch for a possible straw deal.

I did email him with my concerns.

美しい犬

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am not the authority here. My take is that if the guy who comes into the ffl and fills out the 4473 and the ffl follows proper protocol the guy who does the paperwork and is approved gets the firearm. All is good. What am I missing?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:

I did email him with my concerns.

I agree with TGS. You let the FFL know. Unless you want to cancel the sale, you’ve done all you can do. There are a number of innocent reasons for the situation, as TGS said. Another is that maybe he’s buying the transferee a gift. If I bought a family member a gun, that’s likely how it’d happen (I pay and have the FFL transfer to go the recipient).

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
IANAL, but I would walk. Even if legal, it may not be wise. It could be claimed you knew, or should have known, that this was a strawman purchase.

Going through an FFL is not a complete guarantee.

Ask Bruce Abramski. Different song, but the melody is the same.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have, admittedly, skimmed.

OTOH, I've got plenty of shit and giggles in my daily life that gives me concern. I'd not sign up for any more that had even an inkling of concern that led me to post here, or on God.com, for advice. The folks here are crazy. Who knows about that other site.

YMMV. And GL!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You are "selling" it to the FFL. The end.

Here in NY we run into similar hold ups and hang ups all the time with people in inventing reasons not to send things here. If it's legal for your 01 FFL to have it, it's legal for my 01 FFL to have it. The end. Past that is not your concern.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hooo boy, lemme see if I can find the thread we had about this a few months ago where half the respondents were flatly told their examples were straw purchases by several folks who claimed to know. It went about like this one is going so far: “you’re fine!” alternating with “It’s a straw purchase.” For pages.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Hooo boy, lemme see if I can find the thread we had about this a few months ago where half the respondents were flatly told their examples were straw purchases by several folks who claimed to know. It went about like this one is going so far: “you’re fine!” alternating with “It’s a straw purchase.” For pages.

Yes, I remember reading it, but couldn't find it.
It was pages as you said.

What was the final consensus?

美しい犬

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying that it's a straw purchase. I'm saying why take the chance?

If you end up being even questioned about it by law enforcement, it would be wise to at least consult a real lawyer. How much is that lawyer going to cost? More than you make on this sale, I promise you.

I avoid sticking my neck into nooses where someone else holds the rope.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I am party to the process, then my ass is in the "party", and my ass ain't gonna be in nobody else's party.

I don't care what anyone thinks, cuz in the end, nobody is gonna offer up their ass when the shit goes south.

It's just like that.

And if it is one thing I have learned in nearly a quarter million days on this erf, is smoke goes up and shit goes south.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
A few years ago a woman did a straight-up straw purchase for her felon boyfriend.

Who then shot a cop with the gun.

She got probation.

Not really on point, but it pisses me off that we have to worry about the nuances of the law, but when someone clearly violates it with a sickening result, they barely get a slap on the wrist.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
How does an employer gift a retirement gun to an employee. The employer is just providing the funds and signing no papers.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with the Monkey on this one. Your Gun, Your Ass, your call. What does your gut say?

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post