SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a new Coffee Burr Grinder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new Coffee Burr Grinder Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
Think my Capresso Infinity 565 Burr Grinder gave up its ghost today. After giving it a good cleaning I had trouble installing the bean bin. It sure what happened but now the motor isn’t running.

I thought it had a safety feature where the grinder won’t operate when the bin is off. The bin seems to be easier to set but I don’t hear anything like a loose or broken part inside the housing.

Anyway, maybe it’s time for a new burr grinder. I can still get the Capresso 565 but wondering what is the new go to burr grinder on the market.

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a breville for years. Easy to use and bullet proof. Endless options with it. Was kinda pricey though but worth it to me. I’ll plug black rifle coffee also. I love their beans.

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Capresso's are great.
Have had ours for years and have had the knobs break a couple of times but customer service is great and got new knobs quickly at minimal cost.
Otherwise functionally they do a very good job.
Not sure what else would do any better?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Here is the one I have, been happy with it for almost two years now

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c...50992?skuId=66454069

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've had this one for a few years and use it almost every day. It has been very good, consistent and easy to dial into the grind I want.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shop...ffee_makers/cbm-18n/

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are considered to be the top tier consumer coffee grinders across the entire coffee enthusiast community. I bought the more economical Encore grinder 3 years ago when I got my first good coffee maker (after one year I moved onto a Technivorm Moccamaster and still using it) and it’s holding up great.

Just about every part in the thing can be replaced if it gets worn out. The Virtuoso is the next level up but I’ve found that the Encore is perfectly fine for me. Add these to your potential list...I’m quite certain that if you get either of them you’ll be happy.

https://baratza.com/choosing-your-grinder/

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I second the Baratza Virtuoso.
Family gifted it to me two holidays ago--after years on a Krups blade grinder a world of difference - of course they gifted with MY money!!

The Virtuoso is built more robust than the Encore - so read the reviews before you decide.

And my old drip coffee maker fried back in November - took advantage of the sales on a Moccamaster and I'm all set.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
I second the Baratza Virtuoso.
Family gifted it to me two holidays ago--after years on a Krups blade grinder a world of difference - of course they gifted with MY money!!

The Virtuoso is built more robust than the Encore - so read the reviews before you decide.

And my old drip coffee maker fried back in November - took advantage of the sales on a Moccamaster and I'm all set.

Yep Virtuoso and a Technivorm Mochamaster makes for a fine coffee setup - Both on the recommendation of the forum.

Hard to drink coffee anywhere but home anymore.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW if you have a Baratza Encore you can upgrade it by purchasing and installing the Burr Assembly for the Virtuoso.

I've never been really happy with my Encore and this is what Baratza said.

The cost to do so is quite reasonable and the instructions are clear and relatively simple to perform.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I've had this one for a few years and use it almost every day. It has been very good, consistent and easy to dial into the grind I want.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shop...ffee_makers/cbm-18n/

I have this same grinder and have loved it. Just last week it seems the motor seized up. I will probably buy another again instead of a different brand, but I am watching this thread.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Krups GX550. So far it's been pretty solid. The coarsest setting gets me grounds that aren't fine enough to get past the screen in my French press.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After two Baratza's failed, bought a Mazzer Mini with a short hopper. Removed the espresso bracket and tamper, dose into a glass cup for Drip, French Press and Vac Press. Wish I had bought the Mazzer from the get go. The Baratza's are toys compared to the 22lb Mazzer!

https://www.mazzer.com/en/grinder-dosers/mini/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Think my Capresso Infinity 565 Burr Grinder gave up its ghost today. After giving it a good cleaning I had trouble installing the bean bin. It sure what happened but now the motor isn’t running.

I thought it had a safety feature where the grinder won’t operate when the bin is off. The bin seems to be easier to set but I don’t hear anything like a loose or broken part inside the housing.

Anyway, maybe it’s time for a new burr grinder. I can still get the Capresso 565 but wondering what is the new go to burr grinder on the market.

Thanks.

I just got that same grinder as a Christmas gift....huge upgrade from my hand crank one!

So far I love it but wish it was a little more coarse on the coarse setting for French Press. I thought about swapping it out for the Encore but honestly, by the time I finish adding cream and sugar to my coffee I am not sure it would really matter.

I do know that after watgnnig reviews on You Tube the Infinity and Encore seem yo both be very well liked among the coffee community.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Rancilio Rocky. It gets very good reviews. The only thing I don't like is having to hold the grind button down instead of a constant on. I think they do it to prevent overheating the motor? The thing is built like a tank and heavy as heck.

Replacement parts are available, but when I take it apart to clean it I can't see it wearing out. The grinders are a nice solid chunk of brass.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
BTW if you have a Baratza Encore you can upgrade it by purchasing and installing the Burr Assembly for the Virtuoso.

I've never been really happy with my Encore and this is what Baratza said.

The cost to do so is quite reasonable and the instructions are clear and relatively simple to perform.

https://baratza.com/encore-upgrade-gb2-0/

I have had a couple different models through the years. I got the Encore model a couple of years ago. I thought it was pricey at the time. It works very well. It feels heavy duty. One of the reasons I like it is has a parts list. If it had issue it’s nice to know it may be fixed vs throw away. I would recommend it.

I looked up the upgrade on the burrs. That looks interesting.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. After reading up in the grinders, I decided to stay with the Capresso. I liked the OXO but thought it was a touch light for grinding. Besides, I’m not making Turkish coffee so don’t need an ultra fine grind.

Thanks

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I went with the Capresso based on the Sig forum. It does need to be cleaned on a regular basis. Remove the hopper- plastic ring easily pulls up and out. Plastic toothbrush, dental pick- clean in less than 5 minutes.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Kinu M47 Classic manual coffee grinder is the go-to for serious one-cup-at-a-time folks. I troll a Goodwill in an affluent area, waiting for mine.

The hopper capacity runs 40-60 g for this line; I brew 28 grams pre-ground TJ Dark to 425ml water, so you could grind two pour-over cups at a time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post