SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember the car driver in Texas that deliberately swerved into a motorcyclist on the road?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember the car driver in Texas that deliberately swerved into a motorcyclist on the road? Login/Join 
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted
He deliberately swerved into a motorcyclist on the road. Now he’s going to jail.
Article Link

BY TOM UHLER
uhler@star-telegram.com

GRANBURY, TEXAS
A man who intentionally swerved into a couple on a motorcyclists in Texas, causing them to crash and injure themselves in 2015, was sentenced to 15 years in prison Thursday, his attorney confirmed.

William Sam Crum, 69, was convicted of two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in a jury trial in the 355th District Court in Hood County, Texas.

Crum had been in jail since his arrest on Oct. 19, 2015, said his attorney, Lukas Lawrence.

He was accused of purposely swerving into a Kawasaki motorcycle on Tin Top Highway the previous Saturday, causing motorcyclist Eric Sanders, 37, to crash.

A video of the incident taken by a fellow motorcyclist with a camera attached to his helmet went viral soon after its release, attracting millions of views.

It shows the motorcycle from behind speeding up to pass Crum’s Mercury on the two-lane road and Crum suddenly swerving across the painted dividing lines and clipping the bike, causing it and the bikers to fall and slide along the pavement.

On the video, Sanders is seen getting up almost immediately and limping toward the road with what turned out to be minor injuries. His passenger, Debra Simpson, 38, lies motionless on her back on the side of the road with a broken arm and scrapes and bruises that landed her in the intensive care unit of Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth.

“I don’t care,” Crum says in the video when confronted after the crash.

In a jailhouse interview the day after his arrest, Crum showed his leg where he claimed that a spider had bitten him, causing him to momentarily lose control of his vehicle before the wreck. And he said that if Sanders hadn’t been “breaking the law” by trying to pass in a no-pass zone the crash would never have happened.

His jury trial on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury lasted two days, his attorney said.

Crum, no stranger to legal trouble, will remain in the Hood County jail until he is transferred to a unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I remember that video and his "I don't care" statement. I guess he does care now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crum is going to have some hard jail time ahead of him, when words gets out what he did. Prisons house some hard core Bikers.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
If he serves his full term, he will be 84 when he gets out. He will have 15 years to consider if his moment of anger was worth the price he will pay.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
If he serves his full term, he will be 84 when he gets out. He will have 15 years to consider if his moment of anger was worth the price he will pay.

And, think about what triggered his anger. What the hell did it matter if a biker passed him in a no passing zone? Was it jealousy? What an idiot.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Poor decision making skills.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hell of a way to spend your "golden years."

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I hope he gets raped every day.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Well I'll only be 82!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I remember this now after watching the video again.

I've had people swerve at me before. Some people just had sportbikes and hate even more getting passed by them. In their head we shouldn't be on the road. I even had a semi try to take me out on one occasion, multiple attempts swerving his whole rig at me to prevent me from passing him. Road construction had caused 4 lanes into two. I intended to pass him, get off on the next exit and take a back way. It took a few attempts and some trickery to get by him, and my first few attempts failed. I remember seeing his right front wheel coming at me hard as I finally got by. I went left, he swerved left, then I flicked it right and punched it in first gear. Narrowly got by, exited, and was home 30 minutes later. No I wouldn't do it again, I was young. But it taught me some will attempt vehicular manslaughter if you try to get by them. Trick is to downshift so you are sitting at the upper end of the tach, then wfo. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:

You must be a biker...harsh.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Some bikers do some strange stuff while riding, however I think they are in the minority.

Having said that, anyone who would intentionally drive into a biker, or another car, has some serious anger management problems.

I remember the incident, and thought at the time that the asshole needs to do some serious time.

I rode for a couple years back in the first phony oil crises. Enjoyed it. Would probably be riding now except it would most likely involve a divorce.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:

The guy tried to murder two people. Yeah, he deserves harsh.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I remembered the video and read the article that he was sentenced. article I read linked to some of his previous legal run ins and it seems this wasn't the first time he has tried to run people down.

History of rage and court ordered anger management classes. Glad to see the judge took it seriously and hammered his ass instead of going soft due to his age.

Put me in the continued frequent ass hammering while in prison camp...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
At 70 years old already I'm not so sure he'll even get prison sex.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Congrats- enjoy dying in prison, idiot.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I remembered the video and read the article that he was sentenced. article I read linked to some of his previous legal run ins and it seems this wasn't the first time he has tried to run people down.

History of rage and court ordered anger management classes. Glad to see the judge took it seriously and hammered his ass instead of going soft due to his age.

Put me in the continued frequent ass hammering while in prison camp...

My thoughts exactly. Seems to me being an asshole for all those years finally caught up to him. Its a karma thing.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:

"I don't care."

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post