SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Negotiating insurance claim, not at fault. Tips and suggestions welcome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negotiating insurance claim, not at fault. Tips and suggestions welcome Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
I wasn't happy that the adjuster/Geico won't specify OEM parts for the repair, however my service advisor said she is sure she can get Toyota to price match any aftermarket parts and do it all OEM.

My experience where I was hit on the freeway by a hit-and-run driver in the wife's car (she also has the Gecko), a 2012 Honda Accord, was nearly the opposite from the adjuster who was likewise very good and empathetic. He indicated her car was totaled because of the cost of replacing the items which would only be available from Honda.

In your case, from a legal perspective, she may have been hesitant to word anything you may possibly interpret as a promise. The way our adjuster phrased it was "ask yourself this, do you know of any company which sources these parts as cosmetically perfect and structurally sound as those Honda provides?"

I am reasonably confident your adjuster will not be able to find a source other than Toyota. Besides - if the parts are the same or better quality than the damaged parts, will the source of said part really matter? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
How many miles are on the truck?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Follow up........

There is much truth in hiring a licensed certified inspector to give you a report that is specific to diminished value. I hired a guy that the insurance industry uses for the same reasons as myself. Got his contact info from my service advisor at Toyota dealer, she is super awesome. Geico has started the process for me on the diminished value claim. Both he and Geico will furnish a report once the vehicle is repaired. At that time Gieco should make me an offer. His expectation is that it will be a good offer based on the truck being so new and Gieco insuring both parties. It's apparently in their best interest not to pursue a case where they would be fighting with themselves.

Adjuster did her thing and initial estimate was $8800 to repair. After a short discussion about her specification of some non-OEM parts we parted ways and I got to deal directly with my awesome service advisor at Toyota collision repair. Not only did she get me the contact info for the guy mentioned about, she was able to get Toyota to price match all the non-OEM the dipwad adjuster specified. She also got the adjuster back out in one day to do the supplemental after tear down and it should only be about another 10 days for the repair to be completed. Needless to say, she is on my christmas list!

We are selling the old truck on the private party market and buying a new truck. So far things seem to be working in our favor.

I'll update on how the diminished value settlement works out one I have that accomplished.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
Follow up........

There is much truth in hiring a licensed certified inspector to give you a report that is specific to diminished value. I hired a guy that the insurance industry uses for the same reasons as myself. Got his contact info from my service advisor at Toyota dealer, she is super awesome. Geico has started the process for me on the diminished value claim. Both he and Geico will furnish a report once the vehicle is repaired. At that time Gieco should make me an offer. His expectation is that it will be a good offer based on the truck being so new and Gieco insuring both parties. It's apparently in their best interest not to pursue a case where they would be fighting with themselves.

Adjuster did her thing and initial estimate was $8800 to repair. After a short discussion about her specification of some non-OEM parts we parted ways and I got to deal directly with my awesome service advisor at Toyota collision repair. Not only did she get me the contact info for the guy mentioned about, she was able to get Toyota to price match all the non-OEM the dipwad adjuster specified. She also got the adjuster back out in one day to do the supplemental after tear down and it should only be about another 10 days for the repair to be completed. Needless to say, she is on my christmas list!

We are selling the old truck on the private party market and buying a new truck. So far things seem to be working in our favor.

I'll update on how the diminished value settlement works out one I have that accomplished.

Glad to hear no injuries and the economics are working out. Enjoy the new truck!

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilikefirearms:

Glad to hear no injuries and the economics are working out. Enjoy the new truck!

Yes, no injuries is always good. Thank you. I'll post a follow up thread about my truck buying experience. It was good.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post