SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    need user comments on backpacker style water filter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need user comments on backpacker style water filter Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
there's so many kinds/prices;

I like the idea of the 'life straw' as a small unit. Looking for '3 day bag' style back up.

Been reading for hours & grow weary of marketing overhype.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the Sawyer one several times. It worked quite well. Very compact and light weight.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life straw

All you need

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I keep one of these in my get-home bag.

Grayl

A little on the spendy side, but they work great.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
For just one person the Sawyer squeeze filters work well. If you're out for three days then carry an extra squeeze bag and a syringe (to backflush), just in case.

For more than one person (and out for several days), then something with more capacity is required, I use the 2 liter version. You can just fill the dirty water bag and filter into the clean water bag on the move, if you have to.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life Straw

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
sawyer squeeze or mini. Lightweight and easy to use.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For emergencies - Life Straw is good.

For legit backpacking use - a PUR/Katadin or MSR will work great.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Geigerrig hydration bladder and inline filter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...c=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've had great experience with a platypus. Clean and dirty water bags. I think around a 3 liter. We take it hunting for 7 days, 3 - 5 people.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Just remember back to high school, viruses are TINY. And none of these filters can combat viruses, just larger organisms. If you are worried about viruses, than some way to chemically sterilize the water after filtering is appropriate.

https://thesummitregister.com/...ent-101-viruses-3-2/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sawyer squeeze, you can put it in line with a camble back type, or screw it onto any soda type bottle, or suck right out of a creek

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Next on my list is the MSR Guardian. It isn't cheap, but I prefer to filter out viruses, too.

http://www.guardianpurifier.com/

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Generally, most backpackers in North America don't have to worry about viruses much in our outdoor water sources.
However, if you are specifically concerned about them, Sawyer also makes .02 micron filters that will filter out viruses.

Sawyer also makes portable filters that remove Heavy Metals, Viruses, Bacteria, Protozoa, Chemicals and Pesticides.

I've also used the Platypus bag system on a trip. While the filtered water was fine, it was slightly discolored (from tanins in the water?).

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
And none of these filters can combat viruses, just larger organisms.

The Grayl does. Gets pretty much everything.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
This is the latest iteration of the design pioneered by the MSR MIOX purifier. It is small, durable, and will make what the manufacturer calls "a mixed oxidant disinfectant" of chlorine and other oxidants on demand using electricity, salt, and water. It has an integrated li-ion battery and can charge via the wall or with the integrated solar cell.

This device is useful beyond water purification. Having the ability to make small amounts of chlorine on demand would be helpful to sanitize things in the field, or in emergencies.

https://www.amazon.com/Potable...lar+powered+handheld

I recommend this in addition to the suggestions made above.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
MSR is a great option. It's a bit bulkier but better for my needs. I've been wanting to try one of the UV purifiers. It doesn't get rid of impurities but kills the critters.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have multiple life straws for camping and bug out bags. They are GTG.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigproshooter
posted Hide Post
Lifestraws are okay, the downside is you can't really fill a container with them.

I had a Kataydn Hiker Pro which I liked quite a bit but lost it somewhere. It's a good option for filling larger containers pretty quickly but it is kinda bulky.

My favorite for filling smaller containers on the trail is the MSR Trailshot. It's lightweight and compact enough to fit in your pocket and can fill up a water bottle in about a minute or two.

Posts: 314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
That MSR Guardian is bad ass.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post