SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dozens of guns allegedly stolen in Mississippi cargo theft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dozens of guns allegedly stolen in Mississippi cargo theft Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
http://www.overdriveonline.com...711e69d0fd4011f9d95e

Dozens of guns allegedly stolen in Mississippi cargo theft

Police in Mississippi are investigating an alleged cargo theft of approximately 67 firearms and an undetermined amount of ammunition.

According to a press release from the Olive Branch, Miss., Police Department, a truck arrived at Academy Sports in Olive Branch at approximately 10 p.m. Sunday, May 7 for a Monday morning delivery.

Police say at approximately 6 a.m. Monday, May 8, when the truck driver was preparing to unload, Academy employees noticed the seal on the trailer had been cut and the trailer had allegedly been broken into.

The release says all but six of the guns missing from the shipment were handguns.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In such situations, is it prudent to publish make, model and serial numbers of the stolen firearms?

Seems to me that it would serve to help to some degree, the interception and or recovery of some of them.

Or is it unlikely that it would make any difference?

Could this be a bad thing for yet identified reasons?

And why would someone park a truck shipment of firearms at a closed firearms business unattended and overnight?

Say, let's park a truck full of cash outside the bank overnight...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah those plastic serialized seals are a real deterrent Roll Eyes

How about requiring heavy duty padlocks on the trailer doors,there is already room to put them beside the plastic seal.

The driver could have been asleep in the sleeper when the theft occurred, and never heard the door eased open on the trailer.

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some truck security camera systems have 7 cameras. If all firearm delivery trucks had them, it would help catch a few thieves, and keep guns from thugs.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And why would someone park a truck shipment of firearms at a closed firearms business unattended and overnight?

I would be willing to bet that this is not the full story. I cannot believe that there is not surveillance video coverage of this event somewhere. I am guessing this was an inside job. Olive Branch is not the south side of Chicago where gangs stole a bunch of firearms from parked train cars.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Olive Branch is not the south side of Chicago where gangs stole a bunch of firearms from parked train cars.

Maybe not Chicago, but for all practical purposes, Olive Branch is the south side of Memphis Razz

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olive Branch hotels are close to Memphis, so guests can enjoy all the excitement of the city, but with the peace, quiet and more affordable prices of a non-downtown property. Find the best accommodations and lodgings at one of our hotels in Olive Branch, MS below.

Chamber of Commerce says it is quiet, I guess some of the "excitement of the city is coming to Olive Branch."

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In researching this further, it seems as if this has happened at another Academy in the recent past. Most Academy stores have stockers in the store all night long. In the past the workers have been pretty much locked in the store for security reasons. This was clearly well planned and executed with some inside help.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Truck drivers can only drive so many hours straight then need to rest for so many hours, then can drive for so many hours before resting so many hours. He was probably driving from somewhere far away and got there too late to unload so slept in the truck to catch up on his sleeping hours so once unloaded the next morning he could drive a full 10 hours or whatever the legal mandate is.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Not a truck load.

Olive Branch: This Is NOT GOOD -- At All!

67 guns stolen from delivery truck behind Academy Sports store Too close to me ... hopefully, the thieves will be caught and firearms/ammo recovered ASAP.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Truck drivers can only drive so many hours straight then need to rest for so many hours, then can drive for so many hours before resting so many hours. He was probably driving from somewhere far away and got there too late to unload so slept in the truck to catch up on his sleeping hours so once unloaded the next morning he could drive a full 10 hours or whatever the legal mandate is.

Then you (or the shipper company) makes arrangement for the delivery.

I could give two shits about a load of diamonds or furs, or Hot Krispie Kremes being boosted, but firearms have a different potential.

Responsibility is to a great degree on the people in the "supply chain".

The military makes one very cognasant on day zero about custodial responsibility and repurcussions for lack of due dilligence.

Yeah. These incidents piss me off.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
This Academy is in a very nice area on a busy main road. Not at all what you'd equate to South Memphis.

Just shopped in there a couple weeks ago. NO WAY they didn't see something on surveillance, this is a less-than-a-year-old store. Had to be someone getting tipped off.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
MississippiGal is having a sale........

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
Ha Ha. None here .

Scary stuff there.
Hope theu catch them ... REALLY SOON!
Donna

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest update is that there is video of the event and there is more than one person involved. {Yeah that is pretty obvious}. What is interesting to me is that an Academy in Texas had a similar incident several years ago.

Another story follows of inside attempt at Academy in Georgia:

Here’s what happened, according to their plea agreements:

A night supervisor at the Academy warehouse spotted Allen, Dinkins and Milner standing beside a rack of kayaks on Aug. 15, 2013, far from their assigned work area.

The men, who worked in the dock area, were supposed to be on break, also in a place far from where they were found.

The supervisor saw Milner kneeling down by the kayaks and digging something out. He also saw Dinkins stuffing something into his pants.

After moving closer, the supervisor saw Milner holding the barrel of an assault weapon.

The supervisor asked what the men were doing, and Dinkins began to unload his pants. Rifle parts were found on Milner and Dinkins.

THE SUPERVISOR ASKED WHAT THE MEN WERE DOING, AND DINKINS BEGAN TO UNLOAD HIS PANTS. ACCORDING TO PLEA AGREEMENTS

An internal Academy investigation later revealed another rifle underneath a shelf, appearing to have been discarded.

The rifles were shipped to the warehouse in one piece, stored in a hard plastic gun case inside a cardboard box.

Six crushed gun cases were found in the trash compactor near where the men were spotted.

Allen later told authorities he took a rifle to his sister’s apartment in Macon and hid it underneath a mattress. The gun wasn’t there when police went to find it.

He later admitted he had found two Rossi revolvers in a box on the receiving dock after they were delivered Aug. 14, 2013, and that he and Milner hid the guns in their clothes and walked out of the warehouse after their shift ended.

On another occasion, Allen said he found a shipment of five Sig 9mm pistols on a pallet that should have been locked in the gun cage. After he, Miller and Dinkins took the guns out of their boxes, Allen took the cases and crushed them in the trash compactor and walked out with the guns hidden in the waistband of his clothes when he left for the day.

On the day before they were caught, Allen and Milner broke down six rifles into two pieces each. They used instructions they saw on YouTube. The men hid a rifle in their pants and walked out of the warehouse at the end of their shift.

Dinkins said he put the guns in the boats where they were later found and that he put the cases in the trash compactor.

The men were in the process of hiding the remaining guns in their clothes when they were caught Aug. 15, 2013.

Dinkins said he put the rifle he’d stolen, and a pistol he claimed he found in Macon, into a trash bin behind his Warner Robins apartment complex. Warner Robins police found a rifle in the trash bin, a Sig Sauer pistol and several ammunition magazines. Records show both guns were shipped to the Academy distribution center in July and August 2013, but were never received by the firearms cage.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
In such situations, is it prudent to publish make, model and serial numbers of the stolen firearms?

Seems to me that it would serve to help to some degree, the interception and or recovery of some of them.

Or is it unlikely that it would make any difference?

Not gonna help. These kinda things are sold on the black market by people who know they are stolen, sold to people who know they were stolen.

If you sell stolen shit to honest people they tend to do everything in their power to find the seller. Which is not good for the seller.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post