SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Left-eye dominant - right-hand shooters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left-eye dominant - right-hand shooters Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have tried to shoot left handed and it doesn’t feel normal.

I'd like to revisit this assertion, as I too had that same long-term sensation. Given the options at the time, I determined to practice a bit. Instead of mounting holsters such that both were drawn & fired by the right hand, I had a left side holster made so I could have one on each hip. Using a cowboy action double holster rig with 2 single action 45s, the mechanical comfort of drawing and firing Left handed only took a few months to actually feel 'good'.

In the same time frame, growing accuracy came with the left hand draw/left eye aim grew rapidly as my left hand strength increased, and my ability to focus better than the Right side grew.

I even shot my lever carbine left sided at least half the time. Granted, I had to admit in the first place I was *not* a gamer/competitor, but rather in the *participant*geezer* group.

It worked so well by the time my right eye vision had returned, I preferred to shoot with either/both hands/eyes. The increase in stage performance and match satisfaction grows as this skill is acquired through a bit of discipline.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
RMRs changed the way I shoot. It's the only way I can shoot both eyes open and I think they're the best thing to happen to handguns in 20 years.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This group never fails me! Maybe a little more background - I have shot rifles and shotguns since I was about 9 and it was totally natural(and a necessity) to shoot them left-handed because my right eye is almost legally blind. However, I first started shooting pistols just a few years ago when the state legalized conceal carry.

I then started shooting my first pistol left-handed, but for whatever reason it has never felt natural. I know that I should shoot more accurately because I am pretty good with both rifle and shotgun. Based on the experiences above (and greatly appreciated), I believe I will give it a try and see if I can become more accurate than just "adequate". I guess I have nothing to lose other than a little ammo and at the very worse, I will still be adequate left-handed and have a lot of practice shooting with the off-hand just in case I ever need it.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
My wife is right handed, but left eye dominant. She does quite well shooting a handgun out to 10-12 yards.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I just tilt my head down and forward and use my nose and brow ridge to block my right eye. I'd just shut my eye if I could but I have to contort half my face to shut my right eye alone. I can easily shut my left eye on its own but... well, it's my dominant eye Razz

For rifles I just shoot right eyed. Never any issues.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
The left-hand discussion thread reminded me of a question related to "handness", but I didn't want to hi-jack the thread. I am strongly left-handed and also strongly left-eye dominant. I currently shoot my pistols left-handed, but have always thought that a pistol felt much more natural in my right hand.

My question: For those of you who shoot on the side opposite of your dominant eye, what are the challenges, drawbacks, or inconveniences would I face in changing over? Note: I am just an adequate pistol shooter currently, so it isn't as if I would be sacrificing much talent if I switched! Confused

I am left handed, right eye is very dominant. I shoot pistols with the right hand, never had a problem. (But I am not in law enforcement or competition). My brother is right handed, left eye dominant. He shoots left handed, is quite a skilled hunter.

I am left eye dominate yet right handed....except for cocking my head slightly (I shoot mainly with a Chapman stance, although I am trying to move to isosceles).

trigger and recoil control are the big things when training off hand shooting and both of those can be mitigated with training.

Try dry firing with your right, if it feels better....better trigger control etc then do it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
I've read multiple articles and posting on the cross eye dominance issue. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Eye surgery left my right eye weaker than my left. Effectively, I have mono-vision. It allows me to read without glasses with the sacrifice of some distance in the other eye. It's a benefit until it comes to shooting long guns. I haven't shot a long gun for decade - since my Marine Corps days. I just purchased a long gun and awaiting it's arrival.

I find it extremely difficult to shoot left handed (left shoulder injury).

Questions:
1. I've read that blocking the left (dominant eye) will allow me to begin to be able to shoot with both eyes open over time. Does that actually work?
a. How long does would you guess it would normally take (knowing that everyone is different)? I just want to get some kind of gauge of time.
b. If it works, does it last forever or is it temporary and will need a refresher?

2. It has been said that I can train my brain to switch, making my right eye dominant. Is that true?
a. Being that my right eye is weaker, is that possible or even a good idea to make it my dominant eye?

Handguns aren't a problem. I just move the handgun to the dominant eye.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm fully ambidextrous, and have neither eye dominant. Way back when I had enough hair on top, rather that acting as a kind of hair-fence, I had a double hair crown.

Being ambi has been of great benefit to me over my last almost sixty years of shooting - even here in UK, there can be bargainous left-hand guns to be had, and I've lucked in a number of times for an item that would otherwise have been pretty costly I'm a great wall and fence painter, too, as I can use two brushes at the same time, and using hand-tools at awkward angles doesn't bother me, as I can do a screw up with one hand, and undo another one with the other. Sure, I'm not the world's best shot, but I was good enough to meet tri-service competition standards and have the medals to prove it.

But for me, the biggest benefit of being able to use both hands equally well is to put it to good use, so I help teach people with handicaps to shoot rifle, handgun and bow.

That's the best thing, and maybe why I was put here in the first place.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My almost 23-YO son is left eye dominant and right handed. As a kid he batted LH (quite well) in baseball.

He's currently in training in the IDF. Shoots a rifle LH and pistol RH, with his head carried over farther to align the sights.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm ambidextrous but prefer to shoot right handed for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the ejection of semiauto rifles.

My master eye switches from time to time and if it does just as I press the trigger, I'm guaranteed a miss.

So, I set my glasses up as mono vision with my right eye set up for distance and my left for up close.

That solved the problem for me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Like me many of us are cross eyed dominant. But the OP is not cross eyed dominant. I think your challenges would only be getting used to shooting righty.

The OP is not naturally cross eye dominant, but he is considering shooting that way. He may well experience some challenges with that, but I expect they’ll be manageable.

I had some issues with my right shoulder before going to a five day class that I had been looking forward to for a long time. I did some practice left handed ahead of the class, then went and did the class left handed (with an unmodified P226R). The instructor deadpanned “Your holster is on the wrong side.” when I showed up on the line for the first drill. One of the other instructors commented later that he found eating, brushing his teeth, and doing other similar day to day things to really help. My state requires one to qualify with the pistol(s) they wish to carry, which are listed be serial number on the permit. I typically qualify right handed with the P228 and left handed with the P226. I’m no ace of the base, but I get by.

One may not ever be as comfortable with their “off hand”, but one might be surprised at how effective one can get with the “other” hand. It is amazing what practice and training can do for you… When I was doing a lot of work on one “Drill of the month” (draw and put five rounds in a three x five card or ammo box top at seven yards in 1.5 seconds) I found that I was averaging 10 to 20 hundredths (0.1-0.2) of a second slower and usually one shot more accurate left handed.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right handed, left-eyed. Right eye was always weak since childhood, attempts to remedy didn't really pan out.

I shoot pistols very proficiently right handed and just move them over to my left eye. My eye dominancy actually led me to Sig rifles back in the day as I shoot Sig rifles and other similar piston platforms right handed but left-eyed. Their comb height being much lower than an AR-15 pattern rifles really lets me get my head down lower and rolled over a bit. I have to shoot straight stocked rifles like AR's or M14's etc left handed which I can do fine.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Ideally, I shoot a right handed action in a stock fit it to my left arm. Trigger pulling is fairly simple, Relative to cycling and loading.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to teach cross eye dominant pistol shooters to cant the weapon slightly towards the dominant eye. Seemed to be the easiest way to adjust for most of them.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
right handed left eyed. I have found no disadvantages in my shooting. Actually I prefer some things about it. Having a slung rifle hanging on my left side and having a holster on my right is more comfortable. Reload drills on the right handed rifle and I can already seen in the chamber for malfunctions. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
How does a much weaker non dominant (cross dominant) eye comes into
play when shooting a long gun with two eyes open?

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have no issues w. a red dot

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
On the range, we have had some decent success with the cross-eye dominant issues by having guys switch over to red dots on their duty pistols.

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'm Left eye dominant, but physically right handed...
I shoot a pistol right handed, from a bladed stance, which moves the gun over towards my dominant left eye. I cock my head ever so slightly to get sight picture and it works, naturally for me. I also always shot a 'stick pistol' the same way as far back as I can remember. I never had to think about it, I just did it, and still do... Cool

This....never really thought about it until someone mentioned on Sig Forum many years ago.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Left eye dominant / mostly lefty.
Taught myself to shoot right handed because most handguns are built for them. Lefty holsters almost impossible to find in my neck of the woods.
If and when i’m called to shoot “non dominant” hand in a competition or exercise i draw the widest smile. There was hell to pay against me during Sigarms Academy simunitions practice. I would dual wield instead of switching. Wink

Strictly left handed with long guns.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post