SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ken Osmond, ‘Leave It to Beaver’ Star Who Played Eddie Haskell, Dies at 76
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ken Osmond, ‘Leave It to Beaver’ Star Who Played Eddie Haskell, Dies at 76 Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Ken Osmond, best known for his role as the troublemaker Eddie Haskell on the television comedy “Leave It to Beaver,” died on Monday morning. He was 76.

Sources tell Variety Osmond died at his Los Angeles home surrounded by family members. The cause of death is unknown.

“He was an incredibly kind and wonderful father,” Haskell’s son Eric said. “He had his family gathered around him when he passed. He was loved and will be very missed.”

Henry Lane, Osmond’s former partner at the Los Angeles Police Department, also confirmed the news and said he had suffered from respiratory issues.

After “Leave it to Beaver” finished its run in 1963, Osmond returned for the telefilm “Still the Beaver” in 1983 and for the revival series “The New Leave it to Beaver.” His sons on the series were played by his real-life sons Eric and Christian. He returned to the role a final time in 1997’s feature film “Leave it to Beaver.”

Osmond, a native of Glendale, Calif., began his career as a child actor with his first speaking part at age 9 in the film “So Big,” starring Jane Wyman and Sterling Hayden, followed by “Good Morning Miss Dove,” and “Everything But the Truth.” He also guest-starred on television series including “Lassie,” “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet,” “Wagon Train,” “Fury” and “The Loretta Young Show.”

In 1957, Osmond auditioned for the the Eddie Haskell role, which was originally intended to be a guest appearance, but those involved with the show were so impressed with Osmond’s portrayal that the character became a key component of the series throughout its six-season run of 234 episodes.

Osmond portrayed Haskell as sycophantic to grownups while making fun of them behind their backs. He was a high school friend of Wally Cleaver, older brother of Theodore “The Beaver” Cleaver, and constantly trying to entice his friends into activities that would get them into trouble. During the final years of the show, Osmond was in the U.S. Army Reserve.

When the series ended, Osmond continued working as an actor, appearing on “Petticoat Junction,” “The Munsters,” and a return appearance on “Lassie.” He appeared in feature films “C’mon Let’s Live a Little” and “With Six You Get Eggroll” but found himself typecast as Eddie Haskell.

Osmond joined the Los Angeles Police Department in 1970 and grew a mustache to be less recognizable. In 1980, Osmond was shot in a chase with a suspected car thief, though he was saved by his bulletproof vest. He was put on disability and retired from the force in 1988.

Osmond filed a class-action lawsuit in 2007 against the Screen Actors Guild, asserting that SAG had over-stepped its authority in collecting foreign royalties without disclosing the collection agreements until he and Jack Klugman threatened to file suit. The action was settled in 2010.

He is survived by his wife, Sandra, and two sons, Christian and Eric.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/ne...exY8PTD_PxTdVSLqxbIs

RIP Eddie!

There's a meme floating out there "Mrs Cleaver when I asked to see the Beav.... oh never mind"

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Eddie Haskell was my favorite character on the show. Funny guy.

Reminds me of the old one about "Who uttered the nastiest line ever said on a network TV show?"

Barbara Billingsley as June Cleaver: "Now Ward, don't you think you were a little too hard on the Beaver last night?"

Posts: 6473 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
RIP Eddie Haskell.... His skill and ease demonstrating slick introduction to 'the con' before I had even heard the term...

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always rely on not being able to rely on anything that was uttered by Eddie.

May God bless Mr Osmond and may he not lapse back into that insincere flattery, while in the presence of our Lord.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Definitely a key figure that made LTB the great show that it was. RIP.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
He may not have invented suck-up, but he was the poster child.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Damn, and I still watch Leave It To Beaver occasionally.

Eddie Haskell is one of THE iconic characters in TV history. Even my son's college friends know who Eddie Haskell is. The character transcends time and trends. EVERYBODY has had an Eddie in their lives, they may have been one themselves.

Rest In Peace.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never knew he was a cop. He played Eddie perfectly.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Eddie. We have all had an Eddie Haskell buddy. IIRC he was a motorcycle cop for LAPD and one of the first DRE’s.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I came on the job with LAPD in 78, he was already there. I remember him being a motor officer but cant remember which division he worked. If I remember correctly, during the academy we trained a couple of times at Universal Studios on that street where Leave it to Beaver was filmed but I could be mistaken. That was a long time ago.

RIP Ken. KMA-367.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Another legend gone. RIP.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
He was iconic. I met a number of characters in my career who I referred to as Eddie Haskell. They are everywhere. RIP Eddie.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, you could make a comment like ..."oh no, another Eddie Haskill" to any baby boomer today and they know exactly what you mean.

That is an actor that made an impression. RIP.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Looking at his film credits, I realise that I probably saw him in a bunch of those other shows/films, but the slick Eddie Haskel is his only role that I can remember. RIP

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
This from poster Timber Queen at Lucianne.com --

I worked with Officer Osmond when I was a Morning Watch (Graveyard) record clerk at Central Division, downtown on the ground floor of the old Parker Center (1974-76). He was very funny and very unassuming. The total opposite of Eddy Haskell, which tells you something about his acting abilities. He was really a good egg about his "claim to fame." As a Skid Row foot beat officer the majority of his bookings were drunks and ladies of the night, also usually drunk. In the cold light of the Watch Commander's office during booking his partner would ask the arrestee if Officer Osmond looked familiar. Generally, they were confused and the partner would reveal their brush with stardom, "You've been arrested by Eddie Haskell." Ken would confirm by saying, "You look lovely today Mrs. Cleaver." The looks and reactions were priceless.

I'm so thankful I got to know the man and the officer... and see the actor ply his craft. May the Perpetual Light shine upon him.

https://www.lucianne.com/2020/...ead_at_76_34438.html

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watch LTB every morning and today was a tribute to Ken. He will be missed.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Had no idea he was an officer. Very cool.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Interesting story. The kid you loved to hate.

RIP, Eddie!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post