SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Popeye's Chicken Sandwich
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Popeye's Chicken Sandwich Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Anyone opt to try one yesterday when they reappeared? I passed our local Popeye's on my way back from HD and the drive through line wrapped the building and flowed out into the adjacent parking lot. When things finally settle down a bit, I'd like to try one.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Maybe if it calms down. I've never eaten at a restaurant worth waiting in line more than a couple of minutes for.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I heard it stinks compared to CFA; dry and served by rude, surly employees. Eek

I'll stick with CFA, thanks!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

We stopped at Popeye's yesterday for lunch. Just two of us at the counter. After 5 minutes of waiting a manager could be heard yelling "don't take another order until we catch up." I looked around and no one was waiting except for us and they had but a single car in the drive thru. We blew em off and drove a mile to the nearest CFA. Delicious!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Was really looking for feedback from members here who have actually tried one.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I had one yesterday (first time having one).

Is it a good chicken sandwich?

Yes, it is...

Was all the hype about it really necessary?

No, it was not...

Is it worth the $3.99 (plus tax) that I paid for it?

Yes, it was...

You get a very big, crispy, tasty piece of chicken on a decent bun. It is well seasoned and flavorful.

It is a big sandwich. I was surprised at its size. I was going to buy two, but it was not necessary. I was full from just one.

Overall, yes it is a good sandwich, but not worth fighting over or waiting a long time in line for (I have the same opinion about Chic-Fil-A....except for their Mac and Cheese).

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
After 5 minutes of waiting a manager could be heard yelling "don't take another order until we catch up."
How did you know it was a manager, not just a lazy $15 an hour guy?

OK, yesterday we went out to "lunch", about 5:00 PM when my wife got home from her soccer games. I didn't starve, buy I was thinking I would. Service was OK. But we finished and got up to leave. Went to the cash register and stood there. Waiting. After about 3 or 4 minutes with no one in sight, I yelled "Hell Frisch's is anybody working today?." Yeah, it made my wife mad. A minute or two later a scruffy looking guy appeared and said sorry. He was working on something. I was polite, or as much as I could muster. I could hear him BSing out of sight. I was thinking $15 an hour to BS? The old $7.25 was too much for that kind of work.

Waiting to eat... OK, it takes time to cook an order. Sometimes workers (?) are busy serving other customers. Managers need to manage, not BS.

I no longer go to chain steak houses. The reason is simple, I don't like to stand and wait. The restaurant we're going to for supper tonight is great. We go every Monday. I've discovered if you arrive at like 5:00, you get seated as soon as the greeter is damned good and ready, not after waiting in line. Yes, if she makes me stand I tell the manager about it.

I ask for my waitress or server by name. She's great to say the least. If she see's me standing, she motion's me back to "my" table. Service is always good, aometimes better, as in great. But the wife and I have the same meal, week after week. No, it doesn't get old, they do a good job of it. The price is $14.26, my wife orders water so its not expensive. But I pay with a $20 bill. The extra is tip. So its $5.74 tip. I do it that way because I don't want to wait for any change.

So what does that buy me? Prompt service, polite service. I'm happy, my wife is happy, the server seems happy.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I stopped by Popeye's and picked up one today for lunch on the way home from work. I was quite impressed.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse then Chick-Fil-A. I like them both about equal.

The bun was good, the chicken breast was nice and thick, tender with a good crunchy crust. Pickles where good.

The sauce would be my only complaint. There wasn't much of it and I don't think it added much flavor. It needs either more or another type of sauce.

I would get it again but it won't replace Chick-Fil-A. It's a nice option.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one on the first go around a couple of months ago. It was ok. Nothing special to me and definitely not worth all the hype. CFA is much better IMHO.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
They piss me off.

Not because it's good or bad, but because it makes it impossible to get the occasional bucket of chicken for the family on the way home! Mad

I still predict no matter how good the sandwich, their service model is nowhere near good enough to support that and they will fail in that regard. Forever.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
The restaurant we're going to for supper tonight is great. We go every Monday.......... But the wife and I have the same meal, week after week. No, it doesn't get old, they do a good job of it. The price is $14.26, my wife orders water so its not expensive.

So, you've taken chain steak houses off the list but still found this gem. WTH are you getting - a bowl of soup and some crackers?? Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Had one for lunch today and it is better than chick til a. I absolutely love chick fil a and could eat it everyday but the Popeyes sandwich was amazing.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I had one from the first go round and it was O.K. I got the spicy sandwich and they slathered too damn much spicy sauce on it. Chicken was good though.

I won't wait in line for it, but I will at CFA.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Had one for lunch today and it is better than chick til a. I absolutely love chick fil a and could eat it everyday but the Popeyes sandwich was amazing.

I LOVE CFA, but want to try the Popeyes sandwich because I've Read that it's a bit less salty than CFA. That's my only complaint with them, the chicken tends to be a bit too salty for my taste and my ticker.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It was good, not great. I'm not dying to go back. And given the customer service, cleanliness of the restaurant, etc., i'll be going to CFA.

When I was in, there was only one sandwich left. As I was ordering, a women came into the restaurant with a sandwich whose wrapping was open. She explained she was in the drive through and they gave her a regular instead of spicy. The teenage cashier took her sandwich back, closed the wrapping, and put it back right next to the single one i was eyeing. Thankfully the manager saw this and told him he cannot serve that sandwich.

So yeah, no rush to go back there.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try one, but the Popeyes that opened in my county last year hasn't had any chicken the 8 times I've tried to buy chicken from them.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My lady friend had them yesterday and said they're good but not CFA good.

Here, CFA and Popeye's are neighbors, BUT it's a 1-way street and I would have to drive past CFA to get to Popeye's. I'll try it once, but it would have to be very good to get me to drive past CFA twice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I have been eating both chick fil a filet and popeye's for between 30 and 40 years now. I have tried the spicy chicken sandwich at both both are good but I would go back to chick fil a for the sandwich that being said when I was roofing I knew where every popeye's chicken was in the whole county I go there for the chicken and the biscuits and red beans and rice specifically. I will always stop at a chick fil a when traveling for the guaranteed service and quality, most of the popeye's I went to had very good management I always had good food and never had a complaint

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Manufactured hype

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post