SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Popeye's Chicken Sandwich
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Popeye's Chicken Sandwich Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
That's downtown Oviedo, right?

Yesireebob...

Not sure about the political protection, but nobody messed with them, don't see them much anymore, they did crap up the entrance to the post office LOL...

My hound loved to sit in the truck and watch them cluck around....

New Popeyes is up by the new downtown Oviedo park area....

And that one is pretty 'hood as well. I know that 'hood and Oviedo don't exactly go hand in hand but it's like they import 'hood rats to work at their locations regardless of where the restaurant is.

The one on Colonial and Alafaya might be worse, it has more 'hood attitude and it's busier.

Lately I've just been going to Publix for fried chicken. Shame because I really like the cajun rice and mashed potatoes from Popeye's.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
One TX location had to resort to a 9 year old in kitchen due to the demand.

Link

I do like his work ethic, but probably not a good look.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Because of this thread, I decided to try the spicy chicken sandwich. My Popeye's location said today was going to be the first time it was offered here.

My wife stood in the inside line for over an hour with cars backed up for a good half mile to make an order at the drive through.

No mayhem, just frenzy.

When my wife got to the counter, she ordered, then paid. They handed her a receipt and told her to come back to pick it up in 2 hours.

I needed a haircut so we did that and had an overpriced coffee to kill time.

Upon tasting the sandwich, I concluded that although good, it was not a three hour sandwich and certainly wasn't anything worth dying for.

The breading on the chicken was crunchy and had a snap that's hard to find, reminiscent of a good chicken fried steak.

The chicken was very well cooked and very moist in a good way. The chicken was tender but not overcooked like you find at KFC. The sauce was good in a Cajun way but even with the pickle inside, it needed, to me, another flavor note.

Although the spice left my mouth pleasantly spice-energized, it was too flat in it's flavor profile. My mouth was tingling all over but with chile pepper-like flavors. It left other parts of the palate untouched. It tasted incomplete.

Overall, the Jack In The Box ranch club could give this sandwich a run for its money and would have taken about three hours less.

Rating: Interesting experience but culinary let down.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
They handed her a receipt and told her to come back to pick it up in 2 hours.

Wow, I wouldn't even do that for Frankin's BBQ in Austin.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

You have no idea how surprised and near-cranky my wife was (Or, maybe you could imagine). She was already just barely indulging me because I just wanted to do a social experiment. Big Grin

She indulged me none the less and we made the best of the time with each other.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

For Franklin's? Let me think about that Razz

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Finally tried Popeyes plain chicken sandwich, which only took 5 minutes b/c a local establishment is clean and well run. The chicken was juicier and slightly thicker than CFA’s. No seasoning, couldn’t get it on a multigrain bun, nor could I get it with lettuce. Better? No, just different and an acceptable option. No way would I wait 2 hrs for one and I don’t care how good food is if I have to go through an urban warfare jungle, which I didn’t.

Foster’s Grille pretty much makes the same sandwich, except I can order it with all manner of toppings in a nicer setting and with greater options as to sides.

Don’t get the P-sandwich’s hype but I also don’t care for rap music and all the other bullshit that comes from the majority of Popeyes apparent clientele.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Don’t get the P-sandwich’s hype

I believe the crowds and combat are specifically over some new spicy sandwich.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Don’t get the P-sandwich’s hype

I believe the crowds and combat are specifically over some new spicy sandwich.

It's the same thing, except one has added spice. All of my comments are thus apropos.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Foster’s Grille pretty much makes the same sandwich, except I can order it with all manner of toppings in a nicer setting and with greater options as to sides.

I have a Foster's nearby. Burgers are decent. Might have to try the chick sandwich.....

Last time we ate at Foster's I noticed that they comped a Korean War vet's meal. Good to see.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My wife was out of town this weekend, so my 14 y/o daughter and I had our choice of what we want to eat (no guilt tripping). She chose Popeye's. What a great kid I've raised!!

We went through the drive thru, arrived at 5:45pm and got to the order menu at 6:25. Got our food at 6:38. We were there for chicken, not the sammich, but ordered a spicy sammy just because we'd had to already wait so long.

Not sure about everyone else's experiences, but we LOVED it. First thing we noted when we got it out of the foil bag was that it was flippin' huge. The filet was roughly 2x the size of a CFA, the breading was just the right amount, and the spiciness was, while adequate, not as spicy as the CFA Spicy variety. The cajun sauce was great and the bread was great, which made the experience as a whole very good for us. We split the sammy on the way home and agreed it was every bit as good as CFA, maybe leaning toward better. I feel guilty admitting that, as the service at CFA is always superior, but the sandwich was darn good.

As an aside, the poor cashier at the window looked worn slap out! I asked her how she was holding up, and she just kinda snickered and said "I've been here since 11am, and I get off at 8. If I live that long."

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
CFA is far superior to Popeyes!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Based on some of the crazy articles on this subject, I'm trying to come up with a witty correlation to the hockey adage, "I went to watch the fights and a hockey game broke out", but I can't seem to nail it down.

Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
CFA is far superior to Popeyes!
Which, just in case you missed it, was not the focus of this thread.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I just boarded a flight to Phoenix and scoped out a couple of Popeye' s locations on my route north to Flagstaff so that's the dinner plan. If I manage to get a spicy sandwich without a side of knife or bullet I will report back Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, to paraphrase Chris Rock- if someone cuts in front of you in line, let it slide.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
No sammich is that good to get stabbed for. Anyway, bought the hype, drive thru around 2:30p, only 4 cars, I'm 5th, I said okay, not too bad. Well, after 30 minutes, I got my food. How hard is it to make a hundred of them at a time? Are they slow where you're at as well?

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:
No sammich is that good to get stabbed for. Anyway, bought the hype, drive thru around 2:30p, only 4 cars, I'm 5th, I said okay, not too bad. Well, after 30 minutes, I got my food. How hard is it to make a hundred of them at a time? Are they slow where you're at as well?

Well? How was it?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I just boarded a flight to Phoenix and scoped out a couple of Popeye' s locations on my route north to Flagstaff so that's the dinner plan. If I manage to get a spicy sandwich without a side of knife or bullet I will report back Razz

Just a few cars in the drive through line. It was ahrite, I wouldn't disrespect a mafucker over one.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Last week, I submitted my Sandwich Request Form. Today I received my confirmation code and I am scheduled to get line for my sandwich in March, 2020, guaranteed a wait of no more than 16 hours.

I'm stoked

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post