SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 10 password cracker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 password cracker Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I have been tasked with checking out Grandma Shelton’s pc. There have been LOTS of family pictures scanned to it, but no one has the password to the local account.
Anyone have a password cracker for win10?

And yes, I can probably get the data off w/o the password, but the family wants to be able to use the pc afterwards.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you have not tried to see if there are other accounts (and perhaps an admin account with no password), you might get lucky.

Press CTRL ALT DEL

Click on "Switch User" and see if there is a user "administrator", if so, see if it will log in without a password.

Or download and burn a bootable DVD of "Hirens PE".

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Be careful you don't click on any "ads" and download any crapware in the process of perusing Hirens site.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No other accounts, unfortunately.

I have an old copy of Hiren’s, guess I need to download it again and see if it’s been updated.
Thx.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you can get to a command prompt, you can activate the hidden admin account in win 10. This account does not have a password.

Type at the command prompt and press the enter key when done:

net user administrator /active:yes

I believe the hirans boot CD has a way to get to the command prompt.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Use OPHCrack. I've used it for years to crack passwords. Plus, it's free.

look here => https://ophcrack.sourceforge.io/download.php

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Try the grandkids' names.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

Ha! Grandma Shelton was nearly 101. She had three kids (they are all still alive, oldest just turned 80), each of them had three kids, most of them had three kids......

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I would just take the hard drive out and hook it up externally to another computer. If the drive wasn't encrypted, you should be able to just search the hard drive for pictures and documents as needed. Then just put a new drive in the old computer and reinstall windows 10 with new accounts so it can still be used.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
Just take the drive out and hook it to another computer.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

Ha! Grandma Shelton was nearly 101. She had three kids (they are all still alive, oldest just turned 80), each of them had three kids, most of them had three kids......

Well that's only 39. Actually 40 once you consider the person name " ".
Yes, that's a blank.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Well that's only 39. Actually 40 once you consider the person name " ".
Yes, that's a blank.

And "password"!

Posts: 2541 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
6 Best Free Windows Password Recovery Tools

I've used either the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor or Trinity Rescue Kit several times in the past.

N.B.: The two I used did not recover passwords, but allowed you to delete them, giving you password-less logins. I never tried them on MS-Win10.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PrinceAliFabulousHe:
Just take the drive out and hook it to another computer.

Link

This, get a usb based external drive docking station, they are not expensive under $30, remove the drive, attach to another windows pc and you'll be able to get to the data, one you get all the files off, you can reformat that drive with a fresh win 10 install for others to use.

At least do this before you start trying to crack the password and end up with a messed up drive...

Once you have the data secure is the time to go after the password.

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
^^^

This IS the easiest way. Then when you're done, put the drive back in the computer with a fresh install of windows.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Did you try "guest" ?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Try "joshua" - but don't start playing Global Thermonuclear War.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
+1 on pulling the drive out & hooking it up to another computer using an USB external drive enclosure or SATA to USB adapter

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx for the suggestions, folks.
I got it done with the new version of Hiran’s CD. They have really made some improvements since last i downloaded it.

Just so y’all know, not my first rodeo with this sort of thing...
But this was a somewhat special instance.
It used to be hooked to a corporate network, then went home with an employee, then got upgraded from 7 to 10, then got a gmail account tied to the local account, then had several different people using it over the last five or six years.

Anyway, I will probably still suck the data off, but I wanted to see if a new user profile would help any.

But I do appreciate the suggestions. I’ve learned that sometimes a different set of eyes can shed new light on a problem.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Try "joshua" - but don't start playing Global Thermonuclear War.

No, no, no... Pencil

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you shouldn't use the word cracker in your title

depending on whom you talk to, that could either be racist Big Grin or cultural misappropriation...

Big Grin

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post