SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does caffeine affect you?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does caffeine affect you? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I only drink coffee or at the most, Mountain Dew for energy if I need caffeine but I won't do those 5 hour energy drinks or others. I have seen a few people have cardiac issues while consuming them. I get a little extra boost with my morning coffee and I am used to starting my day with it.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
unsweetened ice tea

What kind of Yankee business is that?

Gross.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I can drink a large cup of coffee then go right to sleep. I like it for the taste.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
If I don’t drink it I have a killer headache. We were visiting a relative for three days. On the second day my wife and I had killer headaches. On the third day still with killer headaches we were having breakfast before leaving our relatives house for the drive back home. Relative asked how we liked the coffee they just changed brands as she showed us the word that stood out to both of us on the package was DECAF. We said our good byes and drove straight to a convenience store for a large coffee for both of us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I can only drink a few cups. Helps me move along digestion and open my eyes. Too much - like an energy drink - and my heart races and I feel like crap. So I drink coffee only and in moderation - I avoid anything else with caffeine

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Caffeine has never effected me.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Only in its absence each morning. Try to avoid that!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I drink redbull during summer and coffee during the winter. ...
Doesn't wake me up or make me energized.

We use energy shots like 5 Hr. when driving / road trips etc. It helps and the concentrated dose doesn't add to bathroom stops like drinking full sized drinks like a cup of coffee or a full size energy drink.

A reg (original) Red Bull is only 80 Mg. of caffeine. I've seen guys slam 3 red bulls in a row at work! So try something stronger. For example a 5 Hr Energy extra strength has almost 3 times the caffeine as a Red Bull.

List of drinks by caffeine content. You can sort the list by clicking on the header columns.

https://www.caffeineinformer.c...he-caffeine-database

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I can drink a cup of coffee late at night and still go to bed and sleep OK.

I always take a long time to fall asleep which is probably why that is, my wife is out like a light when her head hits the pillow.

I will get a headache if I go for a day or two without coffee, so I don't do that!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You're desensitized.

I remember having to drink coffee to stay up for school work while working.

By four o'clock, I was still falling asleep. Then driving in the morning, my eyebrow will tic by itself.

When it gets to that point, I dry out for a couple of weeks then I get affected again.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me have to pee more.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I love coffee. I just like having the hot drink. It's comforting. I don't drink it for a caffeine boost.

One time I stopped at the all-night donut shop after getting off work at 10:30 pm to get a cup of coffee. The counter guy said, "Working the night shift?" I said I just got off. "Late night studying?" he asked. I told him I was going to drink that large cup of coffee and be fast asleep 4 minutes after my head hits the pillow.

A few years ago, I stopped drinking coffee just to prove I wasn't addicted to caffeine. As I suspected, I didn't feel any withdrawal effects. But, after about 3 weeks, I drank a cup of coffee, and then I immediately had to go to the bathroom. Then I felt really anxious, as if I had to study for a test, only there was no test to study for. I thought, "F--- this! That sucks! It's time to build my tolerance up again!"

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My Mom and Dad both drank a cup of coffee every morning to get the day started... and they both drank a cup preparing for bed at night.

That always seemed funny to me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I was a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy. I like my coffee very strong with an oil slick on top.

I order a Venti Bold with two or three add shots of espresso at Starbucks. My favorite is the nine-shot espresso at Dutch Brothers. I can drink coffee and go to bed and go to sleep.

My wife is very sensitive to caffeine. If she has a weak cup of tea around noon, she can't sleep at night.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One large cup of "JOE" for me in the morning gets the motor going.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Yes, if I drink too much, it makes me feel depressed.

We're talking 8 cups a day.

Interestingly, the depression is about nothing in particular.

Anyhow, it's an interesting dynamic.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I drink so much caffeine regulary, if I were to stop now, the cumulative shock would probably kill me.

That being said. I don't get the rush, as my tolerance is too high. If I drink a 240mg Caffeine Rockstar, then I'll start to feel it. However that could be due to a placebo effect.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As others have noted, it's the absence of caffeine that gives me problems.

Extra Bold, brewed strong. Two (and lately, three) cups in the morning, usually a couple more mid-to-late afternoon.

Headache if I try to go cold turkey.

I try not to drink it after about 4pm. It ain't that the caffeine keeps me awake, it's getting up every hour on the hour... Frown

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’m like you, caffeine does nothing for me at all. I just had a cup of bold coffee and I could doze off right now. I have found that most prescription drugs are similar, they dont have the same effect on me as they do other people. If im getting a pain killer shot it will require more than is normal for other people to deaden the nerves.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Quite sensitive. I once accidentally made my morning coffee with my wife's instead of my decaf and about hit the ceiling. The good part is I can dose myself with it during 25 hour drives averaging 65 MPH, or during 62 hour canoe races.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post