SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does caffeine affect you?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does caffeine affect you? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I'm one of those people. I can drink an entire VENTI espresso, snort a line of coffee grounds, mainline some No Doze, and not feel a damn thing. No shakes. No jitter. No alertness. I'm still yawning.

While this is, in some ways, very interesting, it is becoming increasingly annoying. I wish I could use coffee as a tool when I need a bit of a boost or am having a late night.

Alas, nope. I only drink coffee/espresso because it tastes good and healthy-antioxidant-blah-blah- the same reasons for drinking red wine (well...besides the other fringe benefit).

I'm curious how prevalent this is. I haven't heard of too many other people, and from what I've been reading, it has been linked to certain genes, but is poorly understood and understudied.

Question:
Does caffeine affect you? (I'm talking about the stereotypical rush of energy)

Choices:
Yes
No
It does, but not in the typical way. I'll explain.
I don't consume caffeine. Go LDS!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
No, but I wish it still did. Tolerance sucks...

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It does not affect me at all. Because of that I typically drink decaf coffee and even soda if it is available because there is simply no reason for me to consume caffeine. Even after weeks of zero caffeine if I have a caffeinated coffee or soda I feel no effects at all.

I also almost never drink energy drinks or anything like that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Of course it does, that's why I drink it. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve always assumed that like other chemicals we consume, it’s possible to develop a tolerance to caffeine’s effects. I can consume a little (couple of cups of green tea) without any noticeable effect, but a strong cup of coffee will definitely cause an unpleasant physical reaction. I’ve known people who drink vast quantities of coffee and have no apparent reaction to caffeine as they’re consuming it, but will suffer withdrawal symptoms if they can’t get it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Caffeine manages to keep me awake until sleep deprivation overcomes it.
I didn't drink coffee until I started the Fire Academy in my 20s and they had the bright idea of teaching us the entire unabridged City Fire Code. Roll Eyes
(There was no reason for me to know it, the guy that writes up the code violations knows it)

If Monsters or Red Bull were available back then I would've had a case on my desk.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I've developed a tolerance, I don't recall it EVER affecting me. Frown

I don't experience any withdrawal symptoms if I don't have it for a while, either.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that is borderline ADD. When he drinks coffee he actually mellows out.
Folger's Ritalin.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my co-workers goes to sleep after ingesting caffeine, every time.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I keep hoping it will affect me, it doesn't, or at least not nearly enough. I drink redbull during summer and coffee during the winter. I never drank either until I started working 50-60 hour work weeks. Doesn't wake me up or make me energized. It does make my pee stink though, especially coffee.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never drink caffeine after 1400; one soda or a coffee will keep me up for hours past my bedtime.

No tolerance developed here; my wife on the other hand....

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have my last cup of the day just before bed and sleep like a baby.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
I recently had to cut down. Too much caffeine gives me anxiety. I find I'm sleeping better now too.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I don't drink coffee, soda only. I usually have a can of Throwback Mt. Dew (real sugar instead of HFCS) for lunch each day. I feel nothing drinking it, but crave it. If I go more than 24 hours without caffeine I start feeling the withdrawals, craving, lethargy, grumpiness. If I make it a couple days I am fine, but then it lures me back in and I get the Reefer Madness.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I drink 5-6 cups of strong dark-roast coffee per day. ‘Cuz I like the taste. No other effect.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Coffee/caffeine does not give me the jitters or keep me awake. But I find that too much of it makes my stomach feel like an agitator washing machine.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I have to be careful with my caffeine intake — I’m pretty sensitive to it. A couple diet cokes a day and I’m good.

I don’t drink coffee. Or energy drinks. Or that 5 hour energy stuff Eek.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It aggravates my tinnitus, more than anything.

But I can definitely feel it if I've had a couple of espressos or a giant iced coffee.

quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I know a guy that is borderline ADD. When he drinks coffee he actually mellows out.
Folger's Ritalin.

I'd wager there is a high correlation between these two things.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A couple of shots of espresso, or the equivalent, first thing in the morning and I'm good for the rest of the day. OTOH, I used to know a couple who owned a shop in Arlington VA that had a pot of strong coffee every night before going to sleep. Apparently they slept just fine.

If you need a boot, try an energy drink. If you just need to clear the fuzz out of your head in the morning, try CoQ10.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
No, caffeine doesn't affect me much anymore, after 40+ years of multiple cups of coffee in the morning, and either diet Mt. Dew or Pepsi Max in the afternoon.

Sooo, what's that VENTI thing you mentioned?? Is it the millennial version of what was once referred to as LARGE???? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post