SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does caffeine affect you?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does caffeine affect you? Login/Join 
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
It's 2130 hrs and drinking a venti now. But then again I'm retired so going to sleep whenever. It does not affect me at all.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
I never drink caffeine after 1400; one soda or a coffee will keep me up for hours past my bedtime.

Likewise, though 1500 is my cut off. I also limit to two cups of coffee per day to avoid acid issues.

Do love me some Vitamin Water Zero (lemon), though. Keeps the kidneys flushed, too.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I used to be like you. Hell, I can, and used to have a large cup of coffee before going to bed. Would fall directly asleep. Stopping would produce no jiters, headaches, cravings, etc.

Unfortunately, after a recent year of heart issues, I've had to cut out the caffeine due to it raising my blood pressure. I guess it's always raised my pressure, but I just didn't have side effects.

I now drink decaf and regularly have a cup or two before bed. Likewise, tea. All unsweetened, of course.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I probably average 200+mg of caffeine a day. Almost exclusively sugar free Redbulls. I'll start my day with an 8.4 or 12 ounce one. A 12 ounce one is 114mg of caffeine. It sets me just right.

Some days I will have a Bang instead (also sugar free). That's 300mg of caffeine. I can feel that.

Coffee screws up my stomach and gives me heartburn. Every time. Whether I drink it black or with cream. I don't add sugar, etc.

Occasionally I'll skip it for a few days, but the first day or two comes with a humdinger of a headache.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I guess not. I drink a 20oz Diet Coke® just before bed and have no trouble falling asleep at all. I drink several others during the day just to avoid being a narcolept.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I probably average 200+mg of caffeine a day. Almost exclusively sugar free Redbulls. I'll start my day with an 8.4 or 12 ounce one. A 12 ounce one is 114mg of caffeine. It sets me just right.

Some days I will have a Bang instead (also sugar free). That's 300mg of caffeine. I can feel that.

Coffee screws up my stomach and gives me heartburn. Every time. Whether I drink it black or with cream. I don't add sugar, etc.

Occasionally I'll skip it for a few days, but the first day or two comes with a humdinger of a headache.

Damn, broseph. That can't be healthy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Damn, broseph. That can't be healthy.

Not much of an argument against that...but, I'm down 50 pounds and my last measured BP was 108/70, HR was 60something...so if it's gonna kill me it'll be a few years Wink

Really though...200mg of caffeine is the same as someone drinking two large cups of coffee through the day. And lately I've been keeping it to the single 12oz Redbull, so less than 200/day. I know plenty of people that drink coffee all morning.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drinking coffee makes me very sleepy...weird I know but it does.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know plenty of people that drink coffee all morning.

Present.

Blood pressure and HR are good here too.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Caffeine affects everyone whether you outwardly notice the effects or not.

I can also drink a cup of coffee in the evening and have no issues whatsoever falling asleep, but that doesn't mean that the caffeine pumping through my system isn't negatively affecting how my body and mind are resting.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I guess not. I drink a 20oz Diet Coke® just before bed and have no trouble falling asleep at all. I drink several others during the day just to avoid being a narcolept.

flashguy

I used to have a professor who was rumored to go through a case of Diet Pepsi a day. He was (not so fondly) known as "The Man Who Teaches Like A Hunted Animal".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I can wake up in the morning, drink a few cups of coffee and have a Red Bull and then go take a nap for an hour or two. If I don't have some form of caffeine in the morning I'm all over the place. It's almost as if I need caffeine to focus.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Caffeine jacks me up pretty good theses days. I used to have a monster or red Bull and couple cups of coffee each day and feel nice and awake all day. Now I suffer from anxiety so toouch caffeine makes me think I'm having a heart attack. I usually just have one cup in the morning and sip on it for like 2 hours. For a short while i couldnt eve do that. Now i usually feel decent and I like drinking coffee so I'm happy-ish.

quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
...Sooo, what's that VENTI thing you mentioned?? Is it the millennial version of what was once referred to as LARGE???? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Haha makes me think of Role Models.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk0B0dVq4g

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I drink at least 3 cups in the am. (12oz) cups. and another 3 to 5 cans of caffeinated sodas during the day. Im in sales and spend alot of windshield time, and need to stay alert. If I dont have the sodas during the afternoon I develop a headache...

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not, & never have gotten energy from drinking coffee. I never drank coffee until my fitness coach had me drink 1 cup every morning to be used as a natural laxative. Now in that regard, I can tell.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I need several cups of black coffee to get me going in the morning, but I wouldn't call it a "rush," more like a slower infusion. I also find the act of drinking my morning coffee to be relaxing and comforting, in a way. A side effect is that I "go" like a racehorse on a flat rock. I don't need it to keep going.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You need to add “sort of” to your poll... it has been years since I experienced any kind of rush from caffeine. I have a 6 cup stove top espresso maker (output is equivalent to a full cup of coffee in terms of output) that makes a mug of what used to be rocket fuel. Now it is more of a habit- hence the “sort of”. I can drink it and fall asleep if I had to.

On the other side of the coin, I can stop cold turkey and suffer no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever, and doesn’t seem to affect how awake I am or am not.

Back when Big Lots used to get various overstock energy drinks, I used to buy them for .50 a can or less. I don’t drink them anymore so coffee barely fills the void, so to speak.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I drink coffee so others may live. I even got the tee shirt. Cool

https://rangerup.com/products/...ffee-vintage-t-shirt

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning, have something caffeinated at lunch, and have a cup of coffe between 4 & 5 PM. Any more than that and I’d get jittery. Have to cut off caffeine intake 5 or 6 hours before bed.

Now, my neurologist specializing in migraines has regimented my caffeine intake. She thought I was having too much caffeine but she didn’t want me to eliminate it either. Now, it’s 1 cup in the morning and another between 4 & 5 PM. She insisted that I do not vary from that so I do it every day whether I feel like it or not.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
It doesn't give me a rush, but if I don't have caffeine in the morning, by mid afternoon I feel tired.

I tried giving up caffeine going cold turkey about 10 years ago. By day 3 I thought I was dying.

My typical caffeine is in the form of unsweetened ice tea.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post