SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree removal - I don't understand these prices. - Question Pg. 3 - Saving a round.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree removal - I don't understand these prices. - Question Pg. 3 - Saving a round. Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Come to Florida The Hurricanes will take them down for nothing!!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2257 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Kind of funny to read all th3 answers. I've done my fair share of tree dropping. My best tool is my jeep with a winch on the front. It doesn't weigh very much, maybe 4500#. If you've been using one for years, you pretty much can tell where the tree will fall without it. I don't try to fight nature or gravity.

a few years ago I had a knock on the front door. It was a good ole hillbilly in his pickup truck. The one maple out front had 2 trunks, and needed work done. He offered to cut the broken and dying trunk and stack it as firewood in my drive. His price was $40. I let him go at it. It was worth the money not to bother. The guy was good, took it down and sawed it up in under an hour. He was going home from work and saw the chance to make some beer money. I'd use him any day over Skins union friends. Its the American way. Work, get paid, go on your way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Skins...are you on FB? If so, are you a member of RHOLC? There are several guys in there who own tree services and will get you fair pricing. They're mostly all in Loudoun.

When we were getting quotes 15yrs ago to wire for a hot tub, we got quotes of $1200 from most electricians. I spent $200 on supplies and with help from my brother-in-law who's a GC down in NC, we knocked it out in 45min. As my wife says; "$200 for the work, $2k for the know-how".

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty good with a chainsaw and have used them a lot. When it came time to down a very large Pecan tree, I felt it was not worth the risk because of where it was located. The tree was located between my House and Shop with only one direction it could go safely. It had to fall perfectly to avoid doing any damage.
All I was looking for was someone who could put it on the ground. I would do the rest. I called several tree services in my area and got bids from $1200 to 1800 to just down the tree. I felt every bid was outrageous so I continued to look for a cheaper price. I ended up calling a tree service recommended by a co-worker and he gave me a price of $400.00. Turns out, he was one of the best and busiest in the area. It took him about an hour.
Shop around. Prices can vary greatly.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're not afraid of heights you can rent a lift from sunbelt and cut the tree down yourself. I've taken down two trees in my yard doing the work myself. With a lift you just cut from the top down, the lift gets you to the top of the tree and has enough standoff distance that nothing can fall on you as you cut. Just get a lift that will reach to the top of the tree.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
If you're not afraid of heights you can rent a lift from sunbelt and cut the tree down yourself. I've taken down two trees in my yard doing the work myself. With a lift you just cut from the top down, the lift gets you to the top of the tree and has enough standoff distance that nothing can fall on you as you cut. Just get a lift that will reach to the top of the tree.

If you do this and you drop the tree in pieces and you have yourself secured to the tree with a safety strap, please wrap a chain around the tree below the cut but above your safety strap. Some trees will split below the cut when/if the top part starts to fall before the cut is complete. Folks have been severely injured or killed by the safety strap when that happens. A tightly wrapped chain can prevent the problem.

Also, be advised that the tree may sway a bit when the pieces come off. When I was a teenager, I needed to drop a couple of 80’ eucalyptus on Mom’s ranch. Not wanting to chance dropping one on one of the avocado trees instead of the dirt road, I climbed up the first to about 50’ and dropped the top 30’. It felt like it swayed 12’ each way, but it was probably somewhere between 4 and 6’. I took on more cut on the way down. The second one I just notched well and droppedon the road. I was not going back up one of those trees...

ETA: Terrible reading comp and I wasn’t even drinking. Sorry about that!

The suggested man lift would be much safer than climbing. You still need to take care positioning the lift so if a limb hangs on and swings, then breaks it still isn’t going to hit the lift, but it is much safer than climbing.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Kind of funny to read all th3 answers. I've done my fair share of tree dropping. My best tool is my jeep with a winch on the front. It doesn't weigh very much, maybe 4500#. If you've been using one for years, you pretty much can tell where the tree will fall without it. I don't try to fight nature or gravity.

I too used a man lift, then PULLED down a large green oak that was leaning out over our kitchen. Used a 1 ton hand winch and 120’ cable attached about 20’ up the tree for plenty of leverage then used a snatch block to double the pulling power. It was cut a little pull a little until it fell dead center of the 16’ opening between the house and garage. No skill was involed. I just had to outsmart a tree. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Skins...are you on FB? If so, are you a member of RHOLC? There are several guys in there who own tree services and will get you fair pricing. They're mostly all in Loudoun.

When we were getting quotes 15yrs ago to wire for a hot tub, we got quotes of $1200 from most electricians. I spent $200 on supplies and with help from my brother-in-law who's a GC down in NC, we knocked it out in 45min. As my wife says; "$200 for the work, $2k for the know-how".

Not member of RHOLC. Saw something in the Loudoun Times Mirror about them and thought about joining.

This one is being left to the pros. Besides the know-how, I don't have three or four, or more dump trucks to fill with the debris, no chipper, no climbing rigs, and no secret stash of Central Americans in my basement. We are talking about the equivalent of a number of cars in weight of the wood alone. Also it overhangs - my shed, my patio, my neighbors house, his deck, and a little over my garden and house. The pictures don't do it justice, it's the BIGGEST tree in the neighborhood.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I suggest calling the insurance company and verifying that the policy is active.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
So the weather is not going to be too well this week, he called today to tell me we'd have to change the date due to the weather, I asked if it would be next week sometime, he answered actually I want to do it tomorrow. Wait.... what? Yeah he's moving it up to deal with bad weather not pushing it off. Cool.

Anyways, I want to get him to cut a couple of rounds for me to save and try to turn into a table or something.

Questions:

Optimal thickness to prevent cracking?

Anything I can apply to prevent cracking?

Best place to dry? Indoors/Outdoors? High/Low humidity?

Any other tips?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laminating them to a sheet of plywood cut to the same dimensions with epoxy would prevent them from cracking. Coating them with another type of epoxy such as West System, or table top resin will prevent cracking. Dry them on a flat surface.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure as hell wouldn't be subsidizing work for the 'neighbor' any longer!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Got my quote on the tree I needed out. $650 which includes grinding the stump and cutting the tree into fireplace sized logs which I gave to my SIL since I've converted my fireplace to gas. Four man crew (one climber and three on the ground) finished in 2 1/2 hours... tree down, stump ground and unusable fire place wood put through the chipper and a pretty good clean up.

A few pics

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a fine deal and a good job.

One of the oldest and most experienced tree services in our area had a crane topple over last year in extremely wet weather. They put plywood sheets down but the ground was saturated and the crane toppled. The bucketman was banged up pretty bad and broke his arm but could have been much worse.

https://www.newsandtribune.com...0b-b33ff6cf1c65.html

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Came with a giant crane. Took this monster tree down in four hours including stump grinding and clean up. I was amazed how fast they did it. They removed it swinging very large pieces over my house so we mostly stood outside watching, just in case the rigging failed somehow. Ended up with some turf that will need ruts fixed and seed from the grinder, but nothing serious. A plus job from these guys.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here is the round I had cut from the tree. I need to figure out the best way to dry it and find someone who can plane it flat for me. It's not perfect to start with. Convex/concave on top/bottom and almost an inch difference on thickness from thickest to thinnest parts.

Any suggestions for me on how to dry and how to plane it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis