SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree removal - I don't understand these prices. - Question Pg. 3 - Saving a round.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree removal - I don't understand these prices. - Question Pg. 3 - Saving a round. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had an outfit highly recommended on HomeAdvisor remove 5 huge pin oak trees all about the size of the one in your photo last year for a total of $6,000 or $1,200 per tree. That included everything, stump grinding, clean-up, everything.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Man! That sounds high. I normally do my own, but when I was laid up, we needed an oak about like yours taken down. Two Hispanics that worked for a tree removal company took it down piece by piece on their day off for $400. Friends with fireplaces and a log splitter hauled off the cut to length firewood.
Look around, I bet there are a couple of guys out there that do that kind of work that would jump at the chance to make some extra cash.

I'll stick to licensed companies. I don't hire people to do work on the side. I am a tradesman, people doing work on the side hurts me. It makes it harder for the company that I work for to get customers because they just figure they can go to Julio and Juan at 7-11 and get it for half price. We on the other hand have to pay for lability, workman's comp and licensing. Good luck finding Julio and Juan if something goes wrong, they will just move to different 7-11 and you'll never see them again.

I’d venture that many tree companies and tradesmen got their start by moonlighting. Don’t use 7-11 folks; I find out who has skills. No new looking equipment can be clue. Plus, you have to be able to recognize talent when you see it. Fortune favors the bold and informed. YMMV

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Skins2881, I live in the northern part of Virginia. We have a gentleman out of West Virginia who comes through the neighborhood every so often who does tree removal. I used him in the past at the recommendation of a neighbor. But I don't use him any more.

He is what I figured out about this gentleman.

He could quote three people $1,000 each for work that would take his crew and him about a day to do. He would work for three days and have to pay his crew for three days. Or, he could quote those same three people $3,000 for the same jobs. If he gets one person to say yes. He just has to work for one day. He only pays his crew for one day. And he still makes $3,000.

I think he is a very shrewd businessman. However, he can go make his $3,000 off of someone else.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a larger outfit has to keep its people working which can be difficult in the winter when there is less work. So they can be willing to go lower just keep their crews working.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Now is the best time to get it done. In a few weeks when the weather gets warmer the prices will go up. Prices are even crazy high after a major storm as you do not have a choice and are stuck needing to get it cut down or removed. God Bless Smile

Yep. Get done now. It goes easier for the tree guy if there are no leaves on the tree too.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
$2,200 seems like a fair price for a tree that size as long as they are reputable and insured.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I just had some quotes done for a few trees in my front yard.

I have a dead fir and 2 large white pines, only one needs to go, the other is optional. They are next to the road and power lines.

First quote was 4 grand, but was a complete job, including stumps ground 4 inches below grade.
Next quote was 1600, no stump work, words cut to 4 foot lengths but left in the yard.

I called back the first guy, gave him the option to match the quote for limited work, he says it wouldn't be worth his time!

I can move, cut, and use the wood myself and money is money. The second quote will get the work.

And yes, both are insured and licensed.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I paid just under $2k for a sweet gum that I'd guess was a little smaller than your tree. I only used one tree guy and I knew him to be a little on the expensive side, but always did good work and was licensed and insured.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
A guy down the street from me decided to take down a very large tree. In spite of his efforts to fall it in a safe direction, the tree came down right on his neighbor's fence and shed. Bad scene.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
There are many variables in pricing. A big one is will a climber be used or a bucket truck? Will the contractor remove all debris? Stump?

I go with a professional and don't sweat the price, as long as it is within reason. No amateurs for me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
A big one is will a climber be used or a bucket truck?

There's a company here in St. Louis that has a hybrid. It's a big boom truck with a harvester on the end. It will reach up, grab what he wants to cut, cut it while he's holding onto it, and swing around and set it on the ground. Only takes 1 guy to run it and avoids stuff falling where it shouldn't.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Someone going door to door giving "free estimates" for anything is always the most expensive. They are looking for people who have done no research and just jump at the offer.

They tend to be just getting started, too. Knowledgeable people don't just tend to have experience, they tend to have access to good people and equipment - which seems to be borne out by the reviews.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I just spent $1000.00 to have a downed Blue Spruce removed.

The stump is still there until we get better weather, and that will be another $300.00 to be removed.

This is a company local to me with a good reputation.

I paid as I have a bum shoulder, and no longer have a pickup. I sold the pickup as I paid more for insurance than I did for fuel on that vehicle.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
the last guy must get a better price for firewood.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like my recent shower renovation. I got estimates from a number of tile guys just for the labor to tile our new shower. They were all over the place. One guy quoted $4k. A few were ~$3k. Several were $1500-$2k, which is about what we had been expecting. Ended up going with a highly recommended guy for $1600.

I never could figure out why there was such a disparity... The highest estimates were 2x-3x the price of the others.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I think the professionals will charge less as they are much more efficient. They will show up w/ maintained tools and 2-3 men. They will be done very quickly and be doing X+ jobs in one day thanks to scheduling for the area.

The other quotes are probably considered one full days work.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the professionals will charge less as they are much more efficient. They will show up w/ maintained tools and 2-3 men. They will be done very quickly and be doing X+ jobs in one day thanks to scheduling for the area.

The other quotes are probably considered one full days work.

There's some truth to that as well. I would actually put the pros in the middle of the pack as there are always the unlicensed/uninsured types that will be the low ballers.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
+1000 on checking their insurance

My FIL had a tree crew cut a large tree on his property and they screwed up and let it hit his neighbors house as it came down. He told them it was THEIR problem to fix and wouldn’t even talk to them after they did that.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
As others have said, you don't understand the price until one comes to rest in your living room.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of variables here. I did not even think of the unseen damage that a dropped tree could do to a concrete driveway. My neighbor used a top of the line professional to drop his tree and they laid out large cushions on the driveway to soften the impact. I never would have thought of that.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Friends, that are not real friends suck. Good for you for doing him right. Him, screw him.

This really screams like a SF chainsaw get together. Man if I was near you I would be in. Some buddies with chainsaws, wedges, sledges, ropes and chains and trucks. Hell we could get it down, then a bit of shoot'in and couple of beers.

That could all be done for $50 bucks. Smile

Those prices for one damn tree to come down makes me sad. This is America, where are the men! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post